Tried a Bogner Shiva - what pedal to recreate those tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by valcotone, Dec 31, 2005.

1. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

I tried a Bogner Shiva combo a little while ago and really liked some of the medium drive tones. I wouldn't use that tone very often, but it's kind of haunting me. It seemed to have a really smooth and tight OD tones, really the opposite of the tweed-inspired amps I usually play with.

For those who own this amp, what OD pedal might come close to the drive tones?

Thanks!

2. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

3. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Man. I have no idea. I tried to find out the exact same thing, but I wound up buying one. It's my only amp (excluding a couple of loaners: JCM-800 and JMP combo), but it does everything I want it to.

A few things you could maybe try to get close:

-Barber Direct Drive
    -Marshal Guv'nor
    -Analogic Gain Fxxker II (I have no experience with that, but it's been related to Bogner tone on this board, though in the Uberschall sense...so I don't know)
    -Emma Reezafratzitz
    -Menatone Working Man's Blue/Blue Collar (I own the Blue Collar, and it can come pretty darn close to the medium tones I get from the Shiva. Not perfect, but close. That's the one I'm the most comfortable recommending you try...though it could very well sound like a Shiva because it's hitting a Shiva.)

Hope that's of some help at all. My drive pedal experience is far from extensive, but from what I've heard from everyone I talked to online, it's just hard to get that tone nailed in a pedal for some reason.

4. prsflame

prsflame Member

The Bogner Shiva El34 head was my main amp for the past 4 years when I was playing with an originals/covers modern rock band. I'm now in a Funk/pop cover band, so my set up/needs have changed, and I've been using pedals for my distorted tones. This has been the first time in my gigging life that I have not relied on an amp to get distorted tones.

No pedal is gonna sound like the Shiva drive channel.:D However, I'm using the Proanalog Dual drive for rythmn. (Through a Top Hat 1x12 combo)The pedal is very "amp like" in it's responsiveness. It cuts through the mix well, and doesn't sound small or compressed. I sometimes use the clean boost for leads, depending on the song. Many people have asked me if I was playing through a dual channel amp when I had it on. It really sounds killer!!

Another great pedal on my board is the Lovepedal Eternity. Has a Marshall type vibe, and sounds great for leads/rythmn work, although I primarily use mine for leads. The controls are very responsive, and I find that a little goes a long way in terms of dialing it in.

Another contender is the Fulltone OCD. I find it to be less smooth than the Eternity/Dual Drive, and more "in your face" It's very responsive to playing dynamics, etc.

Good luck, there are lot's of choices out there.

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I honestly do not feel it's possible to get that exact tone out of a pedal. The Bogner Shiva is what I think of as the perfect refinement of the modern Marshall Sound. Maybe the BJF Dyna Red is a good one to try.

6. Lution

Lution Member

7. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I used to own a bogner shiva head. I decided to size my rig but I realize there is no pedal that sounds like a bogner shiva. The closest pedal Ive found that reminds me of it is Barber direct drive. I also would check out a vintage rat (not reissues or modded). Im sure there are more pedals that will get you close to that sound.

8. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

the clip from the barber site of the direct drive is pretty damned impressive
    I have never, ever used pedals before
    but that sounds great!

http://barberelectronics.com/SShamer.mp3

I have a Tone Press from him, awesome

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Bogner Shiva. If I could get that sound in a pedal, I might own that pedal instead of the Shiva. (I also have an OCD -- the pre-mod version --, and it doesn't sound nearly as good to my ears as the Shiva gain channel.) Not sure if any pedal could do it.

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The Shiva is my ONLY amp.
    Last one I"ll ever have. I do have the matching extension cab that I use with my lovepedal 1/2 watt amps, but that's different.
    With some tweaking, the FoxRox ZIM came damn close to the gain channel tone. NOT with the boost engaged, but the B9 card with the BB card turned on also.

11. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Yeah, everybody basically reiterated what I was saying. I personally consider it the closest to perfect distortion for my style. No pedal I've heard has come very close. Sorry dude. As consolation, if you do get one, it also has one of the best clean channels ever. I actually prefer to alot of single channel "clean amps", and the reverb is fantastic.