1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tremolo pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iggs, Mar 13, 2006.

Tremolo pedal choice.

1. TC Jauernig Luxury Twin Rate Tremolo

2. Monster Effects Swamp-Thang

3. Voodoo Labs Tremolo

4. Fulltone Supa-Trem

5. Red Witch Pentavocal Tremolo

6. Cusack Music Tap-a-whirl

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iggs

iggs Member

Hey all,
    looking for a tremolo pedal, need some help.
    True Bypass is a must and Tap Tempo would be nice.

Thanks all!

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've owned the Swamp Thang, Supa-Trem, and Fluttertone. I did not really care for the Supa-Trem. I found it to be "cold" and non-musical. Maybe if you are looking for straight hard chop all the time it may do the trick. I really liked the Fluttertone for versatility. It won't get full on stutter, but it has great tone and a very full range of speed and depth plus an external volume control. The Swamp Thang is the warmest trem I've tried. It really sounds like an amp trem, not a stompbox. What it does it does wonderfully, but I think it's a limited sound. I find it best going slow and yes, swampy as the name implies. Lots of good ones out there, good luck.

3. autopilot

autopilot Member

from the one you listed i voted for the red witch. others trem you should consider ar the catalinbread semaphore and the 4ms tremulus lune.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have been searching for the perfect trem for awhile now. I reluctantly purchased a Keeley TR-2 at the advice of a trusted friend/player but did to humor him and give me a trem while I waited to see if the still yet to be released latest Tremit is what I have been looking for. Anyway, I have been VERY pleased with the Keeley TR-2. Not that price was an influencing factor, but it was a nice bonus. Before this I was using a Bennett Tejas Trem but it was too choppy for my tastes.

I would check out the Keeley mod'd TR-2, not many give it a chance because it's a Boss and the TR-2 has issues...but Keeley has fixed those issues and turned it into a tremolo that easily ranks up with the more popular boutique versions.

Don't forget the Area 51 trem you can add to your amp. I am still waiting to hear actual clips of it in action.

...and as a reference, to me the perfect trem is the one found on my Vox...sure wish I could shove it in a box and put it on my board.

5. iggs

iggs Member

Thanks all,

where in the signal chain would you place the tremolo? Before or after OD/Dist?

6. mprvise

mprvise Member

Swamp Thang gets my vote as well - most amp like and warmest I've ever tried. But no tap tempo and it's an odd shape if you have a pedal board.

I've always run trem after OD/dist.

7. autopilot

autopilot Member

after, but if you use light overdrive you can put it before, its a matter of experimentation.

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i'm going to vote for a few not on your list.......i dig the prescription throb..has 2 channels....also the toneczar powerglide looks amazing, but i've never tried it.........and i think you should definately check out the Menatone trem if you're looking for a musical, inspiring trem....that's one of the best tremolos ive ever played through

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm a trem freak. Most of my amps have trem, and I own a Victoria Reverbarato as well. For the amps that need a trem pedal, I LOVE the Frantone Vibutron. Dead silent, has three modes (from hard chop to smooth wave and a setting in-between), very flexible and just plain great sounding. I've owned many of the other boutique brands out there---this is my fave.

10. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I vote for another trem not on your list. That trem is by T-REX it is a very nice warm mellow trem not a chopppy trem. I think it is the most musical trem I've heard to date.

11. shblay

shblay Member

voting for the catalinbread semaphore. I love mine. Very versatile and very musical. You can dial in very light trem effects to deep throbbing tones. It can also do choppy/stutter effects with ease. And it has a volume control which really helps the effect come through.

12. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

+1 on the Frantone Vibutron. I've tried a few of the high end ones recently, and found the Vibutron to be the best. YMMV.

13. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

wow VOODOO WON??? Amazing

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

None of the above: Demeter Tremulator (still the one I prefer). Been waiting 10 mos. for a Toneczar Powerglide, I think it'll give the Demeter a fight.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just out of curiousity...why is "True Bypass a must"?`
    Usually tremolos are way late in the chain...not a bad place to have a pedal with a good buffer, y'know?

16. Marius M

Marius M Member

Nothing beats the Demeter Tremulator in my opinion.

17. iggs

iggs Member

I use RC Booster at the end of the chain to goose the signal up a bit and restore some of the high end loss ... but it's more for the studio work, that way I don't have to take the pedal out of the signal chain when not in use. In general, no matter how transparent pedals are, if they are buffered, they ALWAYS change the sound ... not always for worse, but they do change it and I don't want to risk it being for the worse ... ;)

18. iggs

iggs Member

Hey all,

thanks so much for you replies and votes ... great resource as always ... after some more research and a demo I ended up getting the RedWitch Pentavocal Trem ... it seems to be the most versatile of them all and since I need it for live and studio work, the extra voicings will definitely help. It sounds fantastic ... built like a tank, true bypass ... Bottom control can create some interesting sounds, Soft/Hard switch will come in handy live.
    Thanks again!

19. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i love love love the supa-trem tremolo. i think it pwns.

20. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I am also a big fan of the Keeley TR2. I had the pedal before I sent it to Keeley and Keeley totally fixed all of the issues with the pedal. It not has the ability to not only offer nice, full tremolo, but it also has an output control that can substantially boost your signal when engaged. So, no more volume drop when you engage the trem. You can match your signal, lower or boost it. I find the Keeley very smooth and lush.