1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tricone ...14 fret

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by sixty2strat, May 15, 2011.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Hi

Saw a Republic of CL last week and moved to slow. So sort of got the jones for one. I have an older Wood body Dobro and a metal Johnson biscut. The Dobro is the better guitar but with the neck joining at the 12th it makes some things awkard. The Johnson joins at the 14th. As much as I'd love a national the price is too much. So looking around I see there are a lot of budget brands with good reps. None seem to make one that joins at the 14th fret. Is there a reason for that or is it just trradition.

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Lenny offers some 14 fret models in his Hot Rod Steel line which you might check out.

In terms of the 12 fret tradition - it had to do with the body size. All Nationals were originally 12 frets. When National started making 14 fret guitars in the mid-1930s they shortened the body. The smaller body guitars were not as loud as the 12 fret instruments. To my ears the 12 fret guitars also sound more balanced than the 14 fret guitars. But for many folks it comes down to how important access up the neck is. The 12 fret Nationals have never been a problem for me so I have just stuck with them.

I am not sure if the modern 12 and 14 fret resonators follow the same pattern in terms of body size.

3. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

I dislike most 12 fret acoustics, but like 12 fret resonators. Since I mostly play slide on reso's, I like the fact that when my hand hits up against the body, my slide is at exactly the 12th fret.

4. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

There are 12 fret tricones with cutaways - "best of both worlds".

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

14 fret tricone? Personally I'd take the zombie approach and doubletap it just to be safe. An abomination to be sure! :mob

Just kidding. Mostly. There is nothing as beautiful to me as the balance of the standard National OO 12 fret body. I don't care if Knopfler plays one, 14 frets just look wrong... I too would embrace a 12 fret cutaway before going to a 14 fret. In fact I have. I have a radiotone bendaway, and used to have a resorocket. the cutaways give you great access. The resorocket had to go to make room for my Hawaiian National, but it was a great guitar.

If 14 frets float your slide, go for it!