Tried a KOT & Wampler Dual Fusion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ogre, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Ogre

Ogre Member

Guess which came home with me? The Wampler Dual Fusion, and it wasn't even close. The Dual Fusion had more sounds, & more natural & usable tones. I was really surprised I didn't like the "King Of Tone" more, as I am a big Analogman fan.

2. nickthenail

nickthenail Member

Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about the KOT? I own one and find that I use it for a specific tone. It would not be my go to for an all-purpose overdrive.

3. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

I'm very surprised to hear that. I had a DualFusion, and I'm a huge fan of Brian's pedals, but it can't touch the KOT to these ears.

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

Compared to the Wampler, the KOT felt less natural sounding, and just left me(and several other people) scratching our heads. By comparison, the Dual Fusion was a fuller more organic(amp-like) sounding overdrive. It sure surprised me.

5. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

I came to the same conclusion when I got my Dual Fusion... For all intents and purposes, it is the most versatile drive pedal I've ever seen. The vast spectrum of usable gain is simply phenomenal. From slight clipping to 80's hair metal and everything in between...

6. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

If you were trying to get the same real estate out of these two, that's like playing an NBA team vs. an NFL team at cricket. They aren't even supposed to cover the same ground.

7. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

How were using the KoT? For example, to push a dirty amp, to take a clean amp from clean to crunch, to push an edge of breakup amp a bit further, etc?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. Ogre

Ogre Member

9. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

That would explain it right there. The KoT is best used in an amp that already has a bit of hair on it. I am not knocking the DF, but there is some interesting magic dust in the KoT when used on an already crunchy, loud amp. When I got my KoT I was scratching my head as to what the hype was. Started playing it through the clean channel and was underwhelmed. Cranked the amp up to a little past the edge of breakup and hit the yellow side...

Found the goods.

Enjoy your new drive pedal.

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

KoT would not be my first choice unless you just want to just fatten up the clean tone. For me the KoT excels at taking an already dirty amp further into drive (i.e., what an overdrive is intended to do, in my opinion). If you want to go from clean to crunch (or beyond), a pedal that is designed to do that - like some of the wamplers - would be a better choice.

11. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

This!!

This...and do it at band volume on a reasonably loud stage and it just brings out "more" of your amp in a very musical way.

OP, it wasn't designed to take a clean amp and give it an OD channel, which it sounds like you are using the DF to do. Enjoy your DF pedal!

12. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I love my Dual Fusion!

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

If the KOT is designed to use with an amp already breaking up, that would explain a lot.

14. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Yes, and you need to crank the volume and gain on the KOT to get it into a sweet spot.

Forget what you know about other pedals or assumptions.

It will sound thin if you don't crank them.

15. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

The KOT is truly an amazing pedal. I own about 20 overdrives and have sold more than I care to admit. The King of Tone properly dialed in is like nothing else out there. Ignore everything you know about settings and just use your ear. It also cleans up really well with your guitar volume.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  16. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Uhmmm... seems like that is what the OP did. :aok

The KOT is a Bluesbreaker-based circuit,
    and I personally have never jived with that
    type of circuit--no matter how enhanced
    and tweaked it might be. :)

Choices and options exist for a reason.

17. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Sure he did. As you did. But at least before swearing off that circuit all together, as you have, you should hear it at its best.

Don't think he has heard it at its best yet.

18. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

I use my KOT into my Classic 30 at volumes below breaking-up level. I love how it sounds used that way as well.

19. bluflames

bluflames Member

I don't have a KoT but I did mod a ggg bluesbreaker to KoT OD specs.

I will say that it does sound good at low volumes, just not magical. The circuit doesn't compress very much by itself which is why I think it works so well boosting a hot amp - once things start compressing you get a tremendous range of sounds just by varying your pick attack. It's got a very nice attack to it that sounds especially good when you're out of headroom haha.

However I've never tried the wampler so I can't comment as to how it compares.

20. eagle2x

eagle2x Member

Those of you using the KOT as designed, do you have normal gain or higher gain models?