Tronix 6L6GC - London. Anyone heard of these?

No457 Snowy

I picked this tube up about 5 years ago for ten bucks, NOS in the box, I thought it looked interesting and it was not expensive. The intention was to run it in my Trinity Tramp (takes 1 x 6L6GC) but it's been sitting in my stash since then and I wondered if anyone here was familiar with it or could ID it as to the maker (being that 6L6GC is a US designation). There's no other printing on the tube other than what's in the pic.
Tronix%206L6.jpg

Blue Strat

Nope, cheapo soviet "6L6 like" tube. Known as fire crackers and relegated for use as 6V6s by Groove Tubes (a few decades ago) because they couldn't handle US 6L6GC voltages very well.

No457 Snowy

Thanks Mike, my Tramp (Cathode biased) is running 365 volts (pin 3 to pin 8) with a JJ 6L6GC and plate dissipation at around 29.4Watts (the JJ is spec'd for 30W dissipation), so I think I'll not risk experimenting with the Tronix tube.

zenas

Think that's the same Russian tube that was relabeled alot a few years ago. Like "RCA made in USSR" for instance.
Had a quad of those in a SFTR, actually sounded ok but they were so mismatched I just replaced them. Couldn't even make a half decent matched pair out of them. lol

Blue Strat

Think that's the same Russian tube that was relabeled alot a few years ago. Like "RCA made in USSR" for instance.
Had a quad of those in a SFTR, actually sounded ok but they were so mismatched I just replaced them. Couldn't even make a half decent matched pair out of them. lol

Yeah, I've seen them relabeled in a variety of ways.

Vanyu

I stand corrected! I have a couple of Peavey branded RFT's that look pretty similar, "Made In Germany". These actually Russian made for RFT?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom