Trouble converting .WAV to .flac using Exact Audio Copy

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by vds5000, Mar 27, 2020.

1. vds5000

vds5000 Member

Hey there, anyone out there knowledgeable with EAC? I was able to rip and convert music to .flac files from original CDs using this in the past (a few years ago). However, when I tried it again today (after not doing it for a few years), I couldn't get it to work. It's ripping to WAV no problem, but the conversion part isn't working. The WAV files are also not being deleted (which is supposed to happen after the conversion).

In the 'Compression Options' section, I've selected the following:

Parameter passing scheme: 'User Defined Encoder'
    Use file extension: '.flac'
    Bit rate: '1024 kBit/s'
    'Delete WAV after compression' has been checked

Then, I'm selecting the following action:

Action>Copy Selected Tracks>Compressed

I suspect I'm missing something trivial. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  2. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

I'm not familiar, but you say you select "Uncompressed." WAV files are uncompressed and FLAC is compressed but lossless compression, meaning the software picks out redundancies in the 1s and 0s of the digital file without losing any additional information like mp3s lose. I haven't dealt with flac in a long time, but I remember I would choose the most compression, meaning smaller files but longer to encode, and slightly more expensive on computing power to play them back. This was way over a decade ago and my computer back then was no monster.

3. vds5000

vds5000 Member

My apologies - a typo on my part. The action I selected was Compressed, not Uncompressed.

4. syzygy

syzygy Member

I don't recall EAC having the ability to convert uncompressed WAV files to compressed FLAC files. And I don't recall that a lossless encoder was ever available for EAC.

You can compress WAV files & decompress FLAC files using Trader's Little Helper

5. vds5000

vds5000 Member

When you install EAC, it comes with an external FLAC exe. You have to go into EAC and select that program (which resides in the EAC folder). I've been able to do this successfully in the past with EAC, but that was a few years ago. There have been many Win10 updates since and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my current issues. This is driving me bonkers.

I'll look into the program you mentioned above.

6. syzygy

syzygy Member

Yes, software & OS incompatibility is a possibility.

You could be extracting the WAV files from the CDs at too fast a rate. Years ago, mid-2000s, I remember reading that fast extraction rates yield greater # of errors during the extraction process & can end up corrupting the extracted WAV file(s).

It's also possible (the laser diode on the) cd-disc drive/burner is too old.

7. vds5000

vds5000 Member

I don't think the cd-disc, drive/burner is an issue because I'm using the same 2 laptops now that I was used in the past to complete this task. I still think the solution is probably going to be a simple one. More than likely it's an I-D-10-T issue :)

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

esowden likes this.