Trey Anastasio joins Goose for 38 minute jam

Gasman2021

I am a Trey lover, but gotta say I prefer Rick's PRS Hollowbody into MB Express 50 vs Trey's Lang into the Trainwreck. Of course Trey's tone works great with TAB and Phish.

I would open mouth kiss either one of them if I met them. Just saying.

No pedals were signed during this performance, so we won't know how the gain was set unfortunately.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
That was a great sit in, and agree that in that context Rick sounded better and Trey's 'Wreck sounded a bit fizzy and thin compared to how great it sounds with the full Phish setup recently. I've come to love Trey's current Trainwreck tone, but that night with Goose was not a great representation. Guess that's why it's the Spare Rig!

1656351715720.png

guitarman79

Agree, a . I love Trey’s sound in Phish, but definitely thought that Rick had a massive tone edge that evening. I agree with @traviswalk, the tone on the satellite rig sound thin and fizzy, and way too dark. It was almost sounded to me like a wah pedal had been left on at times. Super lacking in clarity and highs. Definitely dig both guitarists and super cool to see Trey with this band, I was a little surprised though to hear his tone greatly differed in my opinion from the norm.

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
Rather than focusing on tone, I get it this is TGP, I was more interested if they would take the jam to interesting places like Phish does.

It sounds like Trey started moving somewhere around 9:30, Goose moving along with him. Shortly after the keyboardist jumps into that funky thing that he does quite a bit. It seemed to me that the bass player led them to a key change that really got the band motivated after 14 minutes in.

All in all, a great jam.

Twisted_Kites

Silver Supporting Member
I’m not really a fan of either band but I watched the complete video just to see what’s up.
I dug it.
I don’t know Trey‘s rig or how it’s supposed to sound but it was a nice contrast to Rick‘s tone.

Some things that stuck out after watching it a second time:
1. Both songs are great. I don’t know Goose but I‘ll check them out now.
2. I’m always amazed at Trey’s constant manipulation of his guitar‘s controls.
I saw Phish with The Samples in the 90s and it always impressed me how often he would adjust his tone/vol/selector as if he can hear even the subtlest changes.
Personally I cannot but I respect his dedication to his craft.
3. The lack of eye contact btwn Rick and Trey during the jams.
I always thought eye contact was a very important part of jams, but these guys are so deep in the sound they don’t bother. Fair play to them.
4. The lack of effects outside of a wah. I was expecting more weirdness.
5. Has there ever been a jam band without a keyboard player bubbling on a clav?
;)

great post. Thanks.

bugzapper

I'll watch it again later, but I'm gonna dissent in my first impression. I thought Trey's presence flattened the chemistry within Goose some. Not completely--it's certainly not any kind of disaster.

Maybe I'm just wrong. Or, maybe what I want to hear is either Goose right now or Phish from way back. Or, maybe I didn't love Rick's and Trey's tones side-by-side.

Or, whatever, it's not my band or my gig. They are there to play music the way they want to, not the way I imagine they should at the time. I'm sure Goose only had Trey with them out of abundant mutual appreciation.

I will certainly watch the whole show, which drops tonight!

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member

You are in for a treat going down that rabbit hole, they are a great band with a big future ahead of them!

bugzapper

I’m not really a fan of either band but I watched the complete video just to see what’s up.
I dug it.
I don’t know Trey‘s rig or how it’s supposed to sound but it was a nice contrast to Rick‘s tone.

2. I’m always amazed at Trey’s constant manipulation of his guitar‘s controls.
I saw Phish with The Samples in the 90s and it always impressed me how often he would adjust his tone/vol/selector as if he can hear even the subtlest changes.
Personally I cannot but I respect his dedication to his craft.
3. The lack of eye contact btwn Rick and Trey during the jams.
I always thought eye contact was a very important part of jams, but these guys are so deep in the sound they don’t bother. Fair play to them.
4. The lack of effects outside of a wah. I was expecting more weirdness.
5. Has there ever been a jam band without a keyboard player bubbling on a clav?
;)

great post. Thanks.

Goose has a lot of good tunes, and they know the value of a good chorus. What you heard in the vid above is one of their newest tunes segued into one of their oldest.

The keyboard player, Peter Anspach, does bubble on the clav regularly, but he also sounds great on the other keyboards. In addition, he plays really good rhythm and lead guitar. In a lot of bands, he would be the main guitar attraction. From what I can tell, when he joined, Goose got solidly on their present path.

Twisted_Kites

Silver Supporting Member
Goose has a lot of good tunes, and they know the value of a good chorus. What you heard in the vid above is one of their newest tunes segued into one of their oldest.

The keyboard player, Peter Anspach, does bubble on the clav regularly, but he also sounds great on the other keyboards. In addition, he plays really good rhythm and lead guitar. In a lot of bands, he would be the main guitar attraction. From what I can tell, when he joined, Goose got solidly on their present path.

He's clearly solid. No argument.
I just love how keys players still bubble on the clav.
All the jam bands I played with and saw in Boulder in the late 80s/early 90s always had some bubble happening in the mix to keep the kind grooves flowing.

Top Bottom