Trifecta Sounds Good But Slightly Woofy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by byrdman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. byrdman

byrdman Member

My Barber Trifecta sounds good but the low strings sound a little "woofy". The sound is not "boomy" but rather the lows lack a little "crunch". Are there any adjustments that may take care of this?

Thanks.

2. byrdman

byrdman Member

Dave -

Thanks for the reply. The settings on the Trifecta have been adjusted so that they sound fabulous. I play pedal steel and the pick-ups are very hot and I had the fuzz level a little too high. What I like about this pedal is that it does not have a "sizzly" high-end and the tone and sludge controls offer a great variety of tones if needed.

Here are settings that smoke with pedal steel:

Voulme: 10:00

Tone (pulled up): 1:00

Sludge: 12:00

Fuzz: 12:00

Thanks again for making a great pedal.

3. CaptRonJon

CaptRonJon Member

Hey byrdman, how many different fuzzes have you tried? I was looking at getting the Trifecta among others (Voodoo Labs Superfuzz and EH Big Muff). Does it capture that late 60's/ early 70's feel? I like the tone of Gilmour and Hendrix. Gilmour still uses a Big Muff and Jimi used a prototype of it which is why I'm leaning towards the Big Muff... and they are both true bypass. Do you like the overall quality of the Trifecta?

4. byrdman

byrdman Member

CaptRonJon -

We are in neighboring states and the Trifecta is a really great fuzz especially for the price and ability to tweak the tone. This is my top choice. Without expanding, Fuzz is like women (or like men depending on your gender or preference) or should I say Fuzz is like people. There are many personality types and the only way to find your matches like is to jump in and try at soft volumes and especially at loud volumes. and the personality of your equipment and touch is a big variable. You may end up with 5 fuzz pedals that you love.

I have been using an ICBM for several years which is very smooth but also has a very prominent low end and funky mid scoop. Reezafratzitz is good but a litle sizzly on the top end. SubDecay Flying Tomato......well this made alot of chicken scratch noises along with the fuzz. Mayo was muff like but did not clean up well at lower volumes and was a little top ended on tone. My stock Rat is punchy and midrangy and I will be sending this to Keeley for mods to see how it sounds. Have not tried alot of the other fuzz type pedals but if possible I would have 50 pedals shipped (on a temporay basis) and would try all.

Good luck.......and the Barber is a good one.

5. CaptRonJon

CaptRonJon Member

Excellent! I That's the one I was really leaning towards but needed a 2nd opinion on someone that has played one. Once again, thanks.