Tremoverb: Head or 2x12 Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by prsnstrat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thinking of purchasing a Tremoverb, but unsure of whether to get the combo or the head version. I don't mind the weight. Strictly tone inquiry. Anyone that has had both can offer any insight?

Mucho appreciato!

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got the combo and I've played the head. I'm not sure I was able to tell much difference, they're both great sounding amps... I understand that the earlier it was made, the better...

3. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I went combo because you can always run out and use it like a head. The speakers are not hardwired so its easy.

I know you said weight is not an issue. I did too, but it is. The thing is very, very heavy.

Cool amp, but never played the head so I can't comment on that. But with the combo you get an open-back cab arrangement with the option of running out to additional cabs.

4. fizbin

fizbin Member

My personal belief is that combos are not really more convenient than head/cabs. Combos can be just plain awkward in addition to being really heavy.

Also, its easier to switch out speakers on a head and its easier on the tubes and other components - less vibrations.

5. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Bump - thanks for the input so far guys!

6. disaster

disaster Member

one of each.

Just kidding (sorta...). But not being tied to one cab is why I like heads.

7. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

I debated between head and combo, and decided on combo because I found one for a good price.
    At first I didn't care about the weight either. But eventually lugging that beast around to practices became a total drag. If I had it to again I would have gone for the head.

Best of luck.

8. bobefann

bobefann Member

buy the head and get a nice cab

9. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

What is a good price for a used one, say 2 or 3 years old?

10. bobefann

bobefann Member

i bought a t-verd head about a year and a half ago for 900 and it was an earlier model. so if you get a head i would look for one around that price.

11. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I have an Old Flame head/cab...I thought I'd like it, but I can't tip the amp at me without rigging something together. That being said, if the cab I had was wider I'd use the Fender piggyback.

So if you can add the piggyback clips if you so choose to in the future, then I'd go head/cab.

12. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I had a combo years ago. Fantastic amp. Waaayyyy too heavy.
    It is not convenient in the least.

13. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Def buy the head version, speaking of that , what kind of cab?? By the way NICE CHOICE!! Best Boogie ever made(my opinion of course!) You say the weight is not a problem(combo version), have you ever lifted one of those???

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I love my Tremoverb Combo . NO problem moving it to and from any gig. The casters are great and I'm relatively strong and can lift it up and down stairs ok via the side handles and /or hands on the bottom of it.. Never use the top handle for anything. I ride it once I get to level ground, or even put pedal boards, monitors, or milk crates on top and 1 knee on it and off it goes. :)

Eric

15. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

16. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

interested in the Tremoverb Combo? i'm looking to get rid of mine, its a backbreaker!

17. GloryHog

GloryHog Member

I've owned both, and I preferred the head over the combo. The combo's open back sound was not for me, so for years I used it as a head (a really heavy head) with a 4x12 cab. I then traded it straight across for the head version which I liked much better. My combo had 6L6's in it (blah), and the head came with Svetlana EL34's which absolutely smoked the combo's 6L6's. Soon thereafter I gave it up in favor of my Diezel Einstein 100 head, and never looked back.

Trust me. Do your back a favor and get the head!

18. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

I 2nd getting the head. I too had the combo and the weight is ungodly.
    Get the head and a 2x12 horizontal recto cab. Killer sound and transporting is managable.