Tried a CAA OD-100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by iluvstrats, Mar 22, 2006.

1. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I tried out a CAA OD-100 standard yesterday with 5881s and I think this is going to be my next amp. The cleans are so good! Fenderish but big and fat and with the boost it provides really nice overdriven fenderish tones that I guess would be classifed SRVish. I initially didn't care for the OD side because it brought on so much trebly highs but after some knob twisting and pretty much maxing the bass knob I really got to sound great. I'm not a high gain guy but I was to able to pull up really nice crunch tones on this channel by keeping the gain low and cranking the level.

Can anybody comment on the difference between the standard with the 5881s and the el34s. I probably wouldn't care for the SE mod because I don't use that much gain. Also has anybody compared the standard with 5881s to the new Classic model (which has el-34s)with less gain? I've heard the clips from indoor storm but it's hard to really tell. The cleans in that clip didn't sound as fenderish as the one I tried.

Anybody have one they want to sell?

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I played an EL34 model. The cleans really suffered ... the 5881 model cleans were night and day better. The 5881 had more low end, and on the OD side, I think I liked the EL34 model a bit better ... I'd be hard-pressed to explain why, though ...

You cranked the bass, huh??? Wow, I always thought those CAAs had ample low end, to spare. Everyone wants different things, that's why such discussions are tough without some background on what you're looking for.

Most of your clips are what I'd call 'rootsy'. I wouldn't recommend this amp for your style. It could be adapted for it, sure, but I don't think your style matches with this amp, IMO. BTW, I love your playing. You've really developed your own 'thing' ....

3. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Mike,

I only had to crank the bass on channel 2. When switcing between the clean and OD channel with the eq set the same, the OD channel was very trebly. With some knob tweaking I was able to get both channels to sound similar except with more OD going on of course in channel 2.

Your right about this amp being kind of different than what I would normally play through lately but I just loved the tight clean tones and I really liked the OD channel after I fooled with it some.
    In the past, I used to always play through a 100 watt amp, be it a Marshall or twin reverb and not just to be loud but I love the fatness of a 100 watt amp even playing it at low volumes.

4. bailnout

bailnout Member

There would be nothing wrong with buying an amp that most people consider a "hi-gain" amp simply because you like the clean channel, especially with this amp. I've heard that Lyle Lovett plays an Uberschall just for the clean tone. I've never heard the 5881 version of the OD-100 but from what I know about tubes, if the clean sound of an amp is more important to you than the dirty channel, you are better off with 5881s than EL34s. Just my opinion. So at that point the only thing you would need to figure out is whether to get the SH mod or not.

On bass responce...were you playing at a low level? If so, I can see you wanting to turn the bass knob up. If you were playing at rock and roll stage level, you probably wouldn't. The bottom end really becomes apparent on this amp when you turn it up.

Never heard the classic. It's too fresh plus these amps are hard to find to just check them out on a whim. Where in Atlanta did you try the one out that you heard? I'm in Atlanta and I would love to hear different models of this amp.

I have the SH model with EL34s and the Plexi OT. I love it do death but may be selling it soon. I'm in the middle of trying to choose between it and my Bogner Ecstasy 101b. One of them's gotta go! Maybe we could hook up sometime and you could hear mine to get an idea of the EL34 and SH mod stuff.

5. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Boutique guitar exchange has the std and a 50 watter. I'm going to Germany friday for two weeks. When I come back maybe I can give yours a try.

Take care,

6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

The OD100 clean channel sounds way better w/ 5881s. The EL34 option does cause the clean tone to suffer.

What speakers did you use? The OD100 has a ton of bass IMHO. Moreso than other similar amps. I actually kept the bright switch on for both channels.

If you want Fender clean & Marshall crunch... get the stock OD100 w/ 5881s.

7. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I ran the amp through an Avatar closed back cab with I think 2x12 greenbacks. Whatever it was it sounded great.

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

Man, I just heard of that place a couple of weeks ago. That's about a 5 minute drive on surface streets from my house! How long have they been there?

As far as coming over, just let me know. The Sunday after you get back (9th) would be perfect. I'll be out of town the following Monday, that week looks kinda bad and the following weekend I'm out of town (Easter weekend).

9. bailnout

bailnout Member

You say the clean tone suffers with the EL34s but by your estimation would you say the dirty channel benefits from them? Or do you think the 5881s are better for both channels?

10. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I'll send you an email when I get back.

Take care.

11. miltwill

miltwill Silver Supporting Member

Boutique Guitar Exchange is a great shop. If you live in the area you gotta check it out. I bought a Tyler Landau classic from them about 9 months ago, right when they opened. I know they have a couple OD100s in stock. I bought the first OD50 they got and after hearing the OD100 classic i spoke with John Suhr and he said that he would convert my 50 watter to the classic specs. I spoke with John this morning and he is shipping it back to me tonight. I told Michelle, the owner of Boutique Guitar Exchange, that i would bring it by the shop once i got it back... so if anyone in Atlanta wants to compare them all side by side i am more than happy to let them know when i am over there with the amp. I also have a CAA 2x12 cab i could bring by.

FWIW, i am not much of a high gain guy either. I fell for the OD100's clean channel first, and love how fat channel two is. I was running my channel two gain at about 3 and the master at about 6, and hitting it with the SD9 for solos... very nice. I wanted the amp to be a little more vintage on channel 2, and John said ship it back and he'd work some magic on it. One good thing about buying anything from Suhr is that they friggin stand by their stuff. If you email them with a question chances are John Suhr himself will CALL you back with the answer.... that is some customer service!

12. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I like the 5881s better for both channels in the OD100. Now, if you really want a classic Marshall OD sound, then the EL34s + Plexi OT would be the best option. However I own more Marshalls than I need right now, so for the best of both worlds (clean & lead) 5881s sounded best to my ears.

13. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I switched my OD 100 over to a OD100SE with EL34's.
    I actually found the opposite...
    I think the cleans got even bigger and tighter as did the gain channel. But I guess that also depends on taste. I found the amp to be a bit loose and flubby with the 5881's. Then again, I'm not a 6L6 fan in any amps other than Boogies. Plus the fact that I'm a KT88 junkie, so I like alot more headroom in an amp.
    Either way, these amps are amazing. I don't know how anyone could ever dime the bass, but that may be since you are running through speakers that can't produce the bass this amp throws at you.
    Me and a few friends had my OD100SE and OD50 in my studio with a Two Rock Opal, Cowtipper and a D13. Even the owners of the later amps were blown away at how much better the cleans, mid gain and higher gain settings were.
    Steve

14. bailnout

bailnout Member

I posted this in another thread that's running right now but I really should have posted it here:

I just played an OD-100SH/SE with 5881s yesterday at Boutique Guitar Exchange and I think I still like the EL34s better. I didn't hear a better clean tone than the one I have. Sounded pretty much the same to me. Maybe just ever so slightly bigger sounding but I'm really splitting hairs here. The SE mod on the one in the store was nice though so I might still be looking into getting that for mine plus the 'WHOMP!' switch.

Bear in mind, I wasn't playing the amp in the store as loud as I play mine. I think that amp really shows it's character at stage volume. The knobs seem to be more affective when you tweak them at higher volumes too. So my comparison is probably a little skewed.

15. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

See... I listened to the video review of the OD-100 Classic and to the clips of the OD-100 SE... and DEFINATELY found the same to be true, the cleans sounded bigger, fuller... almost plexi-like... but with that Fender sweetness in the treble and overall smoothness... no KERANG!... which sounds perfect to me. The only thing I wonder is if the gain and voicing on the Classic model will be enough for me.

-TJK

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

This is EXACTLY... what I wanted to hear... so I'm thinking OD-100 Hot Classic... with Depth, Feedback and Whomp switch... Thank you so much John... I'll be in touch!

-TJK

17. bailnout

bailnout Member

If both you and Doug Aldrich like it, I'd probably like it too. It seems as time has gone on, the things you say you like in a guitar amp have been right in line with what I hear. And Doug has always had a killer tone IMO.

So I'm looking at probably going with an SE mod, Whomp, and a switch to go from EL34s to 5881. I like the idea of having the flexi-bility of using different tubes for different flavas.

Also, question for you John, if you are still following this thread, can my Boost knob on the back be moved back to the PCB as a "set and forget" adjustment there in order to open up the knob hole on the back panel for a different mod?

I'm all about the AC/DC type of classic crunch and I feel I can get that out of my amp very well the way it's currently set up. I also understand that getting the SE mod won't effect my ability to get that, just make the leads soar and sing a bit more. I like the idea of that. I'm also in the Henderson/Landau camp though in that I love a little overdrive boost in front of the amp. I think that also helps mine get me there because I run my gain at about #5 or even a little less for rhythm and with the gain set there, the boost by itself doen't quite get there. A stock TS10 never sounded better than sitting in front of the OD-100. This head takes pedals like no other amp I've ever played.

One other tone tweaking tip I would offer to current and future OD-100 owners is this: put an EQ in the loop. You can get the amp to sound pretty much like anything you want with that in there. It's also great to just goose the amp a little bit to push it into high gain metal thunder. This head can really do some damage.

18. bailnout

bailnout Member

With enough notice, I would be all over that. Best if it's a Saturday.

19. miltwill

miltwill Silver Supporting Member

Bailnout,

I think we can easily work something out. I don't live far from BGE. Saturdays are the only days that work for me as well. It will probably be next saturday. I'll PM you and we can discuss times.

Milt