Trey Phish Style Backwards delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Apollovt18, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Apollovt18

Apollovt18 Member

Hello all!

I am a big Phish fan and love Treys playing! I am looking for a backwards delay like the one in this video. I was thinking maybe a TC Electronics Flashback one i could make a preset for?

Any recommendations?

Peps likes this.
  2. charmonder

charmonder Member

so that's technically a reverse reverb, and IMO tends to be more useful effect than reverse delay. The patch You could probably find something a LOT similar to that exact microverb preset on TC hall of fame, ZOOM msr-70cdr , or the old yamaha magic stomp was absolute OVERKILL for getting all of the 90s rack style reverb/delay patches onto a pedalboard.

But yes you could likely even do something like this using TC flashback tone print editor but it wont be "reverse delay" itll be multi tap delay and youll have to dial it in to make each tap slightly louder than the one before it.

3. Apollovt18

Apollovt18 Member

So this one? Zoom MS-70CDR

4. charmonder

charmonder Member

yeah I would be shocked if that pedal didn't have reverse reverb

5. Apollovt18

Apollovt18 Member

So my question is why does trey describe it is as reverse delay?

6. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

My sense from watching that clip is that he sees it as an echo/delay because the loudness of the reverse reverb comes in like a gradual slapback. In Trey's defense, he does say it is "like a backwards delay."

Don Rusk likes this.
  7. Apollovt18

Apollovt18 Member

So how do I get that sound? I was looking at because the TC Hall of Fame does not have reverse option.

Scott SG likes this.
  8. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

The cheapest thing is probably to pick up an old MicroVerb and have exactly the same thing as Trey. This Reverb article points to a few pedals: https://reverb.com/news/what-is-reverse-reverb-and-how-do-i-use-it

9. charmonder

charmonder Member

:oops: I spoke too soon, I figured a pedal with as many features as that would have it, but that is not the case.

10. groovington

groovington Member

TC Nova Repeater has reverse delay... Funny thing is I know Trey had that on his board at one point. Not sure if he still does. The Alsesis Microverb I can be had for super cheap though, so just get that.

11. Apollovt18

Apollovt18 Member

So I got a micro reverb, cheep. So how do I hook it up? Lol totally newbie when it comes to rack effects

charmonder likes this.
  12. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

If you have an effects loop with a line level that might work....

13. Apollovt18

Apollovt18 Member

Going into a blues jr so no effects loop.i am also wondering how trey turns it on and off I am assuming it’s not on all the time

14. groovington

groovington Member

You can use one of those boss footswitches to toggle it on and off. Or find a cheap true bypass looper to run it through. Also, per your previous question, it can work well on the back row of your pedal board, and you can even stack one or two effects on top of it (2 if they are mxr size enclosures), making them easier to stomp on in the back row. It's referred to as a 1/2 rack, but truly it is just one third the size of a real rack unit. And they're built like a tank, so don't worry about stomping a pedal on top of it.

15. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

A great reverse delay is the discontinued Danelectro Back Talk.

I think I bought mine a year ago for $180 used.

It has a nice oscillation.

16. Riffa

Riffa Member

Doesn't the Boss PS-3 have a backwards-delay mode? The notes are even pitch-shifted, so I bet it's great.

songtalk likes this.
  17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

I still use the old line6 tonecore Echo Park for this on the tape with modulation setting .... I leave it on instead of reverb... or its really nice into amp reverb.

18. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

Ventris does this pretty well. On the pricier side, but it can do SO much.

19. dcbc

dcbc Member

I love the lick he does to demonstrate how he uses it. I bought a Microverb years ago because I liked that sound so much. But after a couple of years of not using it since I don't have much opportunity to incorporate something like it, I sold it. One of those things that seems like it would be awesome to have (in theory).

20. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Reviving this as I am in the market for a reverse reverb. On the list:

SA Ventris
    Empress Reverb
    EH Cathedral
    Digitech Polara

Any others? One better than another? I also have no fx loop so the microverb (though priced well and available) is less desirable for my rig.