1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tremolo Pedals - Who/What/Where

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GeraldCleveland, Nov 29, 2005.

1. GeraldCleveland

GeraldCleveland Member

Lately, I've been digging the sound of the tremolo's on the fender amps. I've been tinkering with a Vibro King and Vibroverb at a local music store and I'm finding that I like the tremolo set very subtle in my tone chain. It just add's a dimension that I find very pleasing. Problem is, I'm not about to give up either of my Soldano's for a Fender.

Question: does anybody make, have, or recommend a decent tremolo pedal.

2. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Supporting Member

Tremolo is a funny effect. A big problem with lots of the units out there is there's a significant volume drop when the unit is engaged. Make sure whatever one you pick has some way to adjust the volume to compensate for this. The Boss TR-2 is a good sounding unit but needs some help in this department. If you're looking boutique, there are quite a few offerings out there. The best one I've ever heard is the Austone Vibrostomp.

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

The best by far that Ive ever heard is the Peavy Valveverb. It's a rack unit, not a pedal and it gives you both verb and trem that's close enough to vintage Fender to pass the smell test. They were discintinued a few years ago, so you'll have to hunt for one.

4. HHB

HHB Member

find the discountinued Boss PN-2, a fantastic trem pedal

5. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Just started using trem pedals and I like the Swamp Thang pretty well. It has an automatic boost that keeps the volume drop from being an issue. Two different settings, one is unusable for me but the other works really well. Soon as I get a damaged leslie cab fixed I think that's what I'll use instead of the pedal, though.

The Valveverb is a super unit, too. I think 99% of listeners wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and the Fender outboard reverbs- especially when playing with a band- and it's wayyy cheaper.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

This is true, however not with the Keeley mod'd TR-2. I recently purchased one from another member and am very happy with it. I will put my tremolo search on hold finally and await the arrival of the latest and greatest Tremit.

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

I also have one of these and agree that it is a great unit. Unfortunately I just don't bring my rack stuff out to gigs anymore. Lately I've been using a Swamp Thang and it does just what I want - vintage style trem effect. If you're looking for a more modern square type trem, or looking for something that goes really fast, this is not the one for you. But if you are looking for vintage Fender it definitely has that covered, and with the 1/2 speed switch on it's one of the slowest trems I've ever played.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've had the Supra-trem, the Nobels TR-X, and the Demeter Tremulator.

All get great reviews, but I couldn't stand them. The best sounding one of them was the TR-X for me, but I founf the box flimsy and more controls than I wanted on a trem.

Recently I built a BYOC (www.buildyourownclone.com) tremolo clone. I was in love with it. It was perfect, and had that swamp trem, that excellent control in the depth, speed was nice to adjust. The kit took me about a half to 3/4 of a day...it was perfect. I thought "finally I got the trem I wanted" (they have sound clips on their site by the way).

But..I bought the kit without high hopes, thought it would be fun to build and I could more easily try out some mods myself...when I bought it the guy was on vacation so I thought it might take a while....in the meantime I bought a Marshall VT-1 (vibra-trem).

I tried to cancel it with the person I was buying it from but he'd already sent it. I thought...okay, I'll try it.

I tried it. It was better than the kit, but barely. It has a little more (but not too much) control, the vibe is a true vibrato, not a "vibe" but like what Hendrix uses in "New Rising Sun" where it quavers the notes.

I highly recommend both the last I mentioned.

Only thing with the VT-1, I don't know the state of the battery in it, (maybe it is dead) but I usually use power, so when I accidentally didn't plug it in to the supply, I was getting no trem or vibrato...probably no battery in it, but some folks on HC mentioned something similar WITH a battery in it...so it might be that you have to plug into a power supply. I don't care, i love this thing and it is not expensive...

I personally am seeing a lot of instances where small or butique pedals fall short, and tremolos is one of them.

The BYOC has an internal pot (and since you put it together, or can buy one assembled) you can adjust the on volume. Don't know if I can on the VT-1 but I think it sounds right as is.

The Supra-Trem I had didn't have the adjust pot, but newer ones do.

That's all I know about trems, except I used to have a beautiful one built-in to an old Gibson tube amp, that I loved, and both of these get it as I remember it, whereas the supra-trem and the tremulator really, really, did not.

9. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

10. mprvise

mprvise Member

Tom, care to elaborate on the Red Witch? Do you own one? That damn thing came out about a month after I got my Swamp Thang and I've been haunted by it ever since. :(

11. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I recently bought a Marshall VT-1 from a member here. It is a decent trem.

As a point of reference I like the trem/vibrato from the Brown tolex Fenders. Although I don't have one of those amps around these days, it seems like I can get those sort of tones out of this pedal.

12. rabbit

rabbit Member

I don´t have much experience with various trem pedals but I like my T-rex Tremster. It is designed to emulate a vintage Fender trem so this might be one you´d like to consider. It is very lush and buttery and also features a Vol knob (see first reply of TwoFeets).

13. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Yeah, I own 12 of them. :D

I'll be posting a review in the next day or so. One of a dozen fun things on my to-do list. :dude

14. granite

granite Member

I use a Kaden Fluttertone. I like a mild trem effect like you do and it won't cost you as much as the other units mentioned. It also has a volume knob on the side. Cool little pedal. Worth a look. Sound samples below. $139 at ToneFactor.

http://www.kadeneffects.com/fluttertone2.htm

15. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Fulltone Supa Trem, had mine for years, still love it.

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

http://toneczareffects.com/lg-pedals-trem.htm

The Toneczar Powerglide is a much raved about Tremolo... I own the Echoczar and can attest to build quality and amazing analog sound and dynamics. The Powerglide clips sound amazing and all the reviews have been pretty shining... check it out for yourself!

-TJK

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

the catalinbread tremolo pedal is a very versatile pedal with great sound

www.catalinbread.com for soundclips

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Never liked the PN2 I had, it was noisy.

I'm very happy with the Guyatone flip-does a very nice Fender style trem and also a killer pan mode.

The Valverb is the mac daddy, although mine seems a bit fussy about where in the signal chain it comes and doesn't really like to be overdriven...

19. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

+1 on the fluttertone. do wish i had tap tempo sometimes though.