Tried riding the volume instead of effects

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Inspired by TGP I decided to go to a rehearsal with nothing more than an OD3 a Bassman and a marshall 4 x 12 to see what would happen.
    For a lot of the Bryan Adams covers I had no problems riding the volume, solos were a problem and most of the old rock songs were fine.
    It seems I really need my effects to keep me in the comfort zone, certain covers just sounded real bad without the sounds myself and my band are used to.
    With my blues trio I use only a tele and an AC30, but that's a different type of music.
    It was interesting for a while but I soon got bored and started messing with the tone control.
    This is a valuable experience for me as I can now take these bare essential techniques and apply them in my pedal-soaked playing, thus giving me the best of both worlds.

Might seem trivial but to an 80s kid like me it was an eye-opener!!

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I love riding the volume knob but it really depends on the music, ya know? That works great with blues and classic rock, but I don't think it works great for everything.

3. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I like the idea of going simple and "pedal-less" but I totally understand about your comfort zone. I just received an OD-1 and I'm torn to bring it to band practice and not bring my normal overdrives. Luckily, the TS9 (I currently use) and the OD-1 are in the same family so it's not a huge leap, but I'm in my comfort zone with the TS9 and I need to give the OD-1 a chance. I guess it's as simple as do what works for you.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Jay,

Like you, I cut my teeth gigging in the 80s. LOTS of FX, not too tone conscious back then.

Couple of potential ideas for you to get you over the top with your pared down rig:

1) Riding the volume control on the guitar is best for 'cleaning up,' compared to big volume increase/decrease. You've obviously figured this out!

2) Maybe just a boost pedal is what is needed for solos. Won't add tons of gain or mush out your tone, but will provide needed db boost.

3) Delay can go a long way in fattening up and smoothing out those solos on cleaner settings.

dave

5. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

I think "comfort zone" is key. I can absolutely gig with just my guitar and amp and get all of the level of gain I need riding my volume pot. In fact, after I got my current particular amp, I sold off all of my dirt pedals. But after a few gigs with the band I was in at the time, I quickly realized that, while possible, it was certainly a whole lot easier on me to set my amp clean and use a few dirt pedals to easily get the exact levels of gain I needed for a particular part without fumbling around with my guitar knobs every other note searching for the right spot- until that passage was over and then the next passage requiring more/less gain was upon me. D'oh! Not fun. Even if I marked the knob and body of the guitar, it would always be "not quite" in my head. Pedal knobs are set and forget. That consistency keeps me in my "comfort zone." I found the pedals and setting that get me all of the sounds I needed. I don't find anything wrong, inorganic, or even more convenient than that. I mean, think about it, if you've got a little board all set, the only added incovenience is one more trip in and out of the club and a few seconds hooking up another cable. That's not a dealbreaker in my book. If you're comparing taking a well-thought out board vs. even a single pedal, there is no difference.

That said, sparked by a new "must have" guitar, I just sold off most of my pedals. Ha! At the same time, I'm back into not currently being in a gigging situation which requires those pedals, either. We'll see what the future holds!

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Valid points all.
    One thing that suprised me is that breaking strings became much easier!!!
    Translating what my compressors do into volride technique was a fun expedition, makes me even more respectfull of folks like Jeff beck - using the vol for almost every note whereby the rest of us would only move it to go from lead to rythem.
    If it were'nt for the fact that I'm a telecasterer (!) I would definately love to utilise the vol more, but being that most of my gigs involve big lighting rigs and bad earthing, I have to use a noise suppressor and it cuts out anything below 5.
    Makes me think: My naked technique (as I now call it)has been hindered all these years by lighting rigs. Wierd.