Triple P90 Strat middle pickup question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Matt L, May 23, 2015.

1. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I'm building a triple P90 Strat, and have the neck and bridge pickups. The neck is reverse-wound, so the N+B position is hum-cancelling. I'm wiring it up with a traditional 5-way so I can get the 2 & 4 split positions, with the middle (3) being Neck + Bridge. Should I get another reverse-wound neck pickup, or a bridge pickup for the middle? I'd like to have hum-cancelling in the 2,3 and 4 positions.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'd like to have backrubs from kate upton, that ain't happening either.

if your N and B are reversed from each other for hum-canceling, you get to pick one to have the middle cancel with too. most folks in this situation choose to have M+B hum-cancel, which means the N+M won't. so that's essentially one bridge pickup and two RW/RP pickups for neck and middle.

also, a "traditional 5-way" won't do it, you need a superswitch to get N+B on 3.

ultimately, you might be a prime candidate for an ilitch hum-canceling system! one of these built into a backplate, pickguard or even the body, and you can have three of the same polarity P-90s and have them all noiseless in all settings, even individually, and with no tone loss!

i'm personally fine with the hum level of fender single coils, but P-90s are a whole other thing. with the ilitch systems, hearing real single coil P-90 tone without the racket is almost unnerving, like you're cheating physics or something.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    m-m-m and Matt L like this.
  3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Excellent, then another rw/rp neck pickup and a super switch it is!

I totally agree about P90 hum....it can be unreasonable! If I was starting from scratch, I might have even tried the Seymour Duncan Stack P-90s, but I already have the traditional P90s on hand. If this guitar turns out nice and worthy of spending the dough on the Ilitch, that might be what happens.

4. walterw

meh, stacked P-90s have never had it. they all just sound meek and bland by comparison.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My P90 strat didn't have any worse hum issues than the normal strat. All Gibson P90's same resistance. I wasn't trying to get the N+B though. I settled on 250K pots.

6. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I love the sound of P90s but the hum can be really annoying in the wrong environment.

On Facebook, Zexcoil, makers of innovative hum-canceling pickups, recently posted a photo of what appeared to be two Zexcoil P90s in a Gibson SG. If the sound of these pickups is as faithful to the original P90 as their Strat pickups are faithful to the Strat sound, these could be a great option. I have two Strats with Zexcoils (one Underwound SV5 set and one Fat Vintage set) and I love them.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. walterw

ooh! yeah, that could be a real home run.

8. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Ooh, I'll keep an ear out for those Zexcoils! Thanks.

9. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have the Ilitch backplate on my 3 P90 Reverend Slingshot. With help from Walter W. I reversed the polarity of the RWRP middle pickup (easy with P90s) so I had 3 of the same polarity to hook into the backplate. The guitar went from unplayably noisy in many rooms to being nearly hum free everywhere with no discernible change in P90 tone except for loss of hum.
    It has changed from being an occasional guitar to one of my main ones. Next project is to add a "reverend type" bass cut control to that guitar.

10. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Indeed, the Ilitch did the same thing to my Strat. Killed the noise completely, and transformed my Guitar to my main player.

11. macula56

macula56 Member

I took 2 of the back plates and mounted the coils in the body of the guitar like Suhr does on 2 of my Strats. excellent results. of course I had to unwind then rewind the coil completely to get into a manageable size to work with, it was worth it for sure.