trick to soldering patch cables with braided shield?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tonecap, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

I'm trying to make my own patch cables using GLS pancake plugs and gepco xb20ub cable. My problem is the gepco has two layers of braided shield which by the time you separate and twist together, is the equivalent to 12 gauge wire! What is the trick to working around this? Do you just trim away the excess until your down to a managable 20 gauge consistency. I hate to cut off part of the shield but I'm not seeing any way around it. I guess the good news is its braided so even the part that gets trimmed at the end is electrically woven with the part that is being soldered. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

2. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Trim it up. Canare is braided as well, and is massive once you twist it together. Trim just enough to make it manageable.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The Gepco X is a thick cable, when you tighten down the GLS pancake plug's cover, don't overtighten, you may short it out. I personally don't use the Gepco w/ pancake plugs because of this.

As for the braided shielding, I un-weave the strands and then twist it all-together then tin the wires from tip to were all the shielding meets the body of the cable. Once tinned, it just a matter of soldering to the lead.

4. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

5. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

A bit of an update. I tried the fold back method but it ended up being too bulky. Not a bad idea, but just didn't work with the cable I was using. I did however figure out a little trick that I thought I would pass along. Instead of twisting together a smaller portion of the braid and cutting off the excess I left it all in tack and twisted the whole thing together. If you work it right you can get it down to about a 14 gauge diameter. Then comes the trick. I used a toe nail clipper and angled it across the twisted braid essentially creating a taper that left me about the same diameter on the end of the taper to solder as if I was to trim off half using the old method. However, this way when you tin the tapered wire you are fusing the whole shield instead of just part of it. I'm sure this is old news for some but just wanting to say that toe nail clippers work really well and precise. Better than what I could get outta my snips, which were probably a little dull to begin with.

6. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

Have you ever had any short out?
    My colleague has made a heap with the same cable as the OP with no issues at all.
    We like how the plug is tight around the cable - to provide some strain relief.

7. dick wiewy

dick wiewy Member

What works for me is to gently enlarge an area of the braid an inch or so from the end to create a spread out hole to drag the center conductor through (with it's insulation intact). Grasping the end of the still braided shield I tug it so it collapses like "Chinese Finger Cuffs". I can make that a smaller bundle than I can make a shield by rolling it up the typical way one preps wire for tinning.

If I've got an impossibly tiny eyelet to fit the bundle through I've mechanically attached a resistor lead trimming to the wire bundle. I try and avoid this fidgety work
    if at all possible. I suspect it wouldn't pass NASA scrutiny for one reason. The other
    being time is precious.

[​IMG]