1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tremolo Question: VL vs. Red Witch...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bushmill, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bushmill

bushmill Supporting Member

So, as GAS makes up a fair amount of my blood, I am looking at my Tremolo and thinking, Hmmm...Maybe I need something else? I currently have a Voodoo Lab 4 knob Trem and have been pretty happy. However, the Red Witch pedals have given me pause and I am interested in the new Petavocal Tremolo...Would the Penta be a step up from the VL?? Or more of the same in a different box? How about the Moon Phaser? Step up from the VL or more of the same? I know I would gain the Phase aspect, but how about the Trem?
    Cheers!

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've got simliar questions,

I mentioned on another thread that I want to trade up from my Demeter. I'd like something with stellar tone, more options and the ability to adjust any volume lift/drop.

Considering Red Witch, Caitlinbread and Cusack.

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

if you like trem, the moon phaser isn't going to get you there. The low end totally drops out (only on the trem setting) for a really lofi sounding trem. sounds awsome, but i had to get rid of it, because i needed a better trem. I was lucky enough to catch cusack's attention when i put my moon phaser up for trade and he actually traded me for a brand new tap a whirl. Ive had the tap a whirl for about 2 weeks, and it instantly became a hit on my pedal board.

you can check out my signal chain in my signature. i'm pretty sure i'm done buying pedals for a while. the only thing i can see happening is adding a smooth overdrive for leads and a fuzz.

anyways, honestly, get the cusack. it is by far the most thought out pedal i have ever layed my eyes on, sounds amazing (COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT), extremely versatile, and you won't find these features on any other trem pedal.

this pedal is a work of art.

4. Yek

Yek Member

Indeed, the Cusack tremolo has no flaws, extremely versatile. There's no reason, except for price, to consider another type.

5. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i've owned one.. only returend because i got a malfunctioning one.. and as far as i know that happens very very rearly because those products are very well build!!

anyway it was a lovely unit! i owned the carl martin tremovibe, demeter tremulator, zvex seek-trem, moog ring mod, george dennis tremolo and played the boss tr-2 many times in stores. well the red witch was an awesome play! i think it all depends on what you are looking for...

carlmartin: awesome warm tremolo
    demeter: nice.. nothing really special but good!
    zvex: well it's a unique game.. can't get really smooth sounds out of it but weird unheard tremolo sound
    moog: analogish and warm aaall the way!
    boss: nice.. nothing special.

red witch: more knobs than most trems though less than the zvex.. ;) it was more clear but with lots of warm soundings. good acting volume knob.

i heard the powerglide from chirssy this week and it sounded awesome! huge and warm!

but back to your original question... :
    i think it would be an upgrade from your voodoo, yes!

6. BenFulton

BenFulton Member

I don't think bushmill was refering to the Moon Phaser Trem - I think he was refering to our Pentavocal Tremolo - which is a different kettle of fish.

Hmmmm, Jon wanted a Moon Phaser? - he should have emailed me directly - company to company trades are cool!

Cheerio,

Ben

7. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

Hey, I love company to company trades! What do you want, lets trade some stuff!

8. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I love the Pentavocal Trem. It's one of nicest tremolos I've ever heard, and definitely unique. But I've seen a few people confuse the Moon Phaser "Tremophase" with the Pentavocal. I've also heard people that were disappointed that the Tremophase on their Moon Phaser didn't really cut it as a stand alone tremolo. It's not supposed to - it's a "tremolo-like" phase on that setting, but the pedal is still a phaser. I think the Pentavocal is perfect for the people who wanted the Tremophase on their Moon Phaser to do an all out trem, and the two pedals compliment each other well. They're both great at catching that haunting, atmospheric vibe...

9. meterman

meterman Member

I've got the Voodoo Lab trem and I think it actually sounds very good. Good control from the 4 knobs too, can go deep/slow up to rapid stutter, and sounds very much like a BF trem. The volume knob is a nice feature and there is some clean boost available too. Unfortunately, I have had four (4) switches go bad on me, and even though John at VL was great to deal with and got the problem resolved quickly I got frustrated with the reliability of the switches. I'm using a Bruce Bennett Pulsator Trem now which is cool sounding, not as versatile as the VL and not so much a BF sound but suits me fine. The Bennett is more lo-fi and actually has a nice gain boost in it that can really push your amp into some raunchy old blues tones, very cool....I should say that trem is not part of my main sound, and I usually only use it once or twice a night at a gig.

Regarding the Moon Phaser, I'd just say that if you like swirly and you've got the cash get one. I love mine, it is big and clear sounding with great low end response, warm and hi-fi at the same time and has some great phase tones in it. It is on the subtle side, which I prefer but if you want crazy over the top phasing look elsewhere. But for liquid, watery phasing with a nice percussive pick attack if you want it the Moon Phaser is excellent. I'm still finding new tones in mine, the Trajectory knob is pretty deep...for straight up trem, I found it passable but not particularly useful or versatile, most settings of the Trajectory knob lose too much low end. But it can do a pretty good Univibe sound, a great Phase90-ish phase, and some very swirly, underwater sounding phase....build and audio quality of Ben's stuff is excellent (the inside of the Moon Phase is pretty amazing), so I'm sure the Pentavocal trem is a cool pedal. There was a review here or at Toyz recently if I recall.......If I was a heavy trem user I'd be looking at Ben's, the ToneCzar and the Cusack....