Tried a Spider V 120...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hippietim, Dec 8, 2016.

1. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I went to GC the other day hoping to run across a Katana 100 watt 1x12 combo. Nope.

They had the new Line 6 Spider V combos though and I tried out the 120. I flipped through a couple presets and was not impressed. So I just started editing the patch to get what I wanted. I turned off all the effects and just tried to dial in a basic Marshall crunch tone. Navigating the UX was cumbersome but not difficult. It didn't take long to dial in a totally usable tone though. I had a pretty sweet sounding patch in a few minutes that would clean up when I rolled back the volume and then when I opened it up I could get some nice controlled feedback.

I didn't have much more time but I have to say this amp is definitely a very worthy contender in the $300-500 modeling rig arena. The Line 6 FBV Express MkII foot controller has a tuner and expression pedal builtin for the same price as the Boss GA-FC, the Spider V has builtin wireless support for the G10, and you can edit the Spider V with a smart phone whereas the Boss requires a computer of some sort. So the Boss Katana really needs to deliver on the tone to be as compelling because the Line 6 is only 70 bucks more.

I'll reserve final judgement until I can spend more time with it and compare the Katana but either way it seems that Line 6 have a winner with the Spider V 120.

2. Antmax

Antmax Member

Yeah. I got gifted a 60 and initial impression was so so. But after a couple of days and some fiddling it's definitely growing on me. I also recieved a G10T transmitter, the 60 and bigger models have the relay reciever built in. I'm thoroughly impressed with the wireless. Can walk around the house and garden with three pups in tow. Worked flawlessly the 40 feet I wandered out to. You can get pretty nice tones and considering how few buttons there are it's simple and intuitive to control. I tried the android app and checked out some of the higher rated tones in the user library and found some really nice ones there too.

I also have a CODE 50 which when combined with a 10 band EQ pedal to compensate for the cheap speaker sounds pretty good but is a lot more work. You can see Line 6 have far more experience in all things digital. Still a toss up between which I like better but

I'm REALLY liking the wireless and the Line 6 is fantastic for a living room practice amp if like me you use Yousician a lot. It has ASIO drivers and the full range audio from the Notebook from Yousician backing tracks can be adjusted separately to the guitar tone. Master for backing and EQ volume for guitar. Backing tracks aren't audiophile but compared to a guitar speaker its decent.

I went in with a fairly negative expectations from all the Line 6 hate online. I haven't used their products before. So I'm pleasantly liking the Spider V 60

MIJLOVER likes this.
  3. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

The Spider V is 20% off automatically at Musician's Friend when you put it in you cart so the 120 is $319 shipped.

Glad you liked it... I had a similar experience with my V 30 but I found the interface on the amp to be very easy. It definitely cured my GAS. I love it

otter5555 and MIJLOVER like this.
  4. jageya

jageya Member

not when i did it..pre order came up and they have a 17% coupon now but it doesnt work

5. jageya

jageya Member

i would be too if someone gave one to me..lol...the question is....would you spend you own money on it? thanx

RedRock likes this.
  6. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

You have to be signed into your account for it to work. So go to MF and sign in then put it in your cart and you will see the promotion

deanesque likes this.
  7. hippietim

I tried this and it did work. I didn't buy it but I got the discount in my cart.

8. jageya

jageya Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. ejecta

ejecta Member

He actually makes some valid points but the delivery leaves a whole lot to be desired. I'm just not a fan of the lazy cheap way out of trying be funny by doing very poor immitation of South Park style humor.

RedRock and pber2025 like this.
  10. jageya

jageya Member

i see that point. Its was kind of funny but i agree that i want a plug and play and go type modeler that has great tone. Tone is subjective but the way he comes off is harsh for sure. I think he knows his stuff but is a bit too confident of that. I have friends like him that are great sound guys and recording engineers- they all know the tricks and how to make anything sound good but they love when a guy comes in with a great tone from the get go...it was humorous...to watch that vid....

ejecta likes this.
  11. MartinC

MartinC Member

This is the dilemma exactly for me. On paper the packaging of the Spider is brilliant and is easily the closest to my wish list on features. Top of the list though has to be tone and feel/dynamics. The Katana 50 has that, and I hear that the 100 does better still on the low end, and throws in an effects loop and presence control. I think I need to just try a Spider V 120.

