Tried the Marshall 1959 HW

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pfrischmann, Oct 16, 2005.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I tried the marshall 1959 HW the other day. Nice amp. It sounds like a split cathode ala 1969 to me. I heard more of a metal panel type sound. The top end was a little to bright and fizzy for me. That could work itself out with some time or some sozo caps.

It still seem a bit expensive to me..

2. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

gosh surely you wouldnt be talkin mods to that amp already. what sort of tubes did it come with ? does it have that big resistor that lends itself to ice pick tones ? im sure that amp sounds its best where we can least use it, i.e running as close to flat out as you can stick / get away with.

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I was running it flat out. No idea what type of tubes. It was good, just not great. Significantly better than the reissue stuff though, much meatier.

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

1959HW + immediate modifications = wrong amp.

5. kannibul

kannibul Member

but...but - they even drilled an extra hole for an additional 12AX7!

(other than adding a PPIMV, I fully agree...)

6. Timster

Timster Member

Did you play the amp with the new hand wired 4x12 (with the Heritage G12H 30s)? If so, maybe the speakers were at fault..

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

No,
    I played it with a fawn straight 4x12 from the early 70's. I wouldn't call swapping out one brand of caps for another I prefer....modding...btw. Just a personal preference.

8. pluto

pluto Member

I own the 1959HW and also own a 70 metalpanel (and 98 superlead reissue). It is supposed to be the split cathode early 69 plexi version. Although the HW is very aggressive, it sounds way less bright than my metal panel. The mids are generally flatter than my metal panel (which is very high mid) or reissue and with less sparkle on top. I was surprised at how aggressive it gets. As for tubes-its labeled marshall-probably russian. I played the amp through both the 1960HW cab and my mid 70's 1982 cab. It does sound a lot stiffer with the HW cab probably b/c the speakers aren't broken in yet. The HW is a great amp but yes, it's very expensive.

9. jpage

Rock on--if it's your amp, knock yourself out.

Just seems a bit insane to me to spend around $3000 on a mass produced amp that I didn't believe to be perfect. If you are going to frig around with replacing caps and such, why wouldn't you just either build your own with your own choice of components or have an experienced amp builder (there are approximitely 65,000 of them in the US right now...) do it for you? You'd save about $1000.00 or so also.

Many players in the 70s ripped PAFs out of their 1959 Les Pauls because they "preferred" DiMarzios, too.:confused:

10. KTT

KTT Member

I have one,theres a bright cap over the bright channel volume,REMOVE IT ,the amp is unusable with it,IMO,i just dont know why marshall put the cap on there,

This is not only the best amp marshall have ever made its also the best "boutiqe" amp ive had and ive had most of them,the great thing about it is it sounds just like a marshall!:p

The amp does not need "sozo caps" or any of that crap you must be joking,its perfect,nothing boutiqe amp wise ive had sounds this good,if you want a brand new marshall plexi this is it:cool:

11. jpage

Whoa--sounds nice...

I'll be waiting for the used ones to get to the emporium...:D

12. KTT

KTT Member

ps: forgot to ad that i have a bunch of original plexis too, and the hand wired 100 sounds better to me,no need to re cap,brand new components,no comparison

13. jpage

Are you using an attenuator?

14. jpage

Since you currently own a few plexis, can you tell me whether or not Marshall has tried to tame the high end? Too many modern builders have "darkened" the classic plexi tone IMHO.

Bright and in your face is how I like 'em...

15. KTT

KTT Member

Nope i cant stand them,i dont crank it that loud either,i like headroom, i cannot understand how guys get a sound on ten,at that sort of volume your drown out the rest of the band and the cab then takes on this horrible wuffy middley honkey sound,i run it between 2 and 6 with a pedal on there,i dont like attenuators with none master volume amps,that sound doesnt work(for me)

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Cool! Let's see a shot of the whole stable! M.E.

17. KTT

KTT Member

Yes you are right,alot of the copy amps are "to dark" mentioning no names, the top end is great! just like my originals,only this amp deosnt hum,has a hell of alot more headroom,does not fart out when i turn it up,because the filter caps are fresh and new,and is a hell of alot more reliable,let me tell you i have been looking for the perfect plexi for a VERY LONG TIME and its funny i tried this amp last! i mananged to pick it up second hand,but even over here in the uk these amps are expensive

18. KTT

KTT Member

If you PM me i will send you some photos(one amp at a time)i have a 67 super lead a 68 small box 50 a bunch of metal panel 70s amps,a couple of plexi pa heads(actually three of those) i dont really fancy dragging this lot outside though! so use your imagination,if you want shot of all of them together;)

19. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Hmm gotta try one of those...:D
    Mayby I can get it to sound like a Dumble;)
    Hehe love that clear open Marshall sound..perfect mids and all that.

20. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

too true....
    I actually did build an amp....more on that next....