Trifecta Is Great with Pedal Steel

byrdman

The Trifecta works great with pedal steel. Smooth, punchy, or gritty depending on how the strings are attacked. The pedal can be set to eliminate that "sizzly" high-end that fuzz pedals typically produce with steel. Tone and sludge controls are voiced well.

Setting for pedal steel:

Voulme: 10:00

Tone (pulled up -flat mids): 12:30

Sludge: 12:00

Fuzz: 12:00

Toggle Switch: to the right

steelplayer

Thanks for the heads up on this one! Not too often we see a Pedal Steel review of any pedals here! :BEER

What pickups are you using?

Definitely going to check this one out.

-LarryW

The Trifecta works great with pedal steel. Smooth, punchy, or gritty depending on how the strings are attacked. The pedal can be set to eliminate that "sizzly" high-end that fuzz pedals typically produce with steel. Tone and sludge controls are voiced well.

Setting for pedal steel:

Voulme: 10:00

Tone (pulled up -flat mids): 12:30

Sludge: 12:00

Fuzz: 12:00

Toggle Switch: to the right

byrdman

The pick ups are Lawrence L-710s on both a D-10 8X10 Zum and D-10 8X8 Franklin. These are the newer L-710s (1 1/2 years old) with the magnets exposed on the bottom of the pick up as well as the top. They are wound to approx 20,000 ohms and to my ear are less brittle than the older model L-710s.

Ohms are not typical on the 710 pick ups because my oldest 710s are wound to 30,000 ohms and are very bright and glassy. Bill and Becky Lawrence were very nice to deal with on the picks ups.

dividedsky

One of my favorite guitarists (Brock Butler) uses a plain ole Big Muff with his lap steel and it sounds really sweet.

GuitarX

Hey Byrdman, thanks for mentioning this! I've been really getting into lap steel lately and maybe the same results will work for that. I know what I'll be doing tonight!

Trending Topics