Tremolo Recommendations

axm.88

I've really wanted to get a trem for my board, and the Suhr Jack Rabbit looks versatile, intuitive, and simple. Could anyone else recommend any other great tremolos? I've seen the Flint, while sounding good, it didn't have enough functionality for me, lacking strum tempo, waveform shapes etc. I usually play more rock/blues/metal oriented music. I'm running a LP into a Marshall TSL 60. I'd most likely by the pedal used, with a budget under $250. Thanks for all your input!

Black_Label

I really like the tone of the Lovepedal trems - Babyface and Tremelo. The Tremelo has tap tempo, multiple wave shapes and works really well as a clean boost when you're not tremming. The CB Gravitas looks really cool, with a ton of features but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
Consider the Diamond, which has tap tempo, four waveforms, three subdivisions, a rhythmic mode, a random mode, and an ability to boost or cut signal. It's also surprisingly intuitive for how versatile it is.

Though it really doesn't match your needs, I have also been glancing at the Tidal Waveforms (aka Fuzzhugger) Tremulust, which is two tremolos in one housing and seems like a good pedal to inspire new ideas.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
How much do you plan on using tremolo? If not that much, then there are plenty of decent options. Its one of my favorite effects and I want vintage, amp-like smooth tremolo. I just got a Chase Bliss Gravitas and I am blown away. I've had many trems including a Toneczar powerglide and none of them sound as rich and amp-like as this thing! Plus it has options out the wazoo with which I haven't even scratched the surface. I have seen a few used ones at your budget. The only trem I can imagine sounding as good or better is the Kingsley Bard, but the ability to vary parameters and save presets lured me.

Josh

axm.88

I'd use it mostly for a vintage style amp effect, or a more choppy "How soon is Now" style. The diamond looks nice, but has a bit of a large footprint for something that isn't one of my main effects.

axm.88

The Starla is intriguing, but if there was an alternative at a lower price, I'd take that.

rbrmfld

I just got the MF Trem from Moog and I love it. It's not too pricey and you've got an out for an expression pedal to control the speed of the tremolo.
$120 for the pedal (used) and $40 for the expression pedal isn't bad at all.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Diamond and Suhr are my two favorites after trying a bunch. Side by side, with similar settings, they can sound very much the same with the Suhr being ever so slightly warmer. Can't go wrong with either of them.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
It sounds like you're a tweaker and want to really hone in on different sounds. In that case, I would definitely recommend finding a used Gravitas. There are trems that are highly tweakable, small, or sound like great amp trem, but honestly in my opinion, none check all the boxes you're looking for like the Gravitas.

Josh

vonasemj

I recently when through this same process. I ended up choosing the Suhr based on sound, features, size, and price. I have to say I'm quite happy with it.

highgeer

Gold Supporting Member
Chase Bliss Gravitas, Empress Tremolo 2, and Suhr Jack Rabbit are my recommendations in different price points. The Suhr is a great small package and sounds good. Empress has a lot going on, but is intuitive and sounds great. The Gravitas is different (in a good way); it takes a bit of getting use to. It sounds amazing, and I have not even scratch the surface of what it can do.

Mike

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Many amazing options:

Moog, Empress, Menatone, Greer, Diamond, Flint, Throbby etc. etc.

Last edited:

rbrmfld

Oh, also check out the Matthew's Effects Conductor! Another amazing option with tons of things to tweak. Also a tap tempo

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I'd use it mostly for a vintage style amp effect, or a more choppy "How soon is Now" style. The diamond looks nice, but has a bit of a large footprint for something that isn't one of my main effects.
I understand where yer coming from. As I don't use it much at all either but I love to have it to pull on. In the end the size was worth it to me, especially cuz of all the options it provides. It makes it universally applicable in whatever music context I wanna use it in.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I bought the Suhr, Jack Rabbit 8 or so months ago and to be honest, I'm not really digging it. It just seems to suck tone away from my guitar/amp set-up and isn't as warm and natural sounding as I'd hoped. As a result, I'm looking to sell my JR.
I know that nothing is going to be right for every rig and player, but I have to wonder if you might have gotten a bad one? I've compared the JR head to head with the tremolo on both of my amps and it's easily on par with a much broader range. I don't hear any more tone suck out of the JR than I hear out of any trem. Are you running it at unity or with the gain up a little? Have you tried it in isolation to rule out some weird interaction with another pedal?

Trending Topics