tremolohelp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stratsmyboy, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy Member

Hi I'm looking for a new tremolo pedal and recently found a comment on the web saying thete were big differences between the sound of a demeter tremulator and a diaz tremodillo. Can anyone explain the differences? People refer to blackface and brown face sounds but what is the sound difference. I thought I was just looking for a fender sound but ....

Actually while im on about the tremolos I mentioned, does anyone have issues with volume drop or non-true bypass? I watched oz noy on you tube as he has both on his board and there was no noticeable problems

2. 9520575

9520575 Member

I wrote a really in depth review of both pedals, which you can read here: http://thetremolothread.blogspot.com/
    I also have sound clips of both in there as well. They sound and operate very different from each other.
    Ignore the labels brown face and black face. It's really not a helpful descriptor.

Fender amps had three main tremolos on their amps.

Bias vary, found in brown, blonde and black face amps.

Optical/LDR/roach introduced in some blackface models and some silver faced models.

Harmonic found in some brownface models.

So there is no one sound/type for a certain Era. Bias vary is a smoother sounding tremolo, although it's a little weaker sounding then an optical. The optical is a little more choppy. I like to use a square wave tremolo to get that sound. And harmonic is a filter type of effect that sounds closer to a phaser. Some people call it "true pitch vibrato" but those people are wrong, your pitch does not change.

Both the diaz and the demeter are trying to capture the bias vary type of sound. Although the diaz doesn't really do that.

3. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy Member

Hi, thanks for that. Just what I was hoping for. Sounds like the demeter is what im after. I did spend a lot of time looking at the mellow yellow and the jhs honeycomb deluxe but reviews pointed out they were costly for what they were. I cant seem to find a used one so the demeter might be the trick.

thanks again