Tried a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature 2 and was massively underwhelmed- help pls.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by octatonic, Feb 15, 2012.

1. octatonic

octatonic Member

Hi people,

I tried a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature 2 today and found it to be very disappointing.
    It belongs to a friend of mine- he has a matching cab and had spoken that he found it similarly disappointing.

Spend a good 20 mins with it trying to find a decent tone- nothing really worked for me- either with a nice old tele we had there or my Suhr Modern.
    No matter what we did it just seemed overly compressed and dark sounding.
    The reverb, even on full, was hardly there.

What is the deal with these?
    Is this to be expected or do you suspect he might have a problem?

I know there isn't much to go on but any help would be appreciated.

2. Chad@LTD-Resistance

Chad@LTD-Resistance Supporting Member

Those amps are far from being dark and compressed. It sounds like either the output tubes need to be checked for proper bias, the phase inverter tube is shot, or there is something else wrong with it. I would have your friend contact me through the service email and I will get him set up.

Wyzard likes this.
  3. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Q: How many guitar players does it take to play a Two-Rock?

A: Three. One to play the guitar, one to continuously turn the knobs, and the third is the dentist who owns the amp pacing the room to find a spot where it sounds good.

4. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

:spit

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Cannot imagine TR would let anything that has that quality to it, off of Bill Krinard's bench. It's something out of spec. Needs to be looked at by a pro.

Wyzard likes this.
  6. octatonic

octatonic Member

Thanks guys- I will he suggest he get it serviced.

7. octatonic

octatonic Member

Didn't see this response quite so soon.

Thanks for the amazingly prompt response Chad.
    Quick question- when the reverb is turned up full how wet should it be?
    When I tried it it sounded like less that 10% was verb when the pot was dimed.
    Something has to be wrong there, right?

8. Chad@LTD-Resistance

Chad@LTD-Resistance Supporting Member

Definitely something wrong with that amp. The V2's have almost too much reverb on tap especially the wet side when dimed.

9. octatonic

octatonic Member

Thank you- you have been very helpful.
    I'll relay the information.

10. GITARGUY

GITARGUY Member

No dude, nothing's wrong with the amp. I'll tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for a few bucks and you can find another.
    :drool

Please!

Lorne

11. octatonic

octatonic Member

I won't relay this information to the owner. :bounce

macmax77 likes this.
  12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

A local guy has one that sounds killer when he can really open it up, one of the coolest sounding amps I've heard. Completely awesome.

It sounds a little stiffled in smaller rooms where volume is an issue.

Have you opened it up yet? It's a Mazerati, not a Camry.

boyce89976 likes this.
  13. hearmecrybaby

hearmecrybaby Senior Member

i can't tell if this is a TGP meme yet. every time somebody doesn't like the tone of some expensive piece of gear there has to be a "get it checked out" response because there is no way reasonable people can disagree about an objective reality like guitar tone.

14. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

TR's customer service is second to none
    They will make it right

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    MattH likes this.
  15. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I don't own a Two Rock to defend but the OP's comment that the "reverb, even on full, was hardly there" seems to indicate a problem with the amp.

16. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

It could very well be out of spec/something wrong in the amp. However, couple more suggestions.

1) Two-Rocks are really easy to bias if you get a multimeter and follow the instruction manual. Make sure it's biased right and then check each tube one at a time by swapping it out with a known good one. It may help save on shipping.

2) Could be user error, Chad helped me out with this in the past. They dial a little different than other amps, for instance you have to back off the bass and use the contour knob, don't be afraid to use it. And all the switching options could throw people off too. And the amp can push a lot of frequencies and bass successfully so when you turn up to volume you probably have to back off the bass some even though it sounds good a low volume and sounds like the amp can take it. On an old Fender blackface (the Bassman I had), when you turn up the volume, you're quickly reminded to turn down the bass b/c the amp can't handle it.

Anyhow, good luck. I had a Jet Sig which is similar to the CRSv2 and I found my bass knob to be around 9 o'clock with my strat. I know this circuit can sound very open and wonderful. Good luck.

17. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Sounds like a Tube or amp issue.....however....I've played that model Two Rock and didn't think it was the Cat's Meow FWIW. Now....for cleans....the Two Rock TS-1 was spectacular, especially with Single Coils. The OD side was nice too.

18. octatonic

octatonic Member

Perhaps it is a meme, but I asked an honest question.

It seemed to me that something was wrong with the amp but I wanted to check with others here who know it more that something might be up with it.

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Uh, no. It's because it's a TUBE amp, and **** happens with TUBE amps.

I take even my cheap, production tube amps to get "checked out" at least once a year because it helps keep them sounding their best, better in most cases than the same amps new on the sales floor.

20. SeanMc

SeanMc Member

Can't speak for anyone else... For me, and my experience, the process went like this...

1 - Got a Custom Reverb Artist... Tubes were flakey upon arrival and I assumed shipping damage as I got it from an upright seller. Also, I had some work to do swapping the amp guts between the combo shell and the head shell.
    2 - Once tubes were replaced and cabinet shell transfer was complete, I was "underwhelmed" by the sound/tone at first.
    3 - Spent a few weeks tweaking the amp, tweaking my playing, and trying to learn how it works and responds; which included experimenting with different cabs.
    4 - The light-bulb when on and *bam* I was able to get that "magic tone" that I was hoping the amp would provide at the start.

So... For the application that I use it for, it's an amazing and possibly replaceable amp. Others will have different experiences.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012