• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tried a Les Paul Special today

grizdeluxe

Or as they call this one. Les Paul Junior Special singlecut

Right out of the box at GC and right into my hands. :)

Singlecut. Cherry finish. Binding on the neck is a nice touch.

Slim neck but not like an SG. Felt really good all the way up the neck.

It sounded awesome. Like a good P-90 it rides that line from crunch to twang really well. The neck PU is really nice for bluesy runs and sounds nice and clear when played clean. GC is selling these for 999. Not a bad deal considering you arent getting a multi piece body,(mine was 2) and you get neck binding. The picture shown doesnt show binding but this one had it.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
glad that Gibson is bringing back this model as a standard prod model. curious to see what the TV finishes look like. all the pics show these without neck binding.

hate to say it, but these may be the leftover robot guitars, without all the bells and whistles :bonk

wish they did these with a 59 carve neck and wraparound bridge.

mark norwine

IMO (so discard as you see fit), the magic of a junior / special is in the wrap bridge/tail.

A TOM just wrecks these great little pieces.

These types of reissue guitars can be found used & beat up for huge discounts. I say get one of those, plug the tail & TOM holes & drill for a bar. You'll be floored by the difference!

grizdeluxe

Gloss finish. I keep going back to how comfortable the neck was on it. I pondered buying it, but I have in the works to build a singlecut Jr and a doublecut Special so this was research in a way. Maybe they will let me copy those neck dimensions? :)

TD_Madden

KotWF
Have one these made a couple years ago by Epiphone (for Japan domestic sales, complete with the Gibson open-book headstock).

Excellent guitar made even better by the Lollars I put in it. ;-)

MacDoggie

The MF link said it has an ebony fret board. The ones I recall seeing had rosewood. How quiet are the P90s for hum? That's the thing that drives me nuts on them. Sounds sweet at that price!

Top Bottom