• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Trip to Maguire Guitars

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
Took a little ride to see Rick and drop off a bunch of Brazilian. Snapped a couple quick shots with the cell phone. My guitar is in progress and I forgot to get pics !!! D'OH! Did get one of the maple billet I supplied for my top though. Random crappy cell phone pics:
mytop.jpg

Brazilian.jpg

morebrazilian.jpg

Maguiresshop.jpg

RonH

Can't wait to see it when its done or while it is being built. Make sure to post any pictures you get.

Rick is building some awesome guitars. He sent me his demo guitar and it was tough sending it back. Really beautiful work he does!

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
Can't wait to see it when its done or while it is being built. Make sure to post any pictures you get.

Rick is building some awesome guitars. He sent me his demo guitar and it was tough sending it back. Really beautiful work he does!

Yes, awesome guitars. Cool guy to hang out with too.

Rick Maguire

Gold Supporting Member
Glad you had fun. I enjoyed the visit as well. Here is a shot of your top, bookmatched and prepared to jump into the rotation. This piece will pair nicely with the Hondo back and Brazilian board.

2dhimpv.jpg

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
Glad you had fun. I enjoyed the visit as well. Here is a shot of your top, bookmatched and prepared to jump into the rotation. This piece will pair nicely with the Hondo back and Brazilian board.

2dhimpv.jpg

Whoa, nice, are we gonna pick a color from The Beauty of the Burst book?

apalazzolo

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Brian,

Looking good ... I stopped to see Rick just the other day and saw your top along with about 5 others. They are really stunning in person. I think Rick said he's doing 6 guitars in this batch. He needs to post some more pics.

Rick Maguire

Gold Supporting Member
Whoa, nice, are we gonna pick a color from The Beauty of the Burst book?

Sure! While you're looking, keep in mind the ivoroid binding!

He needs to post some more pics.

Man, this guy is always giving me jobs!

This will be a Certified7. Korina neck and body, EI rosewood f/b. All woods 30-60 years old.
2mrv2i8.jpg
c7junior

Certified7 carved maple top Hondo back and neck, Brazilian f/b. All woods 25-60 years old. MOP trap inlays.
20sanwz.jpg
c7AP
1412gqq.jpg

This is Brian's Certified7 same specs as above.
315n8zn.jpg

2dhimpv.jpg

This will be a Contemporary, carved Tasmanian tiger myrtle top, Hondo neck, Spanish Cedar back, Madagascar RW f/b. The strange looking thing between the wood is a chunk of fossil mammoth ivory that I will slab for the diamond inlays.
2rqktoj.jpg

2gt9pfk.jpg

This will be my guitar. Meridian. Carved Tasmanian tiger myrtle top, Tasmanian blackwood neck and back/sides, Gabon ebony f/b. Ivory to be slabbed will match the sapwood.
24zf3h3.jpg

j0fkif.jpg

Also a Meridian, this one will be semi-hollow. Carved Gabon ebony top, fiddleback Hondo neck and back/sides, private stock Brz RW f/b. More mammoth ivory to be slabbed here, this piece is a light chocolate color that matches the streaking in the ebony. Very cool!
eg7sk6.jpg

fzagwp.jpg

apalazzolo

Silver Supporting Member
"Man, this guy is always giving me jobs!" Well, you know what they say, "No good job goes unpunished."

FYI to TGP - Guitars #2 (singlecut) and #6 (offset doublecut) are mine (or at least they will be when finished). Boy am I looking forward to THAT day!

Rick Maguire

Gold Supporting Member
Nice looking stuff.

Thank you, kind Sir.

Hey Rick, any progress pics available?

Here are a few shots of bindings being prepared. The first shot is the bending jig. The next two are purfling gluing jigs and the last is of some prepared bindings.

345fvpl.jpg

2h64jdz.jpg

9k6wc7.jpg

[
207988w.jpg

And here are some of preliminary inlay work. Ivory being slabbed, and along with some MOP getting ready to be cut.

6xyrk7.jpg

bitt6p.jpg

4segr9.jpg

8znq8o.jpg

Rick Maguire

Gold Supporting Member
Wow great looking Maguire Guitars in progress! Awesome stuff...

Thanks, Pa'ani.

Here's another shot for you guys.

18hl5v.jpg

Tony, your Meridian board is 2nd from left and your Certified7 is 3rd from left
Obelio, yours is 3rd from right
Brian, yours is 2nd from right

apalazzolo

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Rick ... I dig that pinstripe and the little curve at the end of the boards.

Rick Maguire

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, that board is some sweet. The curve at the end of the board is fun to do. The ebony can be a bear to bend and the miters take some finesse to get right, so that detail does take a bit of time to execute properly. However, when this is the result....
avsg05.jpg

....it is way worth the effort.

Now, about that inkline.... I know we talked about a 12th fret inlay, but I think it may detract from that classy, quintessential Brazilian look. And remember the headplate with the matching inkline?... I'm not sayin' I won't do the inlay, just sayin' ... Think about it.

