Tribal Tech - Revenge Stew

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by harmonicator, Mar 21, 2017.

1. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

LA electric fusion hot-shots take it down to the swamp!

Always dug this tune because it's such a stark contrast to their usual sound. Love the changes on the main theme. Scott's acoustic solo is one of my all time favorites by him. Some tasty (yeah I said it) slide and open string stuff he does too.

Lucidology, derekd, ZeyerGTR and 2 others like this.
  2. Lance

Lance Member

I've been spinning a lot of Scott lately. Revenge Stew is definitely quite different than most of their music. I'm surprised he doesn't play more slide, like on this song. He thinks he's a pretty terrible slide player, but I think he rocks it quite well.

Here is one that I had forgotten about, until it came up in shuffle a few days ago.

Jimi1983, ZeyerGTR and harmonicator like this.
  3. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

A classic from Scott. Willis is actually holding the strings down for Scott lower than Scott's fretting hand to make the action more playable.

I can never hear too much Tribal Tech.

Lucidology and harmonicator like this.
  4. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

"If the Band of Gypsys went to Berklee" is what this ^ tune sounds like to me. Badass. Scott does a pretty convincing slide with the trem bar. Re-examining Thick, you can hear how much Kirk was using that tambourine with his rim shots. Gave a kind of identity to those late model TT records.

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Nomad has been one of my faves since it's release.

Lucidology and harmonicator like this.
  6. Ingvay

Ingvay Member

I haven't listened to Tribal Tech (or anything similar) for a long time, so the fact that the first tune (Revenge Stew) wasn't in their usual style wasn't as obvious to me. Although I still found many other things to like.

Then I was busy around the house when youtube automatically moved on to the next song, called Salt Lick. It's probably in their more typical style, which ended sounding up refreshing to me after not having listened for so long What great playing by all of them. Damn, I love Scott's solos!

Todd Lynch and harmonicator like this.
  7. Brooks

Brooks Member

8. Lance

Lance Member

It sounds a lot like Gary is playing an upright bass on RS. Anyone know?

9. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

None just his regular fretless. Gary is my favorite bassist and one of my very favorite musicians and composers.

One of the few people in the world who can follow a Henderson solo and not sound insipid in comparison.