Jchrisf likes this.
  12. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Do you have the Katana 50? I chose the V 30 over the Katana purely from otter555's thread (link below) where he preferred the V to the Katana when he compared them and actually sent the Katana back. I've always enjoyed his reviews and I like his playing style and tone. On paper the V was perfect for me too. Glad I got it and it will never go anywhere but I do look forward to trying a Katana.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/22937500/

13. MartinC

MartinC Member

Don't have a Katana 50, just spent a happy 30 minutes with one in a shop ... still working on funds generation, and would want to try the 100 first before buying ... would most likely choose the 100 over the 50 anyway. But, in fairness, I would want to try a Spider V 120 and Mustang first also. If the Spider could do tone AND feel/dynamics like the Katana, then the extra money would be justified to me to go with the Spider ... but that's a big "IF" at the moment ... Katana was impressive and my Line 6 experience previously was devoid of feel/dynamics (POD XT Live)

14. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Have any of you that have spent time with a spider V messed around with the drums and looper features at all? I'm curious if it can be used like the zoom stuff, where you can sync the looper to the drums and specify a number of beats for the loop instead of trying to time it perfectly. I'm might grab a small practice amp for my son and just saw these in a Sweetwater mailer.

15. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Love the fearless gear reviews!

Awesome channel.

He's not exactly lying though is he. The Spider sounds bloody awful.

Hello, it's 2005 knocking awful.

Every Spider V video I've watched made me cringe. The problem I see is that modeller years are far more distant than even dog years so it's like they got a calculator off of an Apollo rocket old in regards to tone...or it's lack of tone...

pagemore, MmcGrouty and Elantric like this.
  16. pber2025

pber2025 Member

Why is it that every time a thread is created on the Spider V. Someone feels the need to bring the fearless review video again and again?

You do realize that this guy is paid every time someone watches his video? So he has all the reasons in the world do a show and people were expecting him to destroy the amp before he started so not much value in his review except for entertainment.

Now he is suppose to be a pro, yet people here and the Web manage to get much better tone from the amp...wonder why...

Fluff's review is much better in my opinion. He did not like the speaker on the V30. Even said it is bad. He also commented on the fact you can't record using USB and use the software to control the amp at the same time which is a valid point. But he still got much better tone from the amp and his review is much more balanced.

Andertons did a match of the current budget friendly modelers they also got a better tone from the V30. Ola Englund also got much better tone from the amp, but I think he was using a V120.

People are free to like it or not, but the fearless review should not be used as a reference.

spiral, FPFL and Scrapperz like this.
  17. hippietim

I ended up buying a Katana 1x12 100 today. It just sounds better to me.

18. jjb

jjb Member

Similar to my story. I had the V120 - returned it - have the Katana 100 now. I like the Katana better sound wise. Loved the wireless and the foot switch on the V though. Suspect the sounds I wanted are in the V but I did not find them easily.

hippietim likes this.
  19. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

To me there is no comparison if you need a tool to actually gig with -it's Katana

But hey "vive la dif·fé·rence"

To me each amp (Spider V vs Katana) serve different markets.

With Katana , I've not had this much fun since playing a genuine 1968 50watt plexi Marshall and I can stay on one moderate high gain patch (Katana "factory Channel #2" ) most of the gig and get all my tones from my Les Paul ,( my clean rhythm "neck Vol on "2" and bridge Vol on "10" for solos) and sit in on any stage and have Tone that holds up and sustains and reacts to my touch. Katana is in a different class No YouTube video can convey
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ana-amplifiers.1744135/page-120#post-23134080

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    pagemore and hippietim like this.
  20. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

The V30 I have doesn't have a looper so I don't know the answer. The V30 is the best practice tool I have ever used and I love it. It sounds great too. It nails the tones I like as good or better than anything I've heard at bedroom volumes and has a much fuller sound. I am so happy that I am practicing and playing much more and that is what is most important to me... to become a better guitarist. Since this tool is doing it well, I for the first time, am not desiring more gear. I hope to ride this as long as I can and become the guitarist I've always wanted to be.

Right now the metronome feature has been more instrumental to me than the drum loops. I think there are about half a dozen different metronome sounds. There are not a lot of drum loops but enough for me and they sound good. I tried a search but couldn't find more info even though I know I've seen it posted somewhere.

pagemore likes this.