Tremolo with volume knob and THROB-B-B-B

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Super Locrian, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I recently bought a certain "boutique brand" tremolo from another forumite and expected my tremolo search to be over, but I found it lacking in several respects:

1. Volume drop when engaged
    2. Doesn't get slow enough
    3. Depth range is too subtle, effect almost unnoticeable until knob reaches 12 o'clock

I want a tremolo that can go from very subtle to a fat, pounding throb. I have come to realize that a volume control is an absolute must for this kind of effect (at least to me). I also try to avoid pedals that require anything different than the standard 9V, negative center 2.1 mm DC connector.

Other factors to consider:

Footprint: small preferred
    Tap tempo, different waveforms: Not required, but nice to have the option
    Ease of use: Yes, please :D

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'm a newcomer to the Boss Tremolo (TR-2)...simple, no tap tempo, but very tweakable from subtle to pacemaker-endangering. And wave form-selectable too.

Might want to take a look if you haven't tried one.

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Catalinbread Semaphore fits your bill except for no tap tempo.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

You just described the Empress Trem to a tee. Go to the site and listen to clips : http://www.empresseffects.com/tremolo.php

I just got one because as much as I loved the tone of my BYOC in isolation and on quiet songs, it would just get lost in the mix and I wanted something with tap tempo.

On the Empress Trem, 7 on it's Depth is the same as 10 on most trems. It can go so deep it's disorienting. The speed range goes easily from so obscenely slow it''s almost useless to so fast it sounds like a hummingbird. The volume control gives up to 6db of clean boost. It looks big in pics, but it's still a pretty small box compared to an EHX are any huge trem.

Just look at it in my pedal board here :

[​IMG]

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Ok I'll show off my pedal board too ! Cusack tap o whirl !!

[​IMG]

Has the cool Brake ( you can speed up and slow down stepping on the footswitch which is cool, like a leslie or something ) function that the Empress does not ( or you have to disable the tap to use the brake function ).

Both are great trems - just depends on what your looking for..........

6. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Keeley modifies the Boss TR-2 Tremolo and makes it more transparent and adds a volume knob to it. He advertises that you can also use it as a clean boost with the volume knob! Sounds like a winner to me.

7. aberrant

aberrant Member

I wish that Keeley would put a tap in with the mod....

I'd have to say Cusack tap-a-whirl as the winner in my book.

8. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

The Empress trem is the best I've tried ... meets all your criteria, but not the smallest footprint.

9. erksin

erksin Member

10. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

TREX TREMSTER DOES THE THROB!! Volume knob. Depth knob WORKS well.

11. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Empress has the brake as well. Very cool function. Both are great. The difference being is that you have more waveforms with the Cusack, but the Empress is much easier to use and physically control the parameters.

12. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

another very, very content empress owner here.

13. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Voodoo Lab for lower bucks.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

BYOC....build the kit, or have them to it, but it is VERY nice.
    Also in the kit instructions they give tips for adjusting things, as well as there is an internal trimpot for adjusting the volume when on, so you can have it be unity, less, slightly more, or lots more.

It has a normal Boss sized box, true bypass, and sounds really nice I think.

Another alternative, though it feels cheap, is the Nobels TR-X. VERY adjustable as to sound.

I tried several, fulltone, demeter, and a few others (never tried the empress) and none of the others did it for me. I liked the Marshall one, but it too raised the volume too much.

The BYOC does it best for me. As mentioned, you can tailor the range some by using different value caps/resistors.

15. Andre357

Andre357 Member

But to use the brake on the Empress ( they call it a " two speed function ", it's not really a brake ) you have to bend over and disable the tap via a mini switch. In other words you cant use tap and brake at the same time conveniently with the empress, on the Cusack TAW you can.

On the Empress you can't tap your Trem and then " brake " it, or speed it up....it just switches between two predetermined speeds. And then you have to bend over again, after your finshished using the " two speed function " to swith back to tap mode so you can use the tap feature. I'm sure it sounds nice but it's obviously not as user friendly to do or as easy.

Both are beautiful trems, but the Cusack clearly has the edge on this feature.

16. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

This one gets my vote as well. And if you don't want the deep throb, hit the mode button and the trem smooths out a bit. Can also do a good clean boost with the trem turned off. Real nice pedal.

17. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Totally agreed and well described. I had the choice of both at the same price and went Empress, because I wanted more physical control over the paramaters and less planning ahead, but the two definitely sit in the same price and feature range with a few subtle differences. Both are quality trems, just up to the user to determine what their needs are and which one fits better.

18. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Analogman Modded Boss TR-2 Super

http://www.buyanalogman.com/Boss_TR_2_Super_p/am-boss-tr-2-super.htm

Insane! No tap tempo but different wave forms. This pedal ended my Trem search quick.

-Chris