Triple Rectifier cleans ?

rh

Robo Sapien NoiseMaker
Platinum Supporting Member
It looks like I have a series of gigs coming up where I have to use the main act's guitar amp backline - either a Diesel, or a Triple Rectifier. Never played a Diesel, but I did play a TR once back in maybe 2000. So I picked the TR.

There's no soundcheck and it's pretty much "OK, we're on," plug in, do a mic check and go. For simplicity, I will run all effects including delay into the front of the amp. Monitor mixes worked out as we go, etc. We've all been there.

I have a MIAB on the pedalboard. I supposedly was in the TR's clean channel last night but it was still super gainy and the set was like driving a car at 100 MPH that you've never even been in before. High stage volume and a pretty large venue / metal crowd so loud in FOH too.

For anyone who knows the amp: Is there a way to get something like the clean channel of a JCM 800 MV Split Channel out of a TR? Think 2205/2210/4210/4211/4212.

I didn't recognize the cab, but it was 4x12 closed back and nothing I've seen in the Mesa or EVH catalog. Soundly vaguely like Celestion V30s but honestly I was dealing more with the amp so I can't be sure.

rh

Robo Sapien NoiseMaker
I didn't check last night, but comparing memory from last night with pictures, today: Definitely 3-channel.

rh

Robo Sapien NoiseMaker
It was set to clean. One problem I recognize now but didn't last night is that the top right knob (gain) was nearly dimed. I had about 30 seconds to figure it out, and didn't do a good job on the spot.

EDIT: @Deadpool_25 : Thank you. Just discovered the back panel thanks to this.

As some other people have mentioned, make sure the mode switch on the clean channel is switched to "Clean," gain noon or lower, and

• on a number of Mesa amps, turning the Mid over noon will bring in an extra gain boost on the clean channel.

• depending on what sound you like, you also may want to run the treble a little lower than normal: on most Mesa/Boogies, Treble also functions as a kind of gain gate, and it's letting through all the gain around 2 o'clock.

• the Gain knob also adds more treble and bass to the overall signal, so for a clean sound, you want to cut treble and bass just a little bit as gain goes up, and bump them a little bit as you cut gain

My clean settings on my Rect-O-Verb 25 combo are Gain 12:00, Treble 1:30, Mid 10:00, Bass 1:30, Presence 8:30-9:00, but I've never needed to turn it up to stage volume, so I'm not sure how the clean headroom would be. The Gain knob adds so much to the tone that you might want to run it a little higher than seems intuitive.

Good luck!

Reactions: rh
Gain 12:00, Bass 12:30, Mid 11:00, Treb 1:30, Pres 2:00. Mode=Clean or Fat. Mind you, this is with a RoadKing and humbuckers, at LOUD stage vol, but the 3-ch triple is not much different.

Reactions: rh

Trending Topics