1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Tropical fish caps . . . why so valued in wahs but nowhere else?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by KissTone, Jan 11, 2013.

1. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

Just wondering about this and figured I'd post it here---when people get of woozy over truly vintage wah circuits, they love to see those 'tropical fish' striped capacitors . . . but yet you don't hear about them so much in other circuits. Why is that?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Cause Tantalum caps have a spikey high end that's good for the range in a wah epdal but ouch for the ears in an amp.And a burnt tantalum cap smells very,very bad so they aren't used in guitar amps anymore.They did use some in early amps and Traynor used them but they suck for guitar amps.Too hi-fi sounding.great in pedals though.

3. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Tropical fish caps are poly film. Not tantalum. And the only reason people like them in wahs is because some old Vox/Thomas Organ ones had them.

Page of Cups likes this.
  4. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

yep, it's what the originals had

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Could it also be related to maximum operating voltages? I have no idea.

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I'm also guessing that the answer is that they're what was used in the original.

But I also have to say that I've appreciated "tropical fish" in a couple of guitars. They're not as smooth as paper in oil (which I also use), but they do have a certain character that is worth exploring - using the soldered-in alligator clip method for quick-exchange of various caps.

One drawback: tropical fish are brittle.

- Thom

7. mxvin

mxvin Member

had a couple in my 68 Blackline Princeton Reverb. Had to change one out as it kind of fell apart.

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Hmmm...I thought they were tantalum.I stand corrected.

9. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

+1 on the brittle. I built quite a few pedals with them and broke several with very little coaxing. Sound wise I found them to be cold. I also found them to stay very close to spec (hundreds) regardless of the source. I'll assume they were well manufactured in their day. Probably more mojo than meat but there you have it.

10. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

"Poly"- what? Polyester or polypropylene?
    They are still manufactured by Vishay, but not painted in pretty colorful stripes. Type MKT368, metalized polyester.

11. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

12. DT7

DT7 Member

You can find them in older Vox amps as well. If I'm not mistaken, the originals were polystyrene...one of the most sonically correct caps out there. Better than polyester or polypropylene.

13. pdf64

pdf64 Member

14. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

You can also find them in some mid-70s Marshalls...and they're not very desirable either...

15. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure that the Tropical Fish in my '68 (?) Vox Italian Wah contribute to it's bigger and slightly deeper voice. I've had many Vox/Crybaby Wahs from Italy that have had the Film Can Inductors but this is the first with the Tropical Fish and it stands out from the rest in a good way. Btw it's for sale in the Pedals Emporium now.

16. rousejeremy

rousejeremy Member

You see them as output caps on Fuzz Faces every once in a while too.

17. DT7

DT7 Member

The term "tropical fish" refers to how the cap was color-coded...not the manufacturer or the dielectric. There were all types of "tropical fish" capacitors running around out there...still are. It explains why a "tropical fish" cap in one amp may be different composition to one found in another amp (or pedal). But the WIMA caps came before, not after the mustards in the Vox amps. They came in two versions...first Duralit and later Tropyfoil. The Tropyfoil were polystyrene...not polyester. So if you have Tropyfoil "tropical fish" caps, the ones most folks rave about, they are polystyrene. The Mullard caps weren't even introduced until 1964...so what do you think they were using in Vox amps (and pedals) until then (and probably for awhile after)?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

nobody calls the wima durolit and tropyfoil caps tropical fish caps.

19. pdf64

pdf64 Member

The Wima caps I've seen in old Vox stuff have been gold radial cylindrical types? eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-WIMA-DUROLIT-3300pF-1000v-CAPACITOR-AUDIO-/150590933830
    I guess it all depends on what is understood by the term tropical fish cap; the type I linked to seemed to accord to the prevalent type when I started in the business in the mid 80s, agree that it's likely other manufacturers used such color coding.
    Something that seems odd to me is that polystyrene is a less efficient dielectric than polyester / mylar, see http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/dielectric-constants-strengths.htm
    I've not noticed polystyrene used for values much over 1nF; is anyone aware of manufacturer's info for such cap types?
    Pete

20. stellablue

stellablue Member

Also used in the Clark Gainster