1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

tremolux cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gwr, Jan 29, 2012.

1. gwr

gwr Member

Can't decide on what cab to go with my '66 tremolux head,play traditional country (with a tele of course) and even though I know that this amp is meant to be used with a closed back 2x10,I play alot of open string, ringing,double stop,chord based style licks and have been using an open back 2x12,cheap cab to get me through till I decide,so before I buy,open back or closed,2x10 or 2x12?

2. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I've had a '62 Tremolux with the original 2x10 bottom (original speakers) for a long time. I've also run the head into old bf 2x12 Bassman/Bandmaster bottoms with CTS and Celestion 65s. I like the projection of the closed-back cabs, and for a clean Tele, I think the bass response from 12"s might be the way to go.

For that traditional country clean sound, consider a JBL type, which is more efficient than other traditional Fender OEM speakers and projects well. Weber makes a 10 or 12" California model with a few dustcap options, the paper cap model is a bit warmer than the traditional aluminum and I prefer it. Going that route ensures that any clipping in the sound is coming from the amp and not the speaker cones.

3. gwr

gwr Member

Thanks,now I have some direction!!

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Avatar used to have a nice 2x10 cab a while back. They dropped them for a while but Dave says they are getting back to the tens.