Tried revive my All Boss pedalboard... and...

1973Marshall

I am not so sure I am happy with it.

There's a BCB6 Boss pedal board I've had for years. It used to be my only pedal board and I gigged it a ton. After starting with DOD in junior high I quickly landed my first Boss SD1 Super Overdrive and then added a Flanger (long lost now), PS2 Pitch Shifter Delay... and well that's the kinda stuff people had back in the day. Few people had huge boards, you just pulled them out of a bag. The BCB6 was like, "oh wow how cool. Crap can't fit a Rat so that might have to go" - lame, I know!

Last week I decided to load up the all Boss board again. Needed a Reverb to round it out so I picked up an RV6 for a great price.

My list:
TR2 "Keeley modded" Tremolo (there's no sticker, it's got two flip switches and a changed light, got it at GC, not sure it's really Keeley)
SD1 Super Overdrive
Angry Driver JB2
BD2w Waza Blues Driver (great pedal)
RV6 Reverb (not sure I love this one)
Auto Wah AW3 (form my R&B band days)
GE7 EQ (more recent pickup, still something I use always)
CE5 Chorus Ensemble - meh
Boss TU2 Tuner - kinda clunky and takes up space
Sold my CS-3 - wasn't loving it as a comp or boost, use the Eventide and the MXR Custom Comp more

The results are not as fond as I recall. Maybe an all Boss board is just a silly idea. There's a reason why I moved to a Full Drive 2 (and eventually the OCD - all back when there were fewer boutiques). It was a little surprising considering how close I was to Boss and how much I love the form factor and switching. These days the effects market makes it like being in a candy store with gear.

Today with all these choices like BB Preamps, JHS Superbolts, Lovepedal Dover Drives, Skreddy P19s, Catalinbread Belle Epoch, Eventide H9 and then the amazing reissues like the EHX Big Muffs, MXR Script Phase 90 and so on - the Boss effects weren't quite as magical as I recall especially when they were all on one board.

Have any of you returned to Boss and been thrilled on some things and disappointed on another? Are there variants like Waza that made you happier?

At some point did it get so expensive that it wasn't worth it?

Last edited:

Riffa

I've always been into Boss. I put together a BCB-6 earlier this year and I love it. I've got a lot of Boss units (some on boards, others in the closet), so I've tried all kinds of pedal combinations with different results. Because the boxes are daisy-chained, I've gotten a fair amount of noise with some of them (DD-7, RV-2) in line, so that has been a bit of a challenge.

Right now I'm happy with the red power supply, OD-3 (modded), DS-2, CH-1 (analog), RV-5, TR-2. I own a bunch of pricier stuff, but I keep going back to Boss. YMMV!

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I also have a BCB-6 (actually 3) loaded with Boss pedals. My choices: Boss SD-1 (Fulldrive Mod), DS-1 (MIJ, stock), CE-2, PH-2r, TR-2 (Keeley), DD-3. Love it.

HAL 9000

Ok, not a BCB-6 but here are my Boss boards. I've unloaded most of my boutique, may purge them all.

These have just been working--no nonsense, no stress, sound great. I'm thinking of getting those Pedalocks so I can easily swap pedals in and out with ease. Boss has a lot of unique single pedals, dual pedals, you can mod them, they're durable. Just a cool brand.

Note: not sure what the etiquette is of posting the same boards in different threads. I'm a newbie...

Band board; some Boss in the wings, to be added as need arises.

big boss brd.jpg

Practice and friends' houses jam board.

small boss brd.jpg

1973Marshall

Ok, not a BCB-6 but here are my Boss boards. I've unloaded most of my boutique, may purge them all.

These have just been working--no nonsense, no stress, sound great. I'm thinking of getting those Pedalocks so I can easily swap pedals in and out with ease. Boss has a lot of unique single pedals, dual pedals, you can mod them, they're durable. Just a cool brand.

Note: not sure what the etiquette is of posting the same boards in different threads. I'm a newbie...

Band board; some Boss in the wings, to be added as need arises.

View attachment 319489

Practice and friends' houses jam board.

View attachment 319486
How do you like the RV6?

Can you describe the Combo Drive? The internet samples don't always sound great, would love to hear a user.

Do you like the CS2 more than the CS3? Have you ever used it as a boost?

HAL 9000

How do you like the RV6? Can you describe the Combo Drive? The internet samples don't always sound great, would love to hear a user. Do you like the CS2 more than the CS3? Have you ever used it as a boost?
Hey 1973Marshall,

I really like the RV-6. In another Boss thread, I commented how I can get a spot on Spring setting comparable my '71 DR reverb. All the verb choices are very cool.

The BC-2 really does turn my DR into a Vox-style. The Clean setting up til around 10 o'clock gives a tiny bit of girth but still cleanish. I use it for Allman Bros Ramblin' Man/Blue Sky tones, LP middle p/u.
Noon "Crunch" gives more chimey distortion. I usually don't go past 1-2. After that, it can can get a tad noisy. But with drums/bass, not an issue.
Around 9-10, bridge pick up Strat, is a great "I Saw Her Standing There" vibe. With more Crunch can get a Paranoid/punkish rock tone.

In my opinion, CS-2 has a little less squish than CS-3, but close. I keep Attack at 3 and Sustain at 9, just to even things out, push amp a tad. You can mimic it with the CS-3, just keep same settings. I don't think the CS-3 is as bad as its internet rep.
An overdrive into the CS-2 with Sus at 11ish sounds sweet. I don't use it as a typical boost; my GE-7 does that duty. You could, of course.

Ernie Johnson

There's a BCB6 Boss pedal board I've had for years. It used to be my only pedal board and I gigged it a ton. After starting with DOD in junior high I quickly landed my first Boss SD1 Super Overdrive and then added a Flanger (long lost now), PS2 Pitch Shifter Delay... and well that's the kinda stuff people had back in the day. Few people had huge boards, you just pulled them out of a bag. The BCB6 was like, "oh wow how cool. Crap can't fit a Rat so that might have to go" - lame, I know!

Last week I decided to load up the all Boss board again. Needed a Reverb to round it out so I picked up an RV6 for a great price.

My list:
TR2 "Keeley modded" Tremolo (there's no sticker, it's got two flip switches and a changed light, got it at GC, not sure it's really Keeley)
SD1 Super Overdrive
Angry Driver JB2
Sold my CS-3 - wasn't loving it as a comp or boost, use the Eventide and the MXR Custom Comp more

The results are not as fond as I recall. Maybe an all Boss board is just a silly idea. There's a reason why I moved to a Full Drive 2 (and eventually the OCD - all back when there were fewer boutiques). It was a little surprising considering how close I was to Boss and how much I love the form factor and switching. These days the effects market makes it like being in a candy store with gear.

Today with all these choices like BB Preamps, JHS Superbolts, Lovepedal Dover Drives, Skreddy P19s, Catalinbread Belle Epoch, Eventide H9 and then the amazing reissues like the EHX Big Muffs, MXR Script Phase 90 and so on - the Boss effects weren't quite as magical as I recall especially when they were all on one board.

Have any of you returned to Boss and been thrilled on some things and disappointed on another? Are there variants like Waza that made you happier?

Attachments

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member

My list:
SD1 Super Overdrive
Angry Driver JB2

It depends. Some Boss pedals have stand the challenge of time well, some don't. For example, DD2 is still a great digital delay in spite of all the modern options.
I guess you have the modern CE5A. I'd swap it for the old analog CE5. I'd also get rid of Angry Driver. BTW CS-3 is a decent compressor imho.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor

My list:
SD1 Super Overdrive
Angry Driver JB2

The only Boss stuff on my board is Waza

But I would rock a stock current production easy. The latest current production is amazing Waza or Standard verions tbh.

Last edited:

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Whuaaat? The Angry Driver is the best Boss Drive there is, that you can buy right now! And I know, I have them all.
Sorry for not sharing your sentiments. I'm not a big fan of what both Boss and JHS are capable to deliver since 2016. If you are happy with the JB-2 that's good. But "Boss best drive"? I seriously doubt it.
If I want myself something like that I'd better get me Analogman modded pre-2016 Boss BD-2 + MI Audio Super Crunch Box.
Once again, my preferences shouldn't prevent you from having fun with your pedals.

Sam Xavier

I have 7 Boss pedals on my board, although I'll happily put other brands on there, too. It depends on what's right for me, not the brand. What I have so far works for me, and anything else is chosen by its utility/application, not the name on the box. There are things by Boss I want to add, along with stuff from others.

On the board:

TU-3
BD-2
DS-1
Mooer ELady
Alexander F.13N
Mr Black Shepard's End
BF-2
CE-2w
TR-2
DM-2w
Strymon El Capistan

Optional:
Dunlop CGB 95
Digitech Whammy DT

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I like Boss just fine. I don’t use them much anymore because other things work better for me.

Boss doesn’t make an all in one treble boost and fuzz face for example.

Trending Topics