Triaxis, G Major, Behringer 1010 midi pedal hookup help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by celestion101, Jul 2, 2005.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Triaxis, G Major, Behringer 1010 midi pedal hookup help!

I can get the footswitch to switch the G Major, but not the Triaxis along with it. The Triaxis has a 7 pin for the footswitch, but the 1010 has the standard 5 pins. The old unit was the same, so Im not sure whats up or where I screwed up. Idin't have any special cable before. Can someone route this for me. I've spent $1700 in the last two days and I want something to work!

:( :dude

2. celestion101

Ok, that doesn't really help, but thanks. I had this exact same setup and dig plenty of gigs without a hitch. It seems that I'm missing the boat on something easy and obvious.

3. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Hi! I have had a triaxis and a g-major. worked perfectly. The reason there is 7 pins in the triaxis is, that it is able to feed a midiboard (made by mesa) with power, through a special midicabel that comes with the board (called "Abacus"). I think you have to look in the triaxis manual to get some info on how to setup the triaxis. It is not as simple as you may think! I can't remember what buttons you have to push, but i think your problem has something to do with the midichannel the triaxis is recieving on(or currently NOT recieving on!). So find out what channel the board and the g-major is sending and recieving on, and adjust the triaxis to that channel. There are 16 different channels, so.....lots of opportunities = a little complex to setup. But you will work it out, i'm sure. And once you get it up and running, you'll be a happy man :)

Hope this helps.
    B.R. andershoeg

4. danel59

danel59 Member

Make sure the Triaxis is recieving on the same midi channel which is quite easy. I sold my last one a while ago so I forget the exact name but there is a grey button or pad (if you will) says midi/channel I believe and when you press this it will tell you which channel you are recieving on, you can then go up and down channels with the up and down button. The 7 pin connector at the back does provide phantom power to a foot controller and yes originally for the Abacus but it does work for DMC Ground Control and the Rocktron model which I forget the model right now. You had to still plug an adapter into the back of the Triaxis to send power to the controller but it was a lot easier to have it in the rack rather than having another cable run up to the controller. The Behringer I found to be difficult to use other than what they set up the presets for. I never spent much time with it however as I used the Ground Controll which worked very well with my Triaxis/ Lexicon MPX-G2 setup

5. flicker180

flicker180 Member

there is a yahoo group specifically for the Behringer pedal and for the Gmajor.

also, i host a Gmajor board which deals with this question a lot.

see my signature.

dave

6. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Very good suggestions so far, without knowing alot of details, I would say make sure every unit is in "omni" mode for midi, and obviously, you have a midi cable going from out/thru on the G-major to the midi in on the Tri, right?

7. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

thing about omni is that although it is the easiest way, when hooking up multiple midi devices, it can create more lag than if you were to assign each device an independant midi cahnnel to communiacate on.

with my old rack, i had to assign the triaxis it's own midi channel to communicate with my dmc ground control, then assign a diffferent channel for my intellifex, then a different channel for my replifex, etc.

the dmc had the ability to do this.

the thing i never really understood was why some devices had a midi "out" AND a "through"...wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?
    unless it was better to feed two devices from the first unit in parallel rather than daisy chaning in series and weakening the midi signal...i hear 3 in series is the max you want to go before the midi commands start to wig out, and then you need a midi interface.

8. celestion101

Thanks guys.........I think I got it. I basically had something hooked up wrong in the loop. To avoid headaches, I'm running out of the Triaxis into the G Major, and then out of the G Major into the poweramp. I actually like the tone out of the loops as well. The manual suggested this as a option, so I'll give it a run.:dude

9. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

great Rick.

I used to throw a volume pedal in the loop so you can adjust volume when needed. (or as a "mute" volume)
    Different than guitar volume adjustment. Which you can do also. :p

Gril

10. devbro

devbro Member

Rick,
    While the Behringer can send midi CC mesages, it requires some wrangling to make it work. Check out the Yahoo user group previously mentioned or www.hugeracksinc.com. This issue has been discussed do death over there. Better still, dump the Behringer and get a Ground Control or All Access.

To get the most out of your rig, you'll want to set up the G-major to accept midi CC mesages so you can turn individual effect blocks off and on without doing a program change every time and switching patches on the Triaxis. I have a Rocktron All Access with 15 buttons that allows me to set one bank of 5 buttons to do program changes and the other 10 buttons to switch effect blocks in and out similar to using stomp boxes.

Another very cool feature with the G-major is the ability to control your master volume using an expression pedal or a modified Ernie Ball. You can plug the pedal right into the back of the G-major using a 1/4 inch jack and set the pedal assignment to control volume. Now your signal path is not passing through a volume pedal sucking tone. :dude

11. celestion101

Thanks for the info! I'll take some gig money and start hunting down a Rocktron in the near future. The volume pedal is a hip tip as well. Just from my initial tinkering, I can tell that the options are endless!:dude

12. GasMask

GasMask Member

I use a Rocktron MIDImate to control my Triaxis and rack effects. It's served me well for years- never a problem. I would recommend taking the MIDI from the controller into the Triaxis first, and then use the MIDI Through to connect to the rest of my effects. I do use the phantom power which is convenient, but not essential. You have the makings of a nice sounding and very versatile rig. Really shines for live performance IMO. Good Luck!

13. devbro

devbro Member

Thats some good input from Gasmask.

I had a Midimate for some time and it worked well. It also can send midi cc mesages. You can find them all day long for $125.00. You can even phantom power it using the wall wart plugged into tha back of triaxis phantom send. As I recall, it comes with the wall wart and 2 midi cables (one for phantom and a plain one).

And no matter what the G-Major manual says, use the Triaxis as the "master" and map the G-major using the midi thru.

Your midi path should be:
    Midimate > Triaxis > G-Major

Your audio path should be Guitar > Triaxis (out mono) > G-Major (out stereo) > Power Amp > Speakers (left and right). I never liked the assignable loops in the triaxis - there is a hesitation and sometimes it makes a popping sound. I prefer sending a mono line level signal from the triaxis into my effects.

One more thing, run everything on midi channel one as opposed to omni. Some other devices like amp switchers and controllers don't recognize omni. It's very simple to change midi channels in the triaxis and G-major.