Tripping with your amp

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Oldtone, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Oldtone

Oldtone Member

So, if I take an amp overseas to London and then to France,etc, what must be done to use an amp? Can you convert the voltages for temp use or do I need a new PT?
    I know nothing about the voltage over there.
    Thanks!

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Depends on the amp. Some are easy to convert, some aren't.

The easiest thing is probably to just buy a stepdown tranformer. You would plug the amplifier into that, and then that into the wall. You will need a decent sized one, not just a travel wall wart converter. Hammond has a series of stepdown transformers that would work. The series is 172. It converts 240 to 120.

3. cameron

cameron Member

How powerful an amp are you talking about? A stepdown transformer is potentially an annoying extra hunk of dead weight to lug around.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Been a long time! lol! Bob

5. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Also keep in mind that the physical power outlet connectors are different in the U.K. than in continental Europe.

6. Oldtone

Oldtone Member

I just went through the conversion thing for UK with my daughter this summer. She spent two months in UK, so we had to come up with the stuff required to convert her battery chargers, hairdryer(s),etc. We might do a summer trip with home bases in UK and France, sightseeing from there. I was thinking about a BJ size tube amp.
    Just didn't know if would be worth the expense of converters,etc.
    Thanks for the input.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Tripping with your amp calls for split second decisions.

Do you save yourself or save the amp?

Then again tripping with your amp can also be interesting when you watch your speaker
    cabs melt. :)

8. epluribus

epluribus Member

FWIW I carry a Line 6 Pod for travelling if it's an extended trip, and even that's a bit much if it's itinerant. The power for each country, however, is easy cuz the thing runs on a wall wart to begin with. What you'll end up with is a collection of universal (selectable output voltage and polarity) wall warts from around the world. But why not look into a pocket modeller like the Epiphone? Runs on batteries, and those you can get anywhere.

--Ray

9. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

travel for fun? or if your travelling for gigs, maybe leave at home and hire amps on the road, use the money to hire instead of costly shipping etc?

10. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

I had to do deal with this when I moved to Scotland a few years ago. Amps seem to run fine on a stepdown tranny, the trick is to get one that's a little larger than you think you'll need. I got mine here at the maplin store, a pretty common chain in the UK. It's a black box, 240 goes in, 120 comes out and everyone's happy. You can get a plug adaptor set for the rest of Europe while you're there too, and be set for France as well.

If you'll be here longer, Ted Weber has export trannys that will drop in most fender amps, and I finally swapped mine over.

FWIW, my amp sounded great on the transformer, as good or better than a straight 120v line. Go figure.

11. strat-rock

strat-rock Member

One time I was carrying my Twin to a gig, had it about chest high so I couldn't see my feet, and I hit the curb. I went straight down and fell directly on the amp. Because of the slant my fingers were fine, but the amp took a direct hit. Leo did something right, cause I plugged it in and had a great gig that night! Strong mo-fo those Twins!

Never took it over seas though...