Trex Replica vs. Boss RE-20. Better simple tape echo sim??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Oct 3, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

hey dudes. as some of you know I'm ditching my timefactor and "downgrading" to a simpler delay to use inline with my amp.

basically I only ever used the tape echo settings on the TF and its way too much pedal for me. Also I don't like what it does to the tone.

essentially, I just use delay to make my leads bigger, or give depth to my tone. I need a delay that is simple (not a TF!), has a lot of warmth, and has a volume knob. If it fattens up the tone, that's also a big plus. reverbish sounds are also cool.

i'd want to go back to a DMM, but since I'm running boosts out front, headroom would become a big issue. As would pedalboard space.

so solely as a simple alternative to a tape echo, which pedal takes the cake?? feel free to suggest others. i'm also looking at picking up a hiwatt tape echo, but size/maintenance scares me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. teleus52

teleus52 Member

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay

[​IMG]

3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I have to recommend the Skreddy Echo-so great
    I have that and the MP DBD on my board-
    can't go wrong

4. drod2045

drod2045 Member

the skreddy and dpd sound awesome

I have a T Rex Reptile (this is more for tape than the replica) that I really enjoy. The Subdecay Echobox sounds terrific too.

ps: I pair for Reptile with an Ibanez DE-7 as well. I also have a verbzilla for reverb. I can create some nice soundscapes

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

cool suggestions. IDK this topic might be kind of moot now as I'm really close to snagging a Hiwatt Tape Echo. This should be interesting....