"tribute guitars" with artist/band-related artwork...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BigSB, Feb 24, 2015.

1. BigSB

BigSB Member

Ehrmagerd, those new Alvarez Grateful Dead tribute guitars are UHHH-GLEEE!

I'm all for a tribute instrument related to an artist or band having some kind of special logo or decorative feature; the 1973 dime embedded in the fretboard of the Martin Jim Croce model is a cool little nod to "Operator". "You can keep the dime...".

The Alvarez things are hideous. They look like cheap repro band posters always for sale at record shows.

Alvarez used to make a Bob Weir model that was a fine guitar. I was excited that maybe the new anniversary tribute instruments would be like that.

These remind me of the cheapo Silvertone acoustics that Paul Stanley had his ugly mug plastered on.

Nobody actually plays those things... they scream "gullible fanboy" and you can't be taken seriously playing a guitar the big design and selling point of which is the chance to stare at some other band's logo or someone's face.

What "tribute model" instruments do you own or just love or loathe?

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

I don't think tribute guitars are popular here.

3. Devnor

Devnor Member

My awesome Tom Anderson Pro Am Blackmore's Rainbow tribute. Dan Lawrence did the graphics. I don't care if you think it "screams" anything. I love it and that's what matters.

[​IMG]

4. BigSB

BigSB Member

Totally different, as someone who doesn't know from Rainbow could appreciate it, as I certainly do, although I do know Rainbow's music.

I mean those models that are clearly just attempts to piggyback a guitar on someone's image and have no aesthetic effort put in. Slap a face or a band logo on it and sell it. Not like anyone would play that Stanley monstrosity. it's a Hannah Montana guitar for boys. A cheap marketing ploy.

5. BigSB

BigSB Member

On the other hand, the Seeger 12-string Martin is a wonderful tribute as it represents faithfully the workhorse he traveled the world with.

6. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind a guitar with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass' "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" cover art...

Anyone? Bueller?

7. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Traveling Wilburies Gretsch anyone?

[​IMG]

8. Mr. E.

Mr. E. Member

That's incredible- any other pictures?

9. stratamania

stratamania Member

I like the Rainbow guitar too. A second one with Rainbow Rising on would make a good one too.

10. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

I'd play one!

11. BigSB

BigSB Member

I used to drool over that Wilbury guitar. Very cool.

What I'm really thinking is about guitars that have art INSPIRED BY artists or bands, not just a big, dumb logo or something. Every good example is something you can see and either recognize or just appreciate on its own merits.

12. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I am a big Blackmore fan from his days in Purple but was never a big Rainbow fan, but that guitar f#cking smokes! As far as sig guitars go I own around 4 or 5 but they are just the artist sig scribbled somewhere. I honestly couldn't gig with a VanHalen striped guitar or Zack Wylde bullseye LesPaul unless I was in a tribute band as I think they are too closely related to a single artist and people would expect to here their music.