Triple Wah Shoot Out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by supergenius365, Jan 26, 2006.

1. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

This may be comparing apples to oranges and...uh...peaches, but all three of these wah options interest me and I could use some input:

1) Budda wah - traditional wah, good user reviews, true bypass

2) George Dennis Elite 50 wah - optical wah, minimal reviews, true bypass

3) Jacques Trinity wah - looks like a lot of fun - minimal but decent reviews

$200 is about my limit.

Thanks for the help.
    SG365

2. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have actually heard from some people who were really disappointed in the Budda Wah. You might consider adding the Teese RMC1 and the Home Brew Electronics Medicine Bawl to your list (I haven't heard this personally, but I've read a couple of places where peole say this is a best kept secret kinda thing).
    Good luck.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I would add the Fulltone Clyde to your list - great pro quality wah, and can be had for less than $200 used.

4. buddaman

buddaman Member

The Budda is by far the best I have used. True bypass, great construction and cool looks. The total package!!

5. drolling

drolling Member

Those optical wahs don't have volume pots to get scratchy, but they don't really sound like a traditional wah, either. Neither does the Jacques.

I've had a Bud wah since they first came out and it's given me no problems at all. Pretty solid construction, classic tones. Sounds good clean and has enough juice to cut thru' distortion, too.

6. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

Have you tried a Morley Tremonti wah? :D

7. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I'm buying a Clyde. Using a Vox now.

8. supergenius365

Yeah, the Tremonti is supposed to be a very nice deal. It has lots of good reviews on HC and has the bonus of a volume control. I have tried one, but it doesn't really seem to have a good range from high to low and isn't true bypass.

BOO-HAH:moon.
    SG365

9. playon

playon Supporting Member

I bought a used RMC III wah for $200 - I'm pretty sure it will slay those three.

10. ari

ari Member

I have George Dennis Parametric Wah/Volume, which is not the Elite, but since there is so little info on these I thought I pitch in.

Overall, I like my pedal. Here are the strengths:
    -quiet
    -large physical throw of the pedal -- helps me really fine tune to the area I want to play in
    -no tone sucking (though I don't think it's hard bypass. Elite says it is)
    -good vocal quality, at least on the par with 535Q (I compared it side-by-side)

The only niggle I have is that at the lowest end of the spectrum (when I have the pedal almost all the way toe up) I feel like the tone gets too dark in a weird way -- I want it to get as dark, but at that range it sounds more "woh" than "wah" just a bit synthetic. It's not a bad sound and is useful in its own way, but for clearner tone I stick to the top half of the range to avoid getting into that lower range.

9 out of 10 in my book. :D YMMV. Good luck!

ari

11. JamesW

JamesW Member

Using or rather used the Mark Tremonti wah. Too much high end IMO, but could probably be my amp as well. At first the switchless design was like a gift from heaven, but after using for sometime, I still prefer a normal switching type. Just got the Budda wah from Music123, still in honeymoon period.

12. TDavis

TDavis Member

+1 for the Budda...although I have'nt tried the "other two" you mentioned....I've been thru three wahs in about 2 years trying to find the "one" that fits my needs, and the Budda is the "best" so far.

13. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

You know what I have been digging lately...at least the idea of? The Z-Vex wah probe. A totally different approach with no moving parts that will wear out :)

14. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

+1 for Budda. I love mine. Although there's obviously nothing wrong with the RMC. It's just a matter of preference.

15. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

another budda here! i have owned/currently own.............. teese, vox,
    george dennis, fulltone, dunlop. budda takes em all!

16. supergenius365

Thanks everybody!

I ended up with a Teese RMC2, but just didn't dig it (Heretic! Burn him!). Budda is attractive with all the replies. Who knows, I may try them all!
    Thanks again.

17. jpig

jpig Supporting Member

If you don't mind me asking what didn't you like about the rmc2? I was thinking about picking one up in the future.

18. supergenius365

I guess I had exceedingly high expectations for it due to all the posts raving about it. It probably did a great job of imitating earlier wahs, but I am not particularly interested in obtaining "vintage" tones. Having said that, the price was way more than I felt justifiable for what I want to accomplish.

Its obviously well built and well liked by lots of people and if I was going for a certain vintage sound (but with modern updates) it would be a pretty hard choice to beat. But for me, it just wasn't my thing.

19. modoc

modoc Guest

+1 RMC 3. Mine has just replaced a Buddah, works fantastic with my OD100 and AC30 :)