'Tron + P90 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheoDog, Jan 26, 2015.

1. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

i am interested iF anyone has some experience with a Filter'tron bridge paired with a p90 neck pickup.
    Something like the Duesenburg Starplayer setup.
    I have a Gretsch Pro Jet, and I was thinking of putting a Filter'tron in the neck of one of my tele's. Seems I could take the neck Black Top 'Tron out of the Gretsch and replace that with a bucker sized P90 like the (Gibson p94)and then use the pulled pickup in the Tele.

Thoughts? Anything else I might want to consider?

2. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

Sounds like a Reverend Double Agent.

3. TheoDog

Not really. The only thing it has in common with my description is the p90 neck pickup.
    Bridge pickup, scale length, Trem style, Headstock format, Control layout are all different.

The double agent looks like a cool guitar, but not really a viable suggestion considering I am looking for some pickup swap ideas.

4. thebard42

Noted, I missed that is was in that guitar you wanted the swap. You know how it goes.

I dig P-90s, I have a GFS Mean 90 in the neck of my Epi LP Standard. It sounds very nice, and with a bass control that I added it get range from straty to quite fat.

5. thebard42

Also I have a Reverend Buckshot, which as a Filter'tron type pickup in the neck with a tele bridge pickup, that is also a great combination. I have never really liked the standard tele neck pickup, all of my telecasters have some kind of humbucker or another.

6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Didn't somebody once play a well known Gretsch with a staple top P90 in the neck?

7. TheoDog

Thanks Bard. The tele setup you describe is what I have in mind with the pulled Filter Tron.
    I'm am just wondering if anyone has feedback about a P-90 neck pickup paired with a Filter Tron in the bridge on a short scale.

8. Kostas

Kostas Member

I did that a few years ago, I replaced the tele bridge pickup with a TVJ Classic Plus. I have a Lollar P90 (wound 5% less than stock) in the neck. It's probably the most versatile guitar I have, excellent cleans and dirty sounds. From rockabilly to metal and everything in between. They work really good together, it's a combination I highly suggest.

[​IMG]

9. TheoDog

Great Tele, kostas!
    Does the p90 retain more clarity than a neck Humbucker or a typical Tele neck pickup?

10. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I did the reverse in an old melody maker and it was absolutely bad ass.

11. Kostas

Kostas Member

There are tons of pickups these days so I can't answer that. Yes, it has more clarity than the HB's I have played but there are HB's like the El Rayo that I haven't tried. I have a Budz tele set that is great, the neck pickup is not muddy but the P90 definitely has more balls than a typical tele neck pickup.

I believe Filtetrons and P90's are more versatile than most PAF style and Fender style SC's. Again that's general but you can play anything with these pickups and have a really good sound.

12. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Outputwise, I'd rather have a filter at the neck and a P90 at the bridge. Nice cleans and good drive guaranteed :)

13. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I liked it.... I swapped out the Filtertron for a T-90 (TV Jones) and it was nice. I think I would have preferred it to be a little brighter, but overall it was a nice combo.

The P90 in the neck of my Starplayer TV is FANTASTIC.

The Eddie Cochran Signature has something similar going too, but with a Dyna in the bridge.

14. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Sounds like something Ron Thorn could do....very well.

15. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

16. geneahn

geneahn Member

I'm thinking about doing this for a custom build. Any other people who've done this for awhile now...any regrets? would you change out the filtertron for another in hindsight?