tried the Decibel Eleven Dirt Clod or other Midi OD/Distortion Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rck, Feb 12, 2015.

1. rck

rck Supporting Member

the Dirt Clod is still new to the market and it is a more niche-type product, but for midi based boards, it could be useful. It has two styles of clipping and any of the parameters can be controlled by CC's.

I guess my concern is, since it can be difficult to find a OD/Distortion pedal to suite your rig, can one pedal really be that adaptable to give you multiple presets to make it worthwhile?

user of the Nova Drive, etc...want to weigh in?

-also, Molten Voltage was working on a midi OD/Distortion and FUZZ pedal...any update Bill?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. ironman28

ironman28 Member

You don't have to use MIDI to get something useful out of the DC or the Nova Drive. Combined with a good MIDI controller really expands the usefulness though.
    I have a ND on my main board and it is the core of my distortion/overdrive sounds. I use about 10 of the 18 presets and occasionally a pedal assigned to one of the CCs. I do have another pure analog pedal for high gain, MIAB type sounds that the Nova cant do as well.
    I have been looking at the dirt clod but it doesn't seem as flexible as the Nova drive. The routing feature of the ND is really what makes it so versatile IMO. Also you can pick up a used ND for less than $150

3. rck

rck Supporting Member

I have a fairly robust midi controller so thats one reason why I'm interested in midi od/distortion pedals and want to utilize em'.

I demoed the DC briefly at SNAMM last year and liked it. I also had a TC VPD-1, which I liked but the switches went bad...so a little reluctant to buy another TC pedal with their history of switch failures. Though, the ND and its routing capaibilties are awesome and unique.

I also saw them on sale for $140 new recently but not currently at that price.

The Dirt Clod is something new, so it has that appeal for me.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to look/listen to the ND a bit more.

4. ironman28

ironman28 Member

I haven't had any issues with the switches but once I programmed the MIDI settings I didn't use them anyway. The ND also has support for true bypass or buffered bypass. The downside is it is a power hog 380ma @12V:eeks
    The dirt clod only requires 65ma

5. rck

rck Supporting Member

daaaaaamn, I can cover that high power requirement (right now anyways), so no worries! Jeez.

That's a good point, about midi trumping usage of switches...I forgot that aspect...cool!

6. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

I actually bought 3 Big Muff Pi's (the full size ones) and finally found time to MIDIfy them a few weeks ago, I've just been too busy to put them on our site.

They're lots of fun since you can get a nice range of sounds out of the Big Muff. They store 128 programs and all you do to program it is set the pots where you want and toggle a little switch down then up. The program is then stored to the current preset.

Also, there is a relay bypass inside, so it will remember whether or not to be engaged on each preset. (soft touch switch)

And yes, I swap out the 1/8" power jack and use a standard BOSS style jack.

I'm struggling with the price. They're a pain to build since I start with a new Big Muff, keep the original Big Muff PCB and attach it to a new MIDI board, then replace most of the other internal parts, add a program switch, riveted MIDI jack, and a 2-color LED.

If anyone has thoughts on the price, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

.:. Bill

7. rck

rck Supporting Member

Wow, sounds great with all the options on it and I believe you "Midified" them to specs you displayed at NAMM 14 (toggle switch to save, etc...)?!

Couldn't begin to suggest pricing on that.

Muff, huh? My next fuzz was going to be a Germ FF type. If you put up a demo though, I would def take a look/listen.

8. rck

rck Supporting Member

bump, any other opinions on the Dirt Clod and/or other pedals in the same vein?

9. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

Here's the demo vid you requested...

Let me know what you think!

metro6audio likes this.
  10. rck

rck Supporting Member

Jeez, man, I think it's bad ass.

Demo is short and sweet but informative. Shows all the jacks, guts, some different settings, etc..

The functionality and features are super slick; storing the presets with the toggle, and the built in bypass relay are really smart and intuitive.

I'm just not a Muff guy (all jokes aside), I guess, though I wish I were; P5 and P7, might be useable tones for me. Pretty close to what I've been looking for...

Thanks, you put together the demo really quick.

11. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

The video is just using the camera mic and its getting pretty blown out by the amp. You can get much more subtle sounds, esp. if you use the volume control which also shapes the Muff tone quite a bit.

Glad you dig it!

12. rck

rck Supporting Member

thanks again, Bill, I'm a self-admitted newbie with fuzz, so I'll keep this one under consideration. And appreciate all your help with midi related questions in various other threads!

13. rck

rck Supporting Member

bump, thoughts and opinions on any Midi OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedals?

14. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

OK, finally got the Big Muff MIDI product page up and running.

I'm also intrigued by the mods that Source Audio is apparently going to do on various pedals to make them MIDI controllable. I've been bugging companies for the last five years to do this stuff - I'm glad they're finally listening to somebody, even if they aren't using my chips... ;)

15. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The following distortion products either have dedicated MIDI ports, or they can be controlled via MIDI through our Hub:

Multiwave Distortion Pro
    Multiwave Bass Pro
    Classic Distortion Pro
    Soundblox 2 Multiwave
    Soundblox 2 Multiwave Bass
    OFD Guitar
    OFD Bass
    (new products - not released yet)
    Kingmaker Fuzz
    LA Lady Overdrive
    Aftershock Bass Distortion
    (and the Neuro Module as Molten noted)

Our commitment to MIDI runs deep!

16. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

finally got a chance to try it out.. at namm. I am super super picky on OD's.. I really liked it. It had some settings that simulate a sagging cranked tube amp.. but you could dial that out easily too. I plan to buy one

17. datriani

datriani Member

I've been using a ND for the last 3-4 years and have tried to go back to a looping systems with multiple drive/fuzz boxes but in the end, the ND sounds close enough and the presets/versatility trumps the marginally better tones from individual pedals. It's a good enough solution for me. I'm definitely be interested in the DC and the Big Muff midi'ed unit.

Don't forget the T Rex. Spindoctor Version 1. That had a midi input as well AND tubes.....