Tried a Pinnacle and bought a Riot

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by droptune, Feb 22, 2012.

1. droptune

droptune Member

I was pedal hunting yesterday and I wanted the Wampler Pinnacle so bad. I plugged it in and fiddled with it for 30 min. I was very dissappionted. Not what I had hoped. I was ready to leave and the sales guy said I want you to try the Suhr Riot. WOW. I thought it stomped the Pinnacle. Actually it is the best dist. pedal I ever tried. What do you guys think of it? Also, dont even bother with the SLOstortin. It was a buzzy, fuzzy mess.

2. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

I've never played the Pinnacle, but the Riot is great! I traded mine away awhile back, but I've been thinking of picking up one of the limited edition black ones on the emporium.

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Wow! I guess they're not for everyone. Im not a huge Wampler fan but i do like the Pinnacle! Also love the Faux Tape Echo. Havent tried the Riot yet. Does the Riot do the brown sound? Just so you know, the Pinnacle does the EVH sound real well. Maybe your not after that tone?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

I would say the Riot does a good EVH sound, but it seems most people favor one over the other (From what I've read), so they must differ some.

5. AtlMusicMan86

AtlMusicMan86 Member

I beyond love my Riot. Such a great distortion pedal, I tried the Wampler Plextortion and was completely dissatisfied. It kinda turned me away from Wampler pedals.

6. johann

johann Member

Both the Pinnacle and Plextortion are really good pedals, I found the Pinnacle does the "brown" sound a little better tha the Riot, the Riot is a little bit heavier.

Plextortion isno a really high gain, is more a kind of AC/DC, G'N'R sound, really good at it.

Wampler builds really good pedals (see my signature) the Faux Tape Echo is amazing

7. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Suhr Riot wasnt for me at all, bought a v4 MI Audio Crunchbox and ive never been happier. For overdrive duties, id love to try the effectrode tube drive.

8. Zero G

Zero G Member

Did you get to crank the amp up you tried them through? Wampler's dirt pedals sound way better when your amp is cooking.

9. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I liked the Riot, but it didn't cut through enough for me.

10. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I agree 100% with the OP.

My Riot cuts through quite well, BTW. More like pushes down the door, actually.

11. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I've had too many drive pedals come on and off my board through the years, but I love my Pinnacle Drive. Haven't tried the Riot, although I've been close a few times. . . Pinnacle is uber tweakable, I mainly leave it in vintage mode. Pure brown EVH gold. . .

12. droptune

droptune Member

I was after the Brown Sound. Thats why I tried the Pinnacle. I just thought the Riot could do the Brown and get a little heavier also.

13. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Just goes to show how rig dependent all pedals are. So much of it is determined by the guitar and the amp. Through one setup, the Pinnacle is amazing...but pure poo through the next setup. Same thing for the Riot. Though, the majority of drive pedals are like this, I feel like this is even more apparent with higher gain pedals.

14. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've not tried the Pinnacle, but am on my 2nd RIOT.

But, I hardly use it, as it seems too scooped in the mid's. I wish
    it had a Midrange knob.

15. droptune

droptune Member

Thats funny because I thought the middle setting on the toggle had very strong mids. Just like the other poster said, it really depends on your setup.

16. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Tried both, Riot ended up winning out as a good all around dist into a clean amp - mostly used Rats until the Riot.

17. leonardrock

leonardrock Supporting Member

Agreed! I played my Ecstasy for a week at bedroom volumes and almost bailed on it since I have several other dirt boxes that do pretty well with a quieter amp. Since I live in an apartment, low volume performance is key! Cranked things up at rehearsal though and unleashed the beast!

18. autonomous

autonomous Member

Just try the CMATMOD Brownie. Proguitarshop.com now carries them. (30 day trial) I love mine and it's much cheaper. I agree with your assessment of the slostortion. It was a fizzy mess, but I loved that boost. I would to get that boost solo. Cheers.

19. droptune

droptune Member

Yeah, I loved the Slostortion boost too. First one Ive ever heard that would actually boost volume and not just saturate more.

20. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've never tried the Riot but I had the Pinnacle and the Plextortion at the same time. I ended up keeping the Plextortion. The Pinnacle sounded great but it felt a little loose in the bottom. The Plextortion is a beast though! It's not going anywhere.