Tremolo - what’s good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flume, Aug 10, 2019.

1. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Plus, being able to set the rise-fall/duty cycle, you can make it as choppy or throbby as you want. The only thing I ever like better is a good old fashioned bias trem on an amp, which is still a one-trick pony.

2. Rococco

Rococco Member

The best throbbing tremolo I heard from a pedal was that big ugly yellow Fulltone Supa-Trem 2, it's so good especially when you play through 2 amps in stereo. Now I just settled with a big box Pulsar for its versatility, not as throbby but eh.

Squatch57 likes this.
  3. ragamuffin

ragamuffin Member

One I've found that I love is the Keeley Dynatrem, in particular the "dynamic rate" mode. Something about it is just really satisfying to me

4. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

5. kablez

kablez Member

i'm also looking, saving, scrounging, researching and gassing for a Stereo tremolo pedal.
    from what i've read, mostly here and some comments on youtube, amongst stereo trems the fulltone supa-trem seems the most favoured for its sound which causes me to lean towards it. the ehx super-pulsar looks amazingly versatile though, so at this point i would love to hear a comparison of these 2.

6. kablez

kablez Member

is it a super-pulsar ? if so, do you think the features of the super pulsar make up for what you lose to the supa-trem's sound?

7. 120db

120db Member

I bought a cheapie (Kmise) off Amazon for like $30, it works for me since I only use it once or twice a night.

8. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

I've got a Source Audio Vertigo.

Pros:
    - triangle -> sine -> square on a range of control so you can be slightly between triangle and sine and slightly between sine and square (where I usually sit.)
    - it has three distinct voices off the switch so you get opto, bias, and harmonic options easily and those are programmable to your settings and the app for other options.

Cons:
    - finicky with its power and can be a little noisy, may not play nicely with all other pedals, but get it isolated and its good
    - perhaps a bit digital on the end of the knob spectrum (depth especially)

Overall I love it. It covers a lot without even hooking it up to the app and setting some new toggle defaults, but I've done that and it is easy to use and covers a huge range of stuff, even some sequency-type patterns.

Omarerosas89 likes this.
  9. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I was playing around with my Tremolo pedals yesterday.

I was using a Fender Tele (ash body) into a Vox AC15.
    (skip to the end, if I am boring you :) )

EHX Super Pulsar has a lot going on, but its a bit tweak sensitive
    (easy to miss dialing in what you want).

BBE Tremor sounds great / new version looks great,
    but no waveform control.

Boss TR-2 - whisper quiet, but did notice a slight drop in volume / dynamics.
    (mine is from 2008)
    Got to say - not as big a fan, as most other people are,

Rowin Trelicopter - sounded surprisingly good, for such an inexpensive pedal.
    ( a bit of background noise though )

Danelectro / Billionaire "Filthy Rich" - deep / intense,
    but seemed a bit limited, as it only has a 2 way toggle (hard / soft)
    for the waveform.

Red Witch Pentavocal - lots of great sounds in here,
    but mine is a bit noisy (for the price range)

My fave of what I own - is the Greer Arbuckle.
    Again - no wave form control (it is what it is).

But it sounds fantastic , and is dead quiet (no hiss / white noise)

[​IMG]

10. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

I see people complaining online about noise from TR-2s, and I also see people saying they have no problems. It makes me think that either they have some quality control issues with them or there are years where they put in better components. I give mine isolated power, have moved it around the signal chain, still sounds like a lawn sprinkler. There are a lot of mods out there that address this problem.

11. Madsen

Madsen Member

I've had a few. They all worked well & sounded good. Just a matter of what frills sounded good to me at the time. Voodoo Labs Tremolo - good sounding mono trem, Gig FX Chopper - foot controlled stereo trem w/ some options, Dunlop TS-1 cheap solid stereo trem & my current trem pedal. Currently tempted to try out the Malekko Goatkeeper but it's a bit spendy for a tremolo.

12. mikefair

mikefair Supporting Member

Been using a Danelectro Cool Cat for years. Under 30 bucks used. Put the money you save back in your pocket. You're welcome.

13. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Looks like you can buy that right now

https://www.mrblackpedals.com/collections/pedals/products/deluxe-deluxeplus

14. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Super Pulsar is the bees knees, but not for smooth sine wave trem. That is the primary difference between the 2.

SP has a very limited range on doing that well, and IMO never does it as well as the ST.

So just depends on what you want. If I'm running distorted through a square wave or messing with other shapes, SP all day long. If I just want traditional panning back and forth and I want it as smooth as possible, ST-2.

15. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

lefort_1 likes this.
  16. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member

I have always agreed with this statement but recently feeling like its too square even with the mix down. I'm kind of thinking, that I may be, possibly, potentially, under the right circumstances, looking for a change. Not fully thinking it, but definitely kind of maybe.

17. d-rock

d-rock Supporting Member

To my knowledge, the mods to the TR-2 were only to fix the volume drop years ago. I've never once heard about quality control issues with Boss. Some of their pedals are inherently noisy though, like the GE-7. The TR-2 has been quiet and reliable for me for years.

18. ifallalot

Ahh, I get it

It is confusing

lefort_1 likes this.
  19. ifallalot

I love how the LED on that pedal blinks with the speed

Johnny Moondog likes this.
  20. Zooey

Zooey Member

The very best pedal tremolo I have tried, and I've been through a lot, is the Frantone Vibutron. Unfortunately they are expensive and hard to find. They have a very usable and musical range of depths and rates and waveforms, and they don't get washed out when used with heavy boost or gain.

justabubba likes this.