I have 3 Brazilian boards in this batch. The photos below are of those 3 boards dry, and the same 3 wiped with naptha to show how they will look when burnished and oiled. Notice how your Meridian board keeps its appearance through the oil but the other 2 (yours is center and Brian's on the right) darken like ebony. Deliberate choices on all 3 counts. I wanted the board for your Meridian to keep that chocolatey luster to play off the contrasting look of the streaky ebony top. The other 2, being for Certified 7's, needed to have that dark, negra look in order to pay proper homage to the solid bodies of old.

se0wa1.jpg
2cyi4k0.jpg

Here's a couple more shots, guys. These are of necks having the fretboard gluing surface trued and headstock angles dialed in before routing for truss rods. The first one is Honduran for Brian's Certified 7, the 2nd is korina for a junior style Certified 7, the 3rd is more Honduran for obelio's Contemporary and the final one is Tasmanian blackwood for my Meridian,

1zdroyv.jpg
t5nekj.jpg

2n6assh.jpg
x451qq.jpg

Suriel Zayas

Silver Supporting Member
Rick, I've been wanting to post my impressions of your guitars for a while and this thread gives me just that opportunity.

At last year's amp show in New Jersey Kenny Barber brought one of your guitars and let me play it. Till today, I'm still speechless. In the last ten years it must be one of the nicest, funnest guitars I have come across. Kenny and I roomed together in the Hermida/Bludo Tone room and I'll admit I allowed no one else to try the guitar. Sorry for the selfishness and the drool you had to wipe off it, but when you find a gem it's hard to let go.

I love to play guitars unplugged, because that's when I really get to separate the apples from the oranges. The notes and chords sounded nice, loud, round and very resonant. The guitar felt so balanced, the way it hung on a strap (not neck heavy at all). The full contour of the instrument, from headstock to end pin, hugged the body just right. In the sitting position it just felt so comfortable also. The body contour felt just right when I placed my forearm around it.

Now to where in my humble opinion the guitar kills, the neck! The neck for me is like shoes. I could be wearing the fanciest Armani suit, but if the shoes don't feel good, I might as well wear dirty overalls. Keep in mind, it has been almost a year since I played it, but I remember it as if it were now. The radius of the fretboard made for some very comfortable bending and took nicely the playing of some complex chords and voicings. Rick, your fret work is probably the best I've ever played (Tom Anderson also takes pride in fret work). The fret finish was impeccable, absolutely smooth to slide of the hand. Not one snag on a fret. I guess it's the size of my hands, but this neck fit them perfectly. The heel allowed for unimpeded access to the higher register and all with comfort.

However, once plugged in to an amp (Bludo Tone Ojai) the guitar went from a piece of art that belongs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art to a full blown tone machine. This guitar belongs on stage and in recordings that will last an eternity.

Keep up the good work!

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
Nice comments Suriel, now it's even worse to wait for my Certified 7. I have to agree that Rick's attention to detail and his fretwork are just mindblowing. I played the same guitar you speak of and you are right on all accounts. Gotta get Kenny to order one too.

Brian

Rick Maguire

Gold Supporting Member
Rick, I've been wanting to post my impressions of your guitars for a while and this thread gives me just that opportunity.

At last year's amp show in New Jersey Kenny Barber brought one of your guitars and let me play it. Till today, I'm still speechless. In the last ten years it must be one of the nicest, funnest guitars I have come across. Kenny and I roomed together in the Hermida/Bludo Tone room and I'll admit I allowed no one else to try the guitar. Sorry for the selfishness and the drool you had to wipe off it, but when you find a gem it's hard to let go.

I love to play guitars unplugged, because that's when I really get to separate the apples from the oranges. The notes and chords sounded nice, loud, round and very resonant. The guitar felt so balanced, the way it hung on a strap (not neck heavy at all). The full contour of the instrument, from headstock to end pin, hugged the body just right. In the sitting position it just felt so comfortable also. The body contour felt just right when I placed my forearm around it.

Now to where in my humble opinion the guitar kills, the neck! The neck for me is like shoes. I could be wearing the fanciest Armani suit, but if the shoes don't feel good, I might as well wear dirty overalls. Keep in mind, it has been almost a year since I played it, but I remember it as if it were now. The radius of the fretboard made for some very comfortable bending and took nicely the playing of some complex chords and voicings. Rick, your fret work is probably the best I've ever played (Tom Anderson also takes pride in fret work). The fret finish was impeccable, absolutely smooth to slide of the hand. Not one snag on a fret. I guess it's the size of my hands, but this neck fit them perfectly. The heel allowed for unimpeded access to the higher register and all with comfort.

However, once plugged in to an amp (Bludo Tone Ojai) the guitar went from a piece of art that belongs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art to a full blown tone machine. This guitar belongs on stage and in recordings that will last an eternity.

Keep up the good work!

Wow man, I'm gonna have to go out and buy some new hats. I think my head just swelled 2 whole sizes. Seriously though, thanks so much for the feedback and kind words. If I didn't feel as if I was producing a well rounded and polished product, it wouldn't be out there for the world to see.

Let's see what we can do about getting a guitar in your your hands to do some recording.

Nice comments Suriel, now it's even worse to wait for my Certified 7. I have to agree that Rick's attention to detail and his fretwork are just mindblowing. I played the same guitar you speak of and you are right on all accounts. Gotta get Kenny to order one too.

Brian

Thanks Brian. You know that one of the guitars in this batch is for me, so I can commiserate on the wait.

Actually Kenny does have one on order. He is in line on the next batch. Last we spoke he was thinking about a jazzbox, but he recently bought a Campellone, so that might change. Whatever style he goes with, I'm excited about that build. As you know, he gets more excited and enthusiastic about guitars than anyone I've ever met. Should prove to be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom