Tried a Different Amp Set-Up Last Week

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ECase, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ECase

ECase Member

So I just thought I'd try a new amp setup at a smallish club last week.

Normally, I'm a "big amp" guy: I prefer to run my Monotone JTM45 Head with a Weber attenuator (through a 2x12) to get it down to manageable levels.

Lately, however I've fallen under the Tweed spell; I picked up a Tweed Deluxe (also a clone kit) and was just knocked out when I heard it. It just sounded so "righteous."

So I decided to do this gig (I play mostly Americana and Blue-influenced rock; Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Arc Angels, Black Crowes, etc. etc., originals and covers) with the Tweed but then also decided to "Y" it (NOT stereo, just two amps) with a Blues Junior I had sitting around.

Oh my.

Here are the learnings:
    • Those amps together sound REALLY nice. Great vintage/rock and roll tone.
    • It's a lot lighter to carry two small amps
    • While it was certainly I SLIGHT challenge to get those amps over drums, keyboards and a 2nd electric, overall they can cut the mustard (I just watched a guy refer to a 40 watt EC Twinolux as a great "gigging amp", and my response was, "I don't know what clubs YOU'RE playing at, but 40 watts in most bars is just going to blow the doors off of everyone.
    • Tweeds are good, good, good gifts.

That's all... probably going to go back to the JTM just because, but it's fun to have options.

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Sounds like a cool gig you have.

3. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

So, how many watts is your JTM? 30-45? Doesn't the Twinolux have built in attenuator?

Not try'n to bust your sack. I play out with a 1987x. Mostly with out an attenuator.

4. ECase

ECase Member

The JTM yeah is somewhere between those.

If a room really gets thumping I can pretty much take the attenuator off, but until that time I usually have to clamp it down a bit.

I know those EC amps have a "Low Power" switch but I'm not sure how much they cut. Probably enough; I was just making a point....

don't worry, my sack does not feel busted. :)

I'd love to pick up a 1987x as well. That's on the wish list for sure.