Tried a Marshall JVM 210H

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Well, the good news is it was quiet for an amp with that much gain, and when pushed with gain, the low end held together. (Maybe because there is not much low end??) The tones? Uggh. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get a decent clean tone to save my life. Hard, cold, sterile, and totally lacking in richness or harmonic content. The low gain tones were awful. No matter how low you set the gain, there was always a HEAVY buzz on top of the note. Turning up the gain, turned up the buzz factor in direct proportions. If you turned the treble almost all the way off, it helped a bit, but then the tone was even more dead. If you want gain, you will get it. There is so much gain in the first channel in orange mode, its more than I would ever need, but go to the second channel and go into the red zone, see what you think. It was like someone threw 500 killer bees nests into the store there was so much buzzing going on! Ladies and kids were screaming and running out in horror, as they thought they were going to be stung to death! :eek: Oh yea, the reverb was as cheap and cheesy sounding as the ones on the old 800 seires. How do they sell these things?? Dont worry about what guitar you plug in, because they will all sound the same anyway. :crazy

Can you tell I did not dig it? The amp has one thing it wants to do. gain gain gain gain gain gain...........all at the expense of tone. Ugh. :(

Sniper-V

Hmm, I didn't think the JVM410 was all that bad. I even thought the cleaner stuff was decent. I also though it had way too much gain on tap on OD1 and then the transition to OD2. Overall the amps OD wasn't voiced exactly the way I liked so I passed on it, besides it had way too many channels and "stuff".

I had some hopes on the 210H though, thinking it would be the difference like the DSL was to the TSL. I was thinking it would be a little more dynamic and organic with the simpler circuit, if I can even say that about these amps. I guess I have to try one for myself...

Tag

then again I don't spend my life playing jazz scales all day long.

Good thing if you ever own one of these things.
:rotflmao

Without a doubt one of the worst sounding amps I have ever played.
:messedup

nitehawk55

It's a shame the Marshall R&D dept. doesn't get it's act together and start producing some good amps (which they should be able to ) instead of riding on their name . What has Marshall offered in the past 10-15 years that really has been outstanding ?

HeeHaw

I strongly disliked both the JVM and Vintage modern and the JCM2000 series. Truth be known I always thought the JCM 800 sounds kind of ratty with it's master volume. To my ears they all sounded ratty and sterile to me. The JVM does seem to do the compressed gain thing pretty well but that's just not my thing.

That being said, I dig a plexi or a jtm 45 and I don't know why. Not that they are better than anything else, but they just seem to fit me like an old shoe.

Unabender

Without a doubt one of the worst sounding amps I have ever played.
:messedup
Yes, for the kind of music you play. You COULD at least try to be more objective... After all, is it really possible Marshalls suck so much if they are so popular? Or MAYBE, maybe they just fit most people well enough.

trisonic

Time was they made an amp (JTM45) that sounded great when played a certain way now they make amps that have to be played a certain way - it's kind of arse about face......

Best, pete.

rcl

Any amp that is made to cover all sounds will be a tough sell. The JVM is a marshall. Sounds like a marshall. Sounds like a great marshall. The clean channel was the weak link for me, though I still bought one. It resides firmly at #2 in the batting order. At the moment the egnater 4100 is in the #1 slot. The cleans on that amp are amazing.

I never had a problem getting sounds I liked out of the channels. Litteraly set all the JVM knobs to noon and I got good tones. The controls didnt really change the sound much, but they didnt design it to be able to sound like a mesa. It's a marshall. Any amp gets this love it/hate it treatment. The funny part here is that it all went down last year with the 410. Much easier to tweak than the road king which after 10 months got sent to the corner for misbehaving. What a joy the JVM was in comparison. And still is.

The eggy on the other hand is something folks should look at if they are in the 1400$ range for a head. The 4 channels on this thing sound great and can be tweaked to get a WIDE variety of sounds. You may not find your sound in there, but it would be worth a listen. I was digging the EVH head, especially the gain channels when I tried the egnater. The clean channel sold me right away. The gain channels were just icing on the cake after that. The contour and classic/modern switches revioce the preamp section drastically. The only downside is when retube time comes. 8 preamp tubes in this bad boy.

Flameout12

Any amp that is made to cover all sounds will be a tough sell. The JVM is a marshall. Sounds like a marshall. Sounds like a great marshall.
Just wondering if folks who don't like this amp have ever owned a JMP/JCM and have played the kinds of music these were a part of?
I have read some very positive comments on the JVM, especially with its ability to recreate some of the older Marshall sounds.

Tag

Yes, for the kind of music you play. You COULD at least try to be more objective... After all, is it really possible Marshalls suck so much if they are so popular? Or MAYBE, maybe they just fit most people well enough.
I play all styles, and metal as well on ocassion. I grew up playing it, and Marshalls. I will say another thing good about the amp. With all of that compression and gain, it is VERY easy to burn hammers and pulls. Great, all at the expense of tone. :(

Flameout12

I play all styles, and metal as well on ocassion. I grew up playing it, and Marshalls. I will say another thing good about the amp. With all of that compression and gain, it is VERY easy to burn hammers and pulls. Great, all at the expense of tone. :(
Got any clips of you playing metal?

riffmeister57

I know what you mean, I own a DSL2000 and it does not really get to that "tone quality" I was hoping for. I thought after playing with it for a while I would come close, but it left me searching again.

I think soon guitarists will be talking about the new 800 Kerry King model. This is the best sounding amp I have ever played through as it doesn’t have that dreaded ice pick sound, just great gain with very nice tone.

My drummer plays guitar and he bought one of these. Lucky me, I got to play with it for a while without being bothered in a store, really cranked her up. I was so surprised that all the classic rock tones were in there as well (I just backed off the molten metal sounds a bit... which are great as well). This is sure to be a modern classic, I bought one the next day & am selling my DSL2000 soon.

It's a shame the Marshall R&D dept. doesn't get it's act together and start producing some good amps (which they should be able to ) instead of riding on their name . What has Marshall offered in the past 10-15 years that really has been outstanding ?

Red Planet

I played one a few weeks ago. The tone was not quite what I like.

The thing I couldnt get over was the flemsy pot stems. Funny feeling it was. :cool:

digital jams

WTF TAg is Banned?!?:!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

Oh man.............

OT love my JVM and it has been gunned and played for a year with zero issues :cool:

Rex Nomad

Dude, I'm surprised you're posting about a Marshall. It's just so obviously not your thing... even before you turn the power on.

Red Planet

On the baaned subject I've been temp booted once before. I think Tag has gotten the temp boot a coupl times. Unfortunately us gear knuckle heads get on here and get all worked up over this stuff.

The last time I got booted me and someone else got into it big time over some stupid stuff. The other guy got the permanent boot and Igot a 30 day deal.

I geuss the moral to the story is we all (including myself) shouldnt take this stuff and ourselves to seriously.

It takes all kinds of gear to make the Rockin World Go Round. Ahhhhh fat bottom girls you make the.................

mmorse

Did Tag really get banned? I hope it was for something other than expressing a negative opinion about an amp. Actually, I said much the same thing about the JVM 410 when it first came out. And the reaction I got from some of the early owners, you would have thought I shot their mother or something. I felt vindicated though when some of them turned around and sold the amp a few weeks later.

digital jams

Did Tag really get banned? I hope it was for something other than expressing a negative opinion about an amp. Actually, I said much the same thing about the JVM 410 when it first came out. And the reaction I got from some of the early owners, you would have thought I shot their mother or something. I felt vindicated though when some of them turned around and sold the amp a few weeks later.

No kidding, like that Marshall Vm is a POS thread, such negative posting is never a win/win situation.

mmorse

Any amp that is made to cover all sounds will be a tough sell. The JVM is a marshall. Sounds like a marshall. Sounds like a great marshall. The clean channel was the weak link for me, though I still bought one. It resides firmly at #2 in the batting order. At the moment the egnater 4100 is in the #1 slot. The cleans on that amp are amazing.

I never had a problem getting sounds I liked out of the channels. Litteraly set all the JVM knobs to noon and I got good tones. The controls didnt really change the sound much, but they didnt design it to be able to sound like a mesa. It's a marshall. Any amp gets this love it/hate it treatment. The funny part here is that it all went down last year with the 410. Much easier to tweak than the road king which after 10 months got sent to the corner for misbehaving. What a joy the JVM was in comparison. And still is.

The eggy on the other hand is something folks should look at if they are in the 1400$ range for a head. The 4 channels on this thing sound great and can be tweaked to get a WIDE variety of sounds. You may not find your sound in there, but it would be worth a listen. I was digging the EVH head, especially the gain channels when I tried the egnater. The clean channel sold me right away. The gain channels were just icing on the cake after that. The contour and classic/modern switches revioce the preamp section drastically. The only downside is when retube time comes. 8 preamp tubes in this bad boy.
The 4100 hasn't gotten a lot of love on forums either but I thought it was quite good for a 4 channel tube amp for $1400. It can sound every bit as bad as the JVM if set up wrong. But set the switches to classic and keep the contour level off and the buzzing bees fly away. And the best part of the amp for me is that it can sound nice and full at rather low levels. To me at least, I thought the 4100 has succeeded where the JVM failed. OF course, YMMV.

Trending Topics