Tried some new Fender amps today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by charley, Mar 2, 2012.

1. charley

charley Supporting Member

On my way home today, I stopped in to a Sam Ash to try some of the small Fender combos I've been hearing so much about: A Super Champ XD and a Blues Jr.

I had never tried either of these amps before. I had the chance once to use a Pro Jr. on a gig, and really loved it, but never a Blues Jr. Up until this point my attitude towards the Blues Jr. was that I'd rather have a Pro Jr. since it offered me the same amp in a smaller and more portable package. Having never seen one in person, I was surprised at how compact the blues jr was, and how portable. I found the tones to be quite nice, having that Fender sound that I really love. It's personality was much larger than it's physical size. The notes rang clear while still having a little hair on them, and I found the lower gain overdrive tones to be very musical. Once it got into the higher gain settings, I was less than impressed, and found a little more buzz than I cared for. BUT, higher gain settings are not what I use primarily, so this did not affect my overall opinion of the amp's "worthiness." I was surprised at just how full the sound was, and how responsive the amp was. I can see why some people here really seem to love these amps. While the sound wasn't necessarily otherworldly, it was still quite nice, full, and respectable. I found the Blues Jr. to be a solid offering.

I also tried a Super Champ XD for the first time. I have been interested in this amp ultimately because it has the 6V6's. There is some mojo in 6V6's for me that the EL84's just don't have. The onboard effects do not interest me at all. But I was curious about the voicing switch. Right away I noticed that this amp behaves in a much more in-your-face way than the blues jr. It was much more focused, and sounded tighter (due in no small part to the 10 inch speaker). I really liked the clean channel on this amp. On channel 2, I also enjoyed the blackface type tones, which I found to have a snap to them that the tweed tones lacked. When overdriven I liked the sounds of the Super Champ MUCH less. Overall, this is an amp I enjoyed for its clean tones, and would probably find myself using only those. For some reason, having all the extra options that I am not interested in is hard for my mind to handle, and is the SUper Champs biggest MINUS. Still, at Sam Ash's blowout price of $149, its hard to resist.

What did I learn? I want a Blues Jr. or a Pro Junior that can run 6V6's.

2. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Are you sure the super champ was $149? From what I can see they are blowing out the Vibro Champ for that price, not the SCXD. Very different amps.

3. charley

charley Supporting Member

Yup. Salesguy double checked because he didn't believe it.

4. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Nice reviews. I tend to see the modern amps as having lots of options, just not all of them for me...

5. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

The Super Champ XD has been replaced. Most online places don't even have them listed anymore. I enjoyed mine and would probably buy another for $149!

6. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

I'm hanging fire and waiting for the excelsior with its two 6v6's to hit the stores, I've been gassing for one ever since I heard the first demo of one.. so simple and full of useful tones for me..