Tremolo newbie, looking for tap

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rschultz13, Mar 2, 2015.

1. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Hi,

I've never owned a tremolo. I know what they do, but don't have any experience. I think I would want tap.

The Flint looks way cool, but probably out of my price range.

Jack Rabbit has tap and is possibly affordable. The selector knob reminds me of the TC Electronic tone print pedals (Hall of Fame, etc). Lots of versatility, but in reality I'd probably only use the Sine Wave. So versatility is great, but not a necessity.

Boss TR-2 gets a lot of love. No tap. Not sure.

Throbby is also highly praised, I don't think this does tap... I could be wrong.

It's conceivable that I get a basic one now and gain some experience with it, then trade up to a better one later. Any suggestions? Price range <$150.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

My first and last trem is the Empress Tremolo 2. It is extremely versatile and easy to dial in.

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Firstly- nice to see another Aurora guy on here (although i just moved away, literally 2 days ago)

secondly- if you've never owned a trem before it may be jumping the gun to get tap tempo. I used to want a term with tap, but once i got one i realized the only reason i needed a tap tempo was for the super choppy synth-type sounds (which i almost never used live). I'd recommend getting a used/inexpensive basic one first and see if it works for your needs. The Dano Tuna Melt is a great inexpensive tremolo, as is the Garagetone Tremolo. Start there then upgrade if you want/need the extra features.

Cheers!

4. rschultz13

Thanks. I edited my post to show my price range. Unfortunately the ET2 doesn't fit...

:)

5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

No tap on the Throbby, but it is amazing though!

If you really want Tap and simplicity, don't overlook the Diamond trem. They pop up used for a great price. Amazing sound, no overkill features.

I used it for a while, but never found myself using tap tempo. With trem, I prefer it to sound more free rather than be perfectly in time (which is VERY hard to tap in, mind you). That's why my favourite trems are non-tap; the Throbby and Tremolessence.

6. Serenity

Serenity Member

7. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter.
    Empress Tremolo (1st version)

8. Yarnhawk

Yarnhawk Member

Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter! Tap, versatility, and budget friendly. I love mine.

9. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I'm using the Suhr Jack Rabbit. Typically just use the sine wave, but it's nice having options. The pedal is standard size and doesn't take up horizontal pedal space.

The 3 position switch is great, allowing you to set for quarter, eighth, or triplets. I usually leave it set for eighths. Saves having to tap so quickly for those faster waves. Tap can also be done via remote switch, or the "strum" method found in some delay pedals.

The level control allows you to use as a very nice volume boost when the depth control is at the minimum (off) setting.

This pedal sounds great and replaced my SupaTrem. I often use it as my only modulation effect.

10. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

The Diamond is very, very good, if you can stretch your budget a little further...

11. rschultz13

Keep em coming. I just got some money in my Paypal account and can't decide:)

12. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I'm loving my Dawner Prince Starla. It does everything (except pattern trem, which I find weird anyway).

13. Prizefighter

Prizefighter Supporting Member

Diamond (my preference) and Empress are the way to go. If you are patient you can find them around $150-160 at times.

14. the tourist

the tourist Member

The best I've ever played is the Dr. Scientist Tremolessence. Loved it but I had to sell it unfortunately, but I'll probably replace it soonish. The features were amazing, as was the sound quality.

15. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Personally, I'm of the opinion that tap is a bad idea on trem - inasmuch as I would never not buy a good trem pedal because it didn't have a tap tempo. I can see how a self-described trem newbie might think it's an important feature, but I don't know. I just can't do it. I have a Flint on one board and a Diamond on another, and I'd highly recommend either pedal, but the tap function itself doesn't work the way you'd think with trem. I don't want it to match the tempo with quarter notes, or eighth notes, or triplets like I might with a delay. I guess maybe some people are going for something totally different, but if so I haven't heard any of their music, because almost everything I've heard that uses trem, it's like a good Fender amp trem. It's set to a good fast or slow speed, and left there.

16. Pretzmidtown

Pretzmidtown Member

I agree the Diamond is the best Tremolo I've personally ever played (ABOUT $150 used I think? I know much more new). However, it is was a little much for me price to keep so traded in to get some other gear. The Boss TR-2 is honestly a terrific tremolo. It really gets the job done. No tap of course, but I don't miss tap as much on trem as I do for delay.