Tremoverb Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by metheniac, Feb 11, 2008.

1. metheniac

metheniac Supporting Member

I'm thinking of retubing my Tremoverb and was wondering if anyone out there has used 6v6's and if so what is your setup and what setting should I run those tubes on, 6L6 or El-34 to get the right bias? Also, what rectifier tube would you recommend with the 6v's?

2. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

A. Don't do it. Even on the "spongy" power setting, the 6V6s will fry very quickly.
    B. The "bias" selector switch doesn't really adjust the bias in the conventional sense; 34s have a different internal architecture than 6L6s, and the switch changes the voltage path so the control and suppressor grids of the 34s aren't bridged (which would cause more or less immediate tube death). The 6V6 and 6L6 have the same pin layout, but not the same handling capacity.

3. metheniac

Sounds like a good point. The reason I was thinking about it was I was on the Eurotubes website and the guy there has a recommendation for different amps and tube swaps. He says you can use JJ 6v6 Quads with no problem or a mix of 6v6 and Kt77 in the El-34 mode but I need more input on that before I set myself up for disaster.

So with your input I already have one negative. Anybody else have any positive or neg input on this subject?

4. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I had a Tremoverb for 5 yrs and it always sounded great with the Mesa 6L6 tubes(man i miss that amp) why are you looking for a change? or I guess better stated, what change are you looking for?

5. metheniac

I agree, I love mine with the 6L6's now and have for years since changing out the EL34's but I have this thi ng going on in my head about trying a quad 6v setup so I need to pursue it until i get enough "don't do that's" or "it is safe to do it".

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

6L6's on a Tverb is the best