Tremolo, Phaser or Vibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minjason, Mar 6, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

I think I'm pretty happy with my drives/delays/verbs and have some room on my board for a modulation effect. i'm mainly interested in either a tremolo, phaser or vibe pedal, but don't have too much experience with these effects. which one would you choose and why? can one be made to sound like the others? any particular models you would recommend?
    if it helps, my band plays ambient, spacey rock/alternative music. any and all suggestions welcome!

2. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

how about a maxon ph350 which is sorta like a combination of all 3?

3. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

The Maxon PH350 is the greatest phaser I've ever tried, and I don't doubt you can get excellent vibe-sounds out of it (I'm not a vibe connoisseur, so I don't really have an opinion on this), but there's no way you'd get a tremolo sound out of this box that I know of. But still, a very good suggestion for the scenario described by the original poster. This phaser can be everything from very subtle to completely dominating your sound.

4. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Trust me, for the style of music your band plays you'll get much more use out of a Tremolo than from a Phaser or Vibe.

Check these out...Empress Trem, Cusack Tap a Whirl, Fulltone Supa-Trem

5. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

A Red Witch Phaser will give you a bit of all three!

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Vibes are cool and great for ambient music but I can't live without my tremolo.

7. minjason

minjason Member

these are great suggestions guys...keep em coming! it's looking like a tremolo might be the way to go...

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have some vibes, tremolos, and choruses...

I used to have them on my board, but I noticed I only used trem for two songs (at the moment) and vibe for a couple, chorus once in a while.

So I always have liked the "organic" sounding Visual Sound H2O, and found that in a pinch the chorus..mainly because unlike many chorus it has a control also for "width" which lets me adjust a LOT how it sounds, I find it can approximate good enough tremolo, can do a faux leslie, and the chorus is very nice...not trebly, and the way I set it, not thin or trebly.

In addition the delay (they call it echo) is very nice and in the loop especially, does everything I need.

So, as a first pedal, I'd go for the H2O, then see if I wanted a true trem or vibe later.

9. HBob

HBob Member

Ditto on the Empress Tremolo. It's great for that spacey, ambient stuff. The patterns keep things from getting "old". With the depth set to the max and ( on any of the three wave shapes ) you can get great sounds for your rhythm playing.

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

I like both tremolo and Vibe, but I don't care for most phasers. I recently traded someone here for one of those older gold Fulltone Deja Vibes and in addition to a great univibe sound, you can get a faster trem sound going too. You just can't do the real choppy stuff.

If I can only pick one, I'll take vibe. I used to have a BYOC trem on the floor in my last band and I hardly ever stepped on it.

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Don't forget a rotating speaker simulator like the Option 5 Destination Single which nails a single speaker Leslie sound. Very "Beatle-y". They used that effects on so many tunes like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and one version of "Let it Be" and possibly "Lucy in the Sky" Very similar to a Vibe but less "watery" and possibly a bit "choppier". At slow rotations it is vert chorusy.

12. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I play spacey, ambient music too. Tremolo for me.

13. starfish

starfish Member

I agree, if you're looking for one box, the Moon Phaser is very compelling. The uni-vibe setting is actually pretty good. IIRC the third click from the left on cosmology.

14. benjammin

benjammin Member

I'm going to put a vote in for a vibe pedal, especially the ones from Bob Sweet. They are totally smoking. You can get great tremolo for pretty cheap (Catalinbread comes to mind), and there are some affordable phasers, but I think a high quality vibe is the best investment and will give you a huge array of spacey tones. Check them out!

15. improv4

improv4 Member

Try 'em all. Pedals like that work great as a creative conduit. I love my phaser with a foot controller on the speed. Let your ears be the deciding factor. Of course, don't tell your wallet I said that!
    Well, good luck on your search.

16. chi chi wah

chi chi wah Member

Psilocybe for phaser and a pulsar for tremolo - great combination.

17. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I just ordered a Red Witch Phaser/Trem but a Deja Vibe is very cool too. The Red Witch samples are pretty good and seem like they'd give a wide array of colors and tones.

18. mprvise

mprvise Member

Psilocybe for phaser
    Frantone Vibutron for trem
    Sweetsound Mojo Vibe for vibe

I own several trems and a few vibes (just one phaser) - these are my favorites. Trem sees the most use at my gigs.

19. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I have had vibes, phasers, and trems and know that a phaser when used right can cop a vibe or a trem feel. Really.

20. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

So is the Red Witch Phaser a better option for trem/univibe than the red witch trem? I already have a phase 90, but I am looking for a trem, univibe sounds would be a bonus...