Tried My First Reverend Tonight - Slingshot Custom

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Josh O, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I will admit when I first saw Reverend guitars a few years back, I was a little turned off by the looks. Well, I finally gave one it's just due tonight, a pretty sweet looking Slingshot Custom in Aged Yellow, black pickguard, three black P90s, maple board. I still find the construction a little odd but boy that thing really sang. Extremely resonant unplugged and although I'm not the biggest P90 fan, this guitar really had a sweet grind to it in all positions. I played around with it for about 1/2 hour or so through a Genz Benz Diablo combo and I was really taken aback. If I wasn't already trying to sell a guitar to pay for some non gear related stuff and had some house projects to take care of, this guitar would've followed me home. As I type this, I'm still mulling over just going back this week and buying it anyways, the price vs. the construction quality is almost too good to pass up. Jon, I now see why you're a big Reverend fan.

2. mischultz

mischultz Member

Indeed. And the SSC may be my favorite of the bunch. Folks seem to order them with Bigsby trems, which I don't quite get, but the 2 and 4 positions on the switch are absolutely fabulous. Big, Big, Big...

Michael

3. +1

Life's too short to play ugly guitars! :p

4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Join us in the Reverend Gallery! As a four Reverend owner, like Jon, I can tell you these things are addictive and sound sweet!

Mike

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

6. Josh O

Josh O Member

Although I didn't give it a try last night, my dealer had a Slingshot Junior. It was a single P90, rosewood board, non locking tuners in red. I don't know if it was part of the Workinghorse series or not. It's supposedly a 2005, when did the Workinghorse series get discontinued? The pickup also said Rio Grande on it if I remember correctly. I don't know if it had that new Bass Contour control. I liked the red alot but I liked the maple fretboard on the SSC I tried last night.

Is the Slingshot Junior something you can order direct from Reverend? I kind of like the Smoked Chrome Aluminum with Hot Rod Flames finish. Oh, damn this damn GAS, damn it right to hell!!!!!!

7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I can't imagine it could be a 2005, although the Workhorses came out in 2004. They aren't on the current lineup, and there weren't a whole lot of them made, in any event. I was sure I read Joe Naylor saying how many SSJrs were made, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Get a regular SS. You'll be glad you did. :D

8. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

I'm GASsing for a Slingshot Custom myself. Why did Reverend stop offering the Hipshot Trem? All you can get now is a Bigsby :mad:

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Reverend has cut back significantly on all of their options.

There are various theories as to why.

Some think it's to lower costs by simplifying production.

Personally, I think the main reason is make it easier to resell instruments returned under their awesome, no-questions-asked 14-day trial period (the fewer options available the more likely someone will either order the same guitar as was returned new -or- want to buy it for $50 off from the "available now" page).

Naturally, I have no actual basis for this view apart from my gut. :)