tried the digiverb in the kemper loop

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jzucker, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

UGH! Not a good sound. I didn't think it would be. The built in reverb is not as bad as I thought it was when I first tried it. I guess I was just used to spring reverb since I had been using it for so long but I rather like the reverbs available in the kemper. I think it's a missing piece on the fender sounds to not have spring reverb though. Hopefully that's solved. If not, I may still pick up a reverb pedal but I guess I'd rather find out if it's going to be addressed in the near future unless I find a great deal on something used.

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

I'm still in shock the Kemper cant do sping reverb out of the box, cant get my head around what where they thinking..... being THE MOST present reberb in the real amps it profiles!.

3. jzucker

agreed

4. jzucker

my guess is that the prospective audience is mostly metal guys who probably don't use a lot of reverb and certainly not fender spring. That's the only thing I can figure

5. tgp100

tgp100 Member

The reverbs in the kemper are IMO of very high quality, very musical and suitable for lots of styles and I'm pretty sure a spring will come. The digitech spring rev is IMO very under par.
    As for now the rev in the kemper can be tweaked to mimic a spring rev, a compromise but can sound good. 99.99% of the audience wouldn't know the difference what reverb type this is when hearing this song posted on the kemper forum by Gizmo, "using the "Surf's Up" profile from Ruppert straight up with no tweaking".
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/in...-some-surf/?postID=197087&d24de9b8#post197087

Cover, Tailspin by Los Straitjackets
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/gizmo-35/tailspin[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  6. jzucker

you can't judge the quality of tone by what some random person in the audience knows. If we did that, nobody would care about profiling a superlead, a vibrolux, an ac30, and *NOBODY* would spend $4k on a two rock, much less $50k on a dumble, etc. We'd all be playing through roland solid state amps. That reverb does not sound like spring to me and does not capture the vintage tone.

I hope you're right that it will come but fortunately, I'm not playing surf so I don't have a dire need for the spring reverb. If i were in a surf band I'd get another reverb, regardless of what the audience perceives or not...

7. tgp100

tgp100 Member

I'm a spring rev cork sniffer and play lots of surf so I do care a lot about it and use a fender spring tube tank placed in front, not in fx loop.
    My point was that it's possible to try and mimic a surf spring rev for those who want to, using that profile mr ruppert posted. It can be very hard to pass different reverb blindtests since they can sound very different (all versions of built in vs rev tank in front brands etc, lots of choises.) For those who don't play surf or not done lots of comparisons the chances are even smaller to get a blind test right since it's very different than built in reverbs.
    Surf is vintage and has been played well over 50 years, and it's not meant to sound like a subtle vintage built in spring reverb.
    My previous post about spring reverb comparisons.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=19429080#post19429080

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I don't think that's true at all. The Kempers reverbs are really quite good. You just gotta tune them in to your sound

9. jzucker

whether they're good is not the question. The question is specifically re: Spring reverb. And not having spring reverb is a huge whiff when it comes to fender amps

10. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I hope they release a spring reverb in the Kemper sometime soon....

11. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

Did you try the reverb pedal out front? The Digiverb may not the greatest spring reverb pedal around but it still might work better out front. It's worth a try.

I have a VanAmps Solemate real-spring reverb pedal. It's a great reverb pedal. However, I've tried the Solemate in multiple loops of amps and modelers. The Solemate loses some of the magic in the loop. IMO it works much better out front of both modelers and amps. The same might be true of the Digiverb.

12. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

The Digitech Hardwire Supernatural Reverb is an excellent reverb pedal.

13. jzucker

Yes, i did try the digiverb in front. It works ok but of course only works good for clean sounds. If the amp is overdriving it sounds awful. And the built in reverbs still sound better than the digiverb in any case.

14. db9091

db9091 Member

Spring Reverb is pretty high on the user want list, from one poll, about #4

I prefer recording dry so I can add plugins or reamp. Too many times I've gone in with a wet signal and wanted to change the amount of 'verb and had to redo the part.

Live I still prefer a real spring (sold my Holy Grail and am missing it)

15. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I personally wonder why anyone would want spring reverb. Ugh... I cannot stand it.

They may have thought that those who are obsessive enough to demand a spring reverb out of the box would likely have a reverb tank anyway.

16. jzucker

The reason people would want it is likely the same reason why people would want to emulate tube amps instead of the insanely accurate response of a transistor amp. We are used to it and it's an innate part of the sound of a vintage fender amp.

And no, i'm not so obsessive that I'd want to use a real reverb tank regardless. I think many of us have been using an RV7 or Topanga or Holy Grail and we just want that spring(ish) sound with our fender amps.

I would flip it around and say that I can't understand how anyone who wants to play through a vintage sounding fender amp would *NOT* want to have spring reverb?

17. db9091

db9091 Member

I'm with nicolasrivera on this one. Many amps have reverb tanks. I can't imagine my former 65 Reverb RI without one.

A few amps I've had did have Phaser or Tremolo (tube effects, very nice) and the KPA has and can do justice to those (I miss my Peavey Classic 100 Phaser!) but many more have that tank.

It's not a #1 priority of Users yet, but I suspect it's in the works since it's top 5 (IDK either way.)

18. jzucker

You think it'll be in the rev 3 firmware? I'm just trying to decide whether I should buy a reverb pedal that's better than my digiverb.

19. db9091

db9091 Member

I'm not hearing anyone say that it is. This is assuming 3.0 was on the boxes at NAMM. If so, they surely would be touting it. But I've heard nada-zip so I'm guessing "no". Here's hoping I'm wrong!! ;)

20. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

That is another story because for instance, I wouldn't want to play through anything that sounded like a fender amp, much less if it was an old clunker.

I do have an RV-7, but I only use the plate setting. My roadster has a decent quality spring reverb tank in it... and you guessed it... it is always turned off.

My original comment was tongue in cheek. My dislike for spring reverb or fender is not (though the way I express my preference is), but then again, that is my opinion.