Tremolo Help Please (how do Cusak & Catalinbread SOUND compared to Diamond?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EchoGecko, Jan 18, 2015.

1. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Been getting back into guitar seriously now (just played casually the past few years for numerous reasons) and am rebuilding my pedal collection. One of my favorite effects is tremolo and I'm having a tough time figuring out the one I want.

I got the Wampler Latitude for Christmas. The effect sounds great but it is going back…the #1 reason is it alters your basic tone (sucks some bass out, adds some upper mids). So, I ordered the Diamond and Empress to test against it.

The Empress is DEAD QUIET and does not change your tone a bit. I like that it has presets and love (and I mean LOVE) the brake! I don't really like the "tube" waveform though, and the rhythm selections are cool but not that big a deal to me. In the end, the trem sounds a bit sterile and not very inspiring to play.

The Diamond I love. All four waveforms sound awesome IMO and it just has VIBE and MOJO. Can't explain it any other way. In all the ways I set the Empress and Diamond to be as similar as possible, the Diamond was way more inspiring and just sounded better. Plus, you can do some crazy cool things with the Chop waveform!!

My beef with the Diamond is that it is CRAZY NOISY…I mean all kinds of noise going on when the pedal is engaged while the Empress is silent. Could there be something wrong with this particular pedal? [I can make a quick clip if needed…what's the easiest way to upload sound files?]

The other things are that I really wish it had the brake. Presets would be cool too, but it is what it is. I think you can send to Diamond to get an expression pedal input to control speed, but that's extra $$ and I don't think it would really act like a brake (as in could you accurately return to faster speed?).

SO, that is why I am posting. The Cusak is feature-laden but it seems so much so that I wonder how it actually sounds. The newer Catalinbread seems cool too. I wonder if the exp inserts could be used as an accurate brake?

Anyway, basically wondering how the Cusak and Catalinbread sound as compared to Diamond. Anyone have all three? Do they have the mojo of the Diamond??

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

had all of them.
    You cannot go wrong with any of them, they are all great!

I have the Diamond now

3. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

You've had all of them but you went with Diamond? What was the deciding factor? Did you happen to notice the Diamond's mojo factor above the rest? Basically I'm just wondering if the Cusak and Catalinbread are worth trying and if they can do the brake thing like the Empress.

Also, is your Diamond noisy when engaged? Mine is hella noisy…really bad! I'm thinking there's something wrong.

http://youtu.be/zsT1WT1QwJc

4. Cormorant_

Cormorant_ Member

Pay the $ for the Spaceman Voyager.

Coldcraft Harmonic is my second fav.

Both are quiet.

5. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Oooooooo that is STEEP. Coldcraft doesn't have tap…need tap. Thanks for the suggestions though.

6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I really liked the woody tone of the Diamond but it was too noisey (raised the noise floor) for me too.

The one in that video sounds broken though.

-bEn r.

7. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

How are you powering the diamond trem ? Some terms can get noisy when powered differently.
    I've owned most of the trems you mentioned and I ended up keeping the diamond. Mine is dead quiet.

8. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

In the video it's battery powered but I've tried via power supply with same result.

9. TBLebowski

TBLebowski Member

I've had the Cusack, Semaphore and the Diamond trems...I still have the Diamond. I liked the Semaphore as it was a little more creative, But it was noisier that the Diamond IIRC. My Diamond is dead silent unless Its not on isolated power, I can hear the rate pulse heavily otherwise. That diamond n the video sounds broken...

10. 9520575

9520575 Member

[​IMG]

Here are some I've done a side by side comparison with. I kept the cusack on the board because of several key features 1 being the break two being the stereo. I also didn't have any issues with a daimond as far as Vibe or tone goes. I didn't find it parted any impact on my tone at all. I found it to be an amazing tremolo with lots of great features. the features it had though were ones that I never use. the cusak have more features than that were useful to me. The noise issue just never happened with me.

I'm a huge tremolo freak, so i was actually hooking these up to my oscillascope and noting all the shape and speeds and what not. There was no added noise with the diamond.

The funny thing with all the features there were something the diamond can do the cusack can't, the duty cycle control, the random function, and some of the rythmic patterns.

The cusack has 24 different waves. Stereo panning, that break feature, presets and more. Great tremolo

11. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I have a Diamond Trem and it is great. I don't hear noise at all. As far as tone changing, I actually think it changes it for the better (maybe not so much, but it's what I percieve and like it! Lol)

I think the diamond Trem is great for something under $250/$300. If I had $500/$700 for it then id look at something more advanced.

12. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

I may have been confusing in my post…I think the Diamond has vibe all day long (which is why I like it better than the Empress which sounds just too perfect to me) and sounds killer (no adverse affect on tone). It's the Wampler that I consider to be a tone sucker.

See, the 24 waves seems a bit ridiculous to me, and I just wonder if it will sound as good as the Diamond. I also love the chop waveform in the diamond…can the Cusak do that?

Yeah, the Diamond sounds great. I definitely think there is something wrong with this one though.

13. 9520575

9520575 Member

The diamond and the cusack sound identical if they are set to the same wave shape. The cusack does not have duty cycle control. That is what chop mode is the depth becomes a duty cycle knob.

For what is worth the danoelectro tuna melt and the diamond were identical on "shark fin" mode and square wave. Barring the tuna melt has no depth control on square wave mode.

14. Cormorant_

Cormorant_ Member

Also, Cusack is an awesome company to work with.

Email Tony and I'm sure he will hammer out any particulars you have.

15. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

If you're looking for a trem with presets, expression pedal input, a brake, etc., then you might not be interested in the easy-to-use Basic Audio Throbby. But if you're looking for mojo and versatility in one relatively simple pedal, this one's got it! I've got one on its way to me after participating in the current Basic Audio Tourbox. Check it out:

It sounds great and looks cool, too! :aok

16. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I dig my Black Cat Mini Trem. I had a Demeter too and that sounded great as well. What I dig most about he Black Cat is the Speed doubler switch and the Boost feature.

17. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Wow, great video musica23! Thanks!

18. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

No problem! If you're into trem (or not...I never considered myself a trem freak by any means before trying the Throbby), you oughta play one. And John (of Basic Audio) is a very cool guy, too. I'm in no way affiliated, btw. I'm just excited to receive my new Throbby!

19. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Yeah, that's one of the things that is so fun about the Diamond…bringing the depth to around noon (or maybe less) with a super-fast setting in Chop mode. It becomes something other than a tremolo. I just found it FUN and interesting. And I can see it being very useful when dialed in subtly enough with overdrive…kind-of a textural thing that would leave other guitar players wondering what that sound was.

If only I could combine everything I like about the Wampler, Empress and Diamond…I'd be set!

_____

Yeah, both the Throbby and the Black Cat sound great!

20. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

:aok
    Love the Throbby. My favourite trem and I've owned/played a lot of them.

If the OP needs tap though, my favourite was the Diamond. I've never played a trem pedal that didn't raise the noise floor a bit, they all do that. I didn't think the Diamond was overly-noisy though.