Tried a Vigier today...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Paul Conway, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

....the 'Expert' (3 x s/c). I have some reservations about not being able to mess with the relief, but other than that it was a very nice guitar. The neck....awesome. I'd say it is of comparable quality to my Suhr.

Anyone else tried a Vigier? Be interested in your thoughts.

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I had a SL master for a while. Loved the feel, playability, hated the tone and utterly hideous intonation adjustment scheme on the bridge. I would have liked to swap the bridge out and change buckers , but I lost motivation.

3. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

I have a '99 Surfreter. Top notch build and great neck, as you say.

Can't compare it to yours, obviously, but I've had no issues with it at all over a 9 year period.

[​IMG]

4. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

I've read that the SL has the lowest action of any guitar and because of the flat surface you can still bend without fret out. Because of that I've been interested in these guitars. But i also have reservations that it doesn't have a truss rod. Fairly rare guitar all in all, I think. Curious, you say the neck was of similar quality to the Suhr guitars, does that mean the playability was comparable? Even if it wasn't an SL, did you think the action was lower than other guitars you've played?

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've played a few over the past two years and while I'd never get that style of guitar, I liked them the best of all the available guitars (in that style)... Best shred/metal guitars, IMO! Very nice and fast/smooth necks. Impressive!

6. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I used to have two... an Excaliber Special and an Excaliber UltraBlues... the Ultra was much better sounding but both ultimately got let go when I discovered Suhr and Myka.
    The Vigiers played great bit sounded way smaller than the Suhrs I've owned since then... also, the neck and fingerboard radius was too small for my hands on both Vigiers... I really wanted to love them, but in the end I only liked them... I found the sounds to be a little cold, over all...

7. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I've owned 4.
    SL master
    Excaliber Supra
    2 Excaliber Originals

Every one of them has had a great playing neck. Action and overall setup were top-notch, better than any other guitars i've ever owned.
    Unfortunately, without fail, every one of them sounded "thin", especially clean. The SL was the worst in that regard.
    Great guitars, but just not right for me i guess.

8. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Hmmm...didn't get to try it plugged in, so will see.

9. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've owned a few Suhrs and played a ton of them. The action the the Vigier I had was way lower than any Suhr I've run across. Suhrs come setup pretty high from the factory IMO. They can be lowered, but still not as low as the Vigier.

10. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

The sales guy reckons that Vigier haven't had a neck go bad in 20 years or so. Make of that what you will. The relief is factory-set.

Personally, I like a bit of height under my strings. The stock Suhr action is way too low!

11. freedom's door

I've heard of a few Vigier owners having problems with the neck. That has been few and far between though. I remember Ed D saying he's left his in the trunk of his car when the weather was freezing, and had no ill effects.

When i owned mine, i was living in a basement apartment with no A/C on Long Island, and the humidity in summertime had no ill effect on the necks at all.

12. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Maybe it's the bridge? It seemed quite flimsy.

13. freedom's door

Well the SL and Supra had the non locking bridge, and the Originals had the locking version, but both version pivot on ball bearings instead of knife edges, so maybe?
    Another thing is that the body of the guitar is a lot thinner than any other guitar i've played- i always wondered if that had anything to do with it...

14. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

The expert I picked up seemed pretty heavy for the size. Don't recall noticing it being shallower-bodied. Will check again.

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Be looking into an Indus lately ... sold my SL

16. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

These metal fretboard ones are crazy. Feels liks your playing on ice. I have never experienced anything quite like it. I'd would love to get one someday.