tremsetter tuning problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tristan, Sep 20, 2006.

1. tristan

tristan Member

my tremsetter arrived today and i installed it.

did a perfect job if i do say so myself, and it does most of what it advertises.

but me ax still goes out of tune after serious whammy usage. (js100)

could it just be my guitar?

ta

2. laflamme

laflamme Member

What type of tremolo do you have? What kind of nut and tuners do you have. Standard non-locking tuners have some slippage and the nut on your guitar could be binding. Make sure it is cut right. You could buy some "nutsauce" which will lubricate in a standard graphite or bone nut. I had a guitar with a wilkinson trem and I installed the tremsetter and I still had problems. It turned out the bridge posts and the bridge were not very compatible. I hate wilkinsons anyways.

Good luck

3. K-man

K-man Member

It should stay in tune. Assuming you adjusted it correctly when you first set it up, you probably just need to play with the spring tension to stiffen it up a little.

4. tristan

tristan Member

yeah sorry, its a edge pro 2.

cheap ibanez floyd.

yeah i did set it up right, ill try tightning the thumb screws

taaa braa

5. willyboy

willyboy Member

Sounds to me like locking bridge/nut issues. I have a tremsetter on my Floyd I installed also and have never encountered these problems. If you had tuning issues from string slippage prior to putting the tremsetter on, then it will not cure this problem.The bridge you have isn't great quality, but in my experience you can usually set them up without them going out of tune if you are careful and meticulous with restringing and using the correct amount of tension on the locking parts. One of the major problems with less expensive bridges is the quality of the metal, it develops grooves easily where the strings are clamped allowing for poor clamping and string slippage. Many people tend to overtighten the nut and string clamps which also creates these problems as well as cracked insert blocks, stripped allen screws etc. I know this from cracking those little steel blocks on the Floyd when I first got it. Didn't take long after that to figure out I didn't need that much pressure to make it work properly. Never had another problem in the 20 years I have been using that particular bridge - it still works smoothly and stays in tune great. If you have the cash, definitely get a better quality trem, it may solve your headaches.

cheers
    DM

6. tristan

tristan Member

thanks willy, sounds like good advice.

do you happen to know if i can retrofit a new bridge? from what ive read no bridge will retrofit into a js100

7. willyboy

willyboy Member

tristan - i don't really know if you can retrofit, but there are so many licensed versions of the Floyd, I would imagine one of these must fit your guitar.

You would have to measure the dimensions of your existing bridge and the distance between the two posts. I believe Warmoth guitar parts has dimensions of the bridges they sell on their website and if I remember correctly, Stewart-MacDonald has theirs also listed.

Good Luck
    DM

8. Ross Kingston

Ross Kingston